Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to materials for DIY hifi rack?

Options
  • 02-08-2008 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm looking to build a DIY hifi rack and so far I have'nt been able to find what I need to do it. First off I need four 1m lenghts of M24 threaded bar, six 1m lenghts of M16 threaded bar, washers nuts and domed nuts to fit both size bars. Then I need 36mm and 48mm thick MDF. If anyone would know of somewhere in Dublin that stocks these bits, it would be brilliant!
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Donnellys do threaded bar http://www.mdonnelly.ie/index.html

I use it with epoxy resin when walls aren't very good.

Larrys Diy do timber cutting and I'm sure they sell MDF.

http://larrysdiy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭doggiedee

Cheers for that 311, will give those places you mentioned a shout Monday morning! If all goes well, I'll be sticking up a few pics of my new rack soon!
    Cheers,
    Dave.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

doggiedee wrote: »
    Cheers for that 311, will give those places you mentioned a shout Monday morning! If all goes well, I'll be sticking up a few pics of my new rack soon!
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    Don't forget Monday is a bank holiday, so they may be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

you will probably have to order in MDF that thickness.

Must be some size of HIFI . that's very heavy duty materials

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

If it happens that mdonnelley's don't have the threaded bar, do try john murphy castlerea. They can next day deliver and are a lot cheaper than the majority of the places for all, bolts, nuts, rawlbolts and threaded bar produce..

With regard to the MDF i have work in a hardware and the thickest mdf i have seen will has been 25mm but saying that it may be possible to get thicker. It would most definitely be a special order though.

Do you really need that thick of MDF? 25mm would support up between 400-500kg if braced properly. Is it neccessary to go to that thickness? And with regard to the threaded bar M20 threaded bar really should suffice unless it is one kick a55 system.

Do forget to use nylock nuts on the threaded bar because the vibration of the speakers could eventually unrattle and unscrew your standard nuts.

• Advertisement

If its purely cosmetic reasons for having thick mdf ,larrys diy sell rolls of iron on finish for the sides of mdf.
    It makes the sheets look like solid timber.

Hi folks,
    Byte, cheers for reminding me about Monday! I'd completely forgotten!
    Like 311 says, the thick shelves are purely cosmetic. I got a set of plans of a guy in Holland for the rack that he built and I'm looking to copy it. His shelves were made of 12mm birch plywood but he used 4 sheets for the top and bottom shelves and 3 for the rest. The reason he went this route was He hollowed out the middle of the shelves and filled them with sound damping material. I on the other hand don't want that much hassle, but want the look. Here's a quick pic of what yer man built:
    image032.jpg
    If those thicknesses are special order, I'll probably just sandwich some thinner sheets together to get the desired thickness.
    Thanks for help everyone!
    Cheers,
    Dave.

Looks cool thanks for posting the pic ,if it was me building it I'd try and stick a glass shelf in the middle .Or even piece of acrylic stuff or whatever.

Good look with it ,great idea:)

Edit : Just to let you know what seems to be cool at the moment ,I worked for an architect a while back and she dark stained plain plywood. The effect was really nice ,dark and cream lines in the wood looked really well (Just a thought)

Actually, thats the kind of colour I was going to go, nice and dark. C'mere though, when mentioned about putting in a glass shelf, an idea popped into my head. This might sound stupid, but here goes! Say for the 36mm shelves, use 2 layers of 12mm mdf and a 12mm layer of perspex/acrylic sandwiched in the centre. Could work, maybe put led's at the back of each shelf so the light comes through? Anyways, just an idea!
    Cheers,
    Dave.

That is a deadly looking rack, I thought you were doing a botch job i must confess but damn it looks nice,

If you cant get the thickness put two sheets together and just get the iron on veneer that is the desired with and put it on the edge of the bonded sheets and noone will know the difference.

• Advertisement

stick-dan wrote: »
    That is a deadly looking rack, I thought you were doing a botch job i must confess but damn it looks nice,

Probably will be a botch job when I do it, but yer mans one is sweet looking!

ah it'll be fine i've every fate!:D:D

post up some pics and let us see how ya got on :D:D

Advertisement