Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My answer papers...

Options
  • 02-08-2008 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

I wrote an amazing article in my English exam. Is there no way at all that we can actually take our answer books home with us once all the stuff to do with grading is all finalised?

i really want it :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

You get to look at it...

You could sneak a few snaps with your camera and copy it if it really means that much to you.

Personally, I never wanna see them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Oh God. I personally would hate to see my old exams. I would tear them apart, kicking myself over every little mistake. Your article had better have been brilliant, otherwise it mightn't look so good second time around!

And I really don't think you could take your answerbook home because there'd be nothing stopping you showing it to a 2009 LC'er. Obviously the same question won't be asked again, but still another person could get a lot of information from a marked booklet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

You are definitely not allowed bring them home, you aren't even allowed to photocopy them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 poppygirl2608

YOU cant photocopy them................but your teacher can......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I asked about this before, and they said you have to wait a certain amount of time (years or months I think), and then under some freedom of information act you are allowed to have it back. Load of hassle.

Of course you could just try to reproduce it yourself. I was very proud of my junior cert short story also (filled with sorcery and betrayal it was!), and just reproduced it in 5th year. (it didn't work out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

raah! wrote: »
    I asked about this before, and they said you have to wait a certain amount of time (years or months I think), and then under some freedom of information act you are allowed to have it back. Load of hassle.

Of course you could just try to reproduce it yourself. I was very proud of my junior cert short story also (filled with sorcery and betrayal it was!), and just reproduced it in 5th year. (it didn't work out)

Ah I see, thanks for letting me know

Just seems a bit of a waste to throw something in the bin or whatever happens to them instead of giving them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

nerd3000 wrote: »
    You are definitely not allowed bring them home, you aren't even allowed to photocopy them!!
    Does anyone know why this is? Where do the papers go after your school like? What use are they to anyone in the department of education?

I dont see why we cant just keep the papers once we're not going to appeal the result...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

blue-army wrote: »
    Does anyone know why this is? Where do the papers go after your school like?

The government store them for a good few years (7 i think) after which they are destroyed.

I plan to have a look at most of my exam papers. Not planning of appealing anything but just want to have a look anyway and see what I did good in, and what I did bad in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

YOU cant photocopy them................but your teacher can......

NO YOUR TEACHER CAN'T!! a lad in my school got 98% in English and his teacher wanted to photocopy the essays and stuff like that, not allowed!!! It's just the way it is!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The scripts are SEC property, they are not 'yours'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 poppygirl2608

nerd3000 wrote: »
    NO YOUR TEACHER CAN'T!! a lad in my school got 98% in English and his teacher wanted to photocopy the essays and stuff like that, not allowed!!! It's just the way it is!

well my english teacher is badass and breaks the rules :p coz he photocopys the one's he likes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

spurious wrote: »
    The scripts are SEC property, they are not 'yours'.
    Does that mean they could republish things students wrote as their own? (I dunno why they would want to, but you know...)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

In English class this year we were given a booklet of about five A1/A2 essays on Macbeth which were from actual leaving certs. I always wondered if the students got any royalties from it, bit scabby to be making money off someone else's work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If you've ever noticed the "Overheard in Dublin" books, always strikes me as a bit of a racket. Get internet users to submit stuff, sell as book. Maybe the pricie goes to paying for the running of the site, though...
    Basically I wouldn't be surprised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does that mean they could republish things students wrote as their own? (I dunno why they would want to, but you know...)

Extracts from papers are used 'in house' within the SEC for various purposes - examples of where a number of students went very wrong for instance. The whole paper wouldn't be used. Sometimes an answer from a question will be used to train correctors and the like.
    Piste wrote: »
    In English class this year we were given a booklet of about five A1/A2 essays on Macbeth which were from actual leaving certs.

I'm surprised someone published essays in a book - was there a name with that book? I can't see how someone other than a Chief Advising Examiner or an Examinations Assessment Manager would legitimately get their hands on scripts. Unless perhaps those essays had been given out at a Department/SEC inservice as exemplar work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It wasn't a textbook, it was photocopies my teacher gave us, I think it may have been from an inservice perhaps?

Advertisement