Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read-only bans

Options
  • 01-08-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Can you make a ban equal read-only permissions for a forum?

That way a user can still read a forum without having to log out, considering the forum can be read loged out anyway the current way makes no sense.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

but it's really, really annoying having to log out to read a forum (trust me on this). it's a worthy part of the punishment.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Ah but Firefox automatically enters my passwords, so it's not much hassle to log in and out at all.

I laugh in the face of your After Hours ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

but it's really, really annoying having to log out to read a forum (trust me on this). it's a worthy part of the punishment.

Hey Mord we tried to bring down the catering company and the Students Union President (aka LORD) back in the day, any chance you could unban me from After-Hours while your king for a day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but either way... no.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jackz wrote: »
    Can you make a ban equal read-only permissions for a forum?

That way a user can still read a forum without having to log out, considering the forum can be read loged out anyway the current way makes no sense.
    Easier ... don't get banned! :pac:

(I know ... I'm an unsympathetic, insensitive, smartass p$$$k ... I'll say it for you, Jackz, save you earning yourself another ban! :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Although PIK, being able to view a forum and not being able to post will help re-inforce against the compulsion the said-banned-poster has from irresponsibly posting in that board. Reinforcing the less typing more reading conundrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think if you could still read the forum, you might be tempted to create another account so you can reply to the thread you got banned from, so a full ban is probably the best option...

I know you can just log out to read the forum, but that's kind of a pain in the hole.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Don't get banned. Simple.

We're not retarded, we know you can log out to read it, you can even register a new account to post there. We're not under the impression that somehow people magically disappear after they're banned. A ban is a way of inconveniencing someone for breaking the rules. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think if you could still read the forum, you might be tempted to create another account so you can reply to the thread you got banned from, so a full ban is probably the best option...

I know you can just log out to read the forum, but that's kind of a pain in the hole.

Dude, people read forums they are baned from loged out and sign up a second account to repond as it stands it will make no difference, it's zero inconvenience all you need is a serperate browser to read the forum(s) you are banned from.
    CuLT wrote: »
    Don't get banned. Simple.

Cheers.

We're not retarded, we know you can log out to read it, you can even register a new account to post there. We're not under the impression that somehow people magically disappear after they're banned.

Woah, im going to chalk this down to you being the tallest 12 year old technical developer on the go or else recommend several hours of deep sleep and a good ride stat old red eyes.
    A ban is a way of inconveniencing someone for breaking the rules. Nothing more.

Eh is a ban not to prevent a user from further contributing to a forum as their contributions so far have been deemed to be unacceptable? As pointed out above there is no real inconvenience for a baned user to read a forum.

If it can't be done cool but there is no good reason for it, baned users are not evil people or anything, well most.

I heart multi-quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I say either full bans or just ban bans.
    (btw, that rhymes with bon bons).

I'd hate to be reading a forum I was banned on and not be able to post in it. It's like "you can look but you cannot touch"...

I'll just finish up by saying that my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Jackz wrote: »
    Woah, im going to chalk this down to you being the tallest 12 year old technical developer on the go or else recommend several hours of deep sleep and a good ride stat old red eyes.
    Hey, why don't you just sit out the next couple of weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement