Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Question

• 02-08-2008 1:26am

Hey, I was wondering if ye could help me with a few things.

I'm going into second year in GMIT. This will mean a lot more college work and resulting in me cutting back my hours to the bare minimum. As a result I will be struggling to keep myself going with regards to rent, bills and surviving.

1: I turned 23 in June. Would I be able to apply for a Mature Student grant this year?

2: My family live in Tuam. I think there is some distance rule with regards how far away your family is from your college?

3: What exactly is the pay bracket when it comes to your families earnings. I never get money from my parents

Comments

Hey

Hello!
    I was wondering if ye could help me with a few things.

I'm going into second year in GMIT. This will mean a lot more college work and resulting in me cutting back my hours to the bare minimum. As a result I will be struggling to keep myself going with regards to rent, bills and surviving.

1: I turned 23 in June. Would I be able to apply for a Mature Student grant this year?

If you look for a grant now, your circumstances when you entered college would matter. So turning 23 when you're in college doesn't mean you'd be a Mature Student, although if you were 23 or over on the 1st of January in the year you start college, then you'd be classed as a mature student.

So basically right now I'd hazard a guess that you'd be assessed on your income for 2007 as well as your parents'.
    2: My family live in Tuam. I think there is some distance rule with regards how far away your family is from your college?

There are two rates - adjacent and non-adjacent. Non-adjacent is for students who are living more than 24km away from the college; adjacent is for those within the 24km circle. Mature students get the non-adjacent rate (which is much more) automatically.

The rates are in my sig on the citizensinformation website.
    3: What exactly is the pay bracket when it comes to your families earnings. I never get money from my parents

Well it depends on various factors such as how many 'dependents' your parents have, and ridiculously you'd be classed as a dependent even if you're not dependent on them! But the income limits are available in the link in my sig (Third Level Grants : the citzensinformation one)

Since you said that things might get tight next year, you should remember that every college has a fund which students facing hardship can get some money from. It's called the Student Assistance Fund, and while you may not need it it is worth keeping in mind. You apply for it from your Student Services Department or whatever the equivalent in your college is :)

If there's anything else sure fire away!

Dónal

Advertisement