Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Excavator ticket / experience

Options
  • 01-08-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I currently have an office job - but I have an interest in machinery of all kinds - I've never driven a truck but am in the process of getting truck lessons with a view to getting a licence - not because I see it as a full-time career anytime soon but always wanted to be able to do it......

I am also interested in being able to drive an excavator - trouble is how does one get experience of driving an excavator now without having a ticket....this might be a foolish idea considering the way the Irish construction industry has gone but nonetheless it interests me....although with a finance backroung I know the economics of owning/operating either haulage or construction machinery in Ireland currently do not stack up as a profitable career for many people.....

I imagine there are few employers who would allow anybody without a ticket ie non-experienced to 'learn' to drive a 13 ton machine...nonethess I'd like to hear what people think....

Has anybody else been in this situation - and how to get around it?

Are there any beginner courses? ie equivalent to driving lessons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A2fan wrote: »
    I am also interested in being able to drive an excavator - trouble is how does one get experience of driving an excavator now without having a ticket....this might be a foolish idea considering the way the Irish construction industry has gone but nonetheless it interests me....although with a finance backroung I know the economics of owning/operating either haulage or construction machinery in Ireland currently do not stack up as a profitable career for many people.....

I imagine there are few employers who would allow anybody without a ticket ie non-experienced to 'learn' to drive a 13 ton machine...nonethess I'd like to hear what people think....

Has anybody else been in this situation - and how to get around it?

Are there any beginner courses? ie equivalent to driving lessons?
    Your best bet would be to contact FAS for advice.

Strictly speaking, anyone with a category 'W' driving licence is legally entitled to drive any works vehicle on a public road. (In saying that, it is generally illegal to move a track machine on a public road without the use of a low loader).

However, many of these vehicles are only ever operated on private property and therefore a "driving licence" is not legally required but a 'ticket' is for insurance/health and safety purposes.

Advertisement