Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs and a member

Options
  • 02-08-2008 3:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

I dont believe censorship of this issue is in keeping with Boards tradition. Yes its terrible Niall died but he took drugs. Lets not let emotion overcome reality. There are issues to be adressed. Bannning people and shutting threads of discussion is akin to censorship. Surely Boards admins are more mature and know the dangers of that. This is something that the public want to hear about. How else to dissaude drug taking? .........im open to your suggestions.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think really, this is for the admins to decide. I've not seen (I think) one post on the issue.

Apart from that, I'd say the mods/smods can only do what the vast majority think is right - and as they seem to have taken offense to it, there's been censorship.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ever hear the expression " dont speak ill of the dead"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Wow, a living, breathing, presumably sentient being actually started this thread.

My mother told me the world was full of idiots, I didn't believe her.

You were right again mom :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Oh ffs do we really need another Feedback thread about this?
    Just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Ever hear the expression " dont speak ill of the dead"

What smith said. Its not really censorship, that would be removing the thread from view. You really didn't need to drag this up again in another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

darkman2 wrote: »
    I dont believe censorship of this issue is in keeping with Boards tradition. Yes its terrible Niall died but he took drugs. Lets not let emotion overcome reality. There are issues to be adressed. Bannning people and shutting threads of discussion is akin to censorship. Surely Boards admins are more mature and know the dangers of that. This is something that the public want to hear about. How else to dissaude drug taking? .........im open to your suggestions.

give it a rest.

a lot of people dont like what was put on the thread about logic1.

i dont care what you think about censorship, but at least let a bunch of people have their waywith respect to a deceased friend.

is that too much to ask without a bunch of gob****es jumping up and down and demanding free speech and equality for all people?

its not about you, and its not about drugs.
    its about some people wanting to have some respect for a friend.
    i respectfully suggest you suck it the fúck up, and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Jesus christ, darkman. Have you any idea what people go through when they lose a loved one? How do you think his family would feel if they saw all this. People know that drugs are dangerous. Drug use is associated with all kinds of socio-economic and personal factors.

To imply that we can do something about the country's drug problem by disrespecting a dead man, that many people here were friends with, is both insensitive and misinformed.

I agree with you insofar as I don't think terrorfirer should have been banned. But these kinds of threads have no place amongst people who have even an ounce of civility or respect within them.

You have zero dignity, if I may say.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Okay Ive had a looksie.

I'm with the Logic1 crowd here - I never knew the guy, but theres things you just don't do. One of them is help defame the deceased in front of their friends and family. Case and point my stepmother dies of Hypothermia because she was too drunk after her work's xmas party to walk down the right, unlit road in December: How many people at her funeral do you think were discussing Alcoholism? Hmm? Do you think it would have been acceptable to start handing out AA leaflets at the wake?

Common Sense; Empathy; Compassion; Morality. We can sit around all day and discuss Heath Ledger's because we're detatched from it. Do you think it would have been the same if Heath was a beloved, contributing member of the community here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Just because someone took drugs does not mean they deserve to die.. They don't.. He was a member of the forum and should be automatically treated with respect, this thread should not even exist.

If it was your brother, he was led astray and unfortunately passed because he was taking something without realising it could kill him, would you have the same stance? I don't think so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Let it drop ffs and leave Niall to rest in peace.

I don't care whither it's censorship or not, this is logic1 we're talking about and a lot of us knew or met him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What WhiteWashMan said.

This has already been discussed and the issue closed.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I hate to break this to you, but we will all die. Not all of us will live though.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement