Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Animals In Ireland

Options
  • 02-08-2008 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Ok I just felt a need to make this post because alot of people still think that you can buy small animals and keep them in tiny cages with little or no attention. From hamsters to rabbits it's not ok. Keeping them in a cage, cleaning them, giving them food and water is not enough. They all need another secure space to run around and be 'natural'. If you are keeping one on their own they need lots of attention from you, their owner. Personally I don't think you should get a small animal if you can't commit at least 1-2 hours a day, giving it love and attention and some space to tear around. Even if they have a big cage, I still think they need to get out of it everyday because they are going to get bored.

Really, I don't think any small animal should be bought for any child under the age of ten, not even a hamster, unless the parents are going to take responsibilty when the novelty wears off and the child realises they aren't like dogs and won't come up licking your face. A young child should never get a small animal unless, when the child gets bored, the parents are going to feed it, clean it out, give it water, let it have 'outside cage' time everyday and attention. Alot of the time rabbits and guinea pigs end up forgotten, in a hutch in the back of the garden, thrown food every now and again, lonely and depressed and the hamster ends up living in a tiny cage, bored, same routine day in day out, usually dying after a year or two. Not saying every child is like this, but let's face it, alot are.

For example- Rabbits are often left in a cage indoors or forgotten in a hutch. They should have a large secure run, where they can tear around and be a rabbit, if indoors in a cage, they should be let run around indoors for a few hours a day, they can be litter trained! Males being neuteured makes that ten times easier too. Females should always be spayed. Why?, because they have 80% chance of getting cervical cancer, they should live for about 7-8 years, live span can range to ten years. Unspayed rabbits who die aged 5-6, which is not an old age for a rabbit. Usually died from cancer, suffering for ages in advance.

Ok I could go on and on and on, but I think everyone gets the picture, small animals can really be alot of fun and all have individual personalitys, i should know, I have had a hamster, two guineas and currently two rabbits as pets, and have petsitted lots of great smallies since I started this summer. Just have fun with them. Ok, this has turned into a rant! :rolleyes: Feel free to rant on!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 drifty

Animal Crazy - I could not agree more!!! So many people think they are the easy option well they are NOT. You need to commit alot of time and effort into their wellbeing. Well done on such a post. I have had about 6 guinea pigs at different times and completely agree with you.
    all the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

i agree 100%. i keep bearded dragons and although they arnt a hamster the same applies. they only grow to 16 / 24 inches yet they need a tank about 16 cubic feet ( 4 x 2 x 2). and the level of care needed to keep them clean and fed is suprising even down to the fact you need to feed the beardies food (roaches crickets or locusts) so they remain healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I have a budgie called donkey. His gate is always open, and this is as I believe it should be for anyone with a bird, they should be free to come and go and fly around the room/house as they please ( provided the windows are shut of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well said. I once built a huge rabbit run. I had to lift loads of grass turf then put down wire & then put the turf back. I then stitched the wall to the floor so that they could not dig out. Next came some drain pipes & finally a huge pile of soil.

The owner loved it & during the summer the bunny hutches were put in the enclosure. Their children could climb in & let the bunnies out with no fear of them escaping. Wonderful to watch bunnies covered in real dirt. We even managed to get some perspex pipe so they could be seen "underground".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Discodog wrote: »
    Well said. I once built a huge rabbit run. I had to lift loads of grass turf then put down wire & then put the turf back. I then stitched the wall to the floor so that they could not dig out. Next came some drain pipes & finally a huge pile of soil.

The owner loved it & during the summer the bunny hutches were put in the enclosure. Their children could climb in & let the bunnies out with no fear of them escaping. Wonderful to watch bunnies covered in real dirt. We even managed to get some perspex pipe so they could be seen "underground".

Ya might have a business in the making there, discodog.:D Premium rabbit hutches!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Great post! People seem to think because it's small it's easier to care for than a dog or cat when the complete opposite is true! People need to be educated properly and realise what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Not too good with wood !. But the run was cheap to make. I also helped a friend with a rat run using perspex tube around the skirting boards. Very funny when you have a visitor & don't tell them.

Advertisement