Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGA - 5x04 - The Daedalus Variations [SPOILERS]

• 02-08-2008 5:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Wow, good episode, i liked the new enemy ship looks good although is my memory playing tricks on me or does it look like a promellian battlecrusier (TNG i think the episode was "The Trap") Likes the kamakazie runs of the fighters the new enemy light have a interesting society.

Wow - again suprised by this episode i was just expecting to see the ships but nice we got to see the new race, althouh did look allot like an Orian... with green teeth.

Hardish to kill, just like jafa and Wraith and Micheals super wraith/hybrid - lets hope they stay consistant with this enemy and there stregenths andf weekneses

its obvious the aliens have some sort of transport technology and weapons powerfull enough to get through atlantis shields although that is subjective - there is no way to know if that atlantis had a ZPM powering the shield

was suprised he didnt ask humself who those aliens where

the chewie line was weird and unexpected but i did lol

all in all a very enjoyable episode.

What did you think? 28 votes

Amazing
    0%
    Good
    32%
    Mr EjhegartyixoyUser45701alastair_doomDingDongThorBajingotoken56 9 votes
    Ok
    60%
    SickBoyVolvagiaIvanBKtjeThe_BullmanPugsleyYavvybada_bingKiithSherifuJ-blkmawkMahatma coatOverhealConor108the_manchineNiska 17 votes
    Bad
    7%
    matrimSuaimhneach 2 votes
    Terrible
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,642 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ok
    dont expect threat consistency. alternate realities being what they are. the premise of the episode was good and it was enjoyable. though from the preview for next week's episode im more looking forward to that....
    Weir is back, and I dont think its Torri Higginson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Isnt this episode 4 not 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good
    Yep very good episode. Nice way to introduce a new enemy too - looks like a serious threat.

I love episodes like this - standalone, good story, good special effects, and not a forest or medieval village in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Good
    by any chane was that a simmlar shp deign to thhe replicator ship from 501 in a completly different galaxy. if it is there proplsion tech must be astounding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ok
    I enjoyed it, it started out slow enough but really picked up the pace. At first I thought it may be a Michael episode when I saw the jumper in the launch bay. I thought he had got control of replicator Weir's ship and was laying a trap for the team.

I'm a big fan of the alternate realities so I enjoyed them bouncing around from one danger to another. The alternate drive looked badass with the skull shielding. The fact that they were jumping at set intervals was very similar to sliders.

The best bit of the episode by far was the new alien race, super strong and formidable weapons. They withstood a few Asgard beam hits. :eek: At first I thought the symbol looked a bit on the G'ould side and was waiting for some symbiot action. It's true they do look a lot like the Orion syndicate. The F-302 action was great.

The chewie line was good, made me smile.
    Overheal wrote: »
    dont expect threat consistency. alternate realities being what they are.
    I was thinking te same though I do hope they carry these guys through to the show (having not read any future spoilers I don't know what will happen with them). I feel a new race is badly needed.
    robby^5 wrote: »
    Isnt this episode 4 not 3?
    Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭token56

Good
    Best episode of the season so far anyway, Rodney was class as always, new aliens look to be very though especially if one can man handle Ronan like that. Overall very good and I hope the rest of the season can match this episode.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Good
    Best episode of the season so far - there was a nice new take on alternate universes and a decent problem solving approach. McKay was on fine form although I think they missed an opportunity for him to go on about how he's so brilliant that he's even better than himself (i.e. the dead McKay).

Loved Sheppard's "Easy Chewwie" line - harkens back to the show's 'Star Wars' nods.

Did wonder why they were so surprised Atlantis wasn't in the first jump - uhh guys you moved the city to this planet only a year ago, it's surely feasible it wasn't moved in the alternate worlds!

I did like the new aliens - they seemed right tough bastards. Hopefully with no propensity for being vampires or dissembling into little nano-robots or something. My guess is that we'll see more of them when the Daedalus jumps back into their universe (or one similar) and they dismantle the drive and hop into our universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ok
    Doubt they need the special "hyper hop drive". I imagine they in the Atlantis universe already but just haven't made it as far as they had in the other universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ok
    B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Doubt they need the special "hyper hop drive". I imagine they in the Atlantis universe already but just haven't made it as far as they had in the other universe.
    Agreed. This is the most likely way it will happen if it happens. The dimensional ship was going away from the badass aliens alternate so they couldn't have got their hands on the ship and McKay said it was going to burn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Ok
    Definitely the best episode of the season so far - I'm never sure with alternate reality episodes, as some times what happens in the episode has no bearing on the overall season story arc, but the introduction of the new enemies was great and will definitely play a bigger part later on.

As others mentioned, they are probably already in the universe of "our" Atlantis team, they just haven't encountered them yet. It's about time a new threat was introduced and I look forward to seeing were the writers take it from here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Ok
    Thought that was the best episode so far this season! F-302 bit was great and the 'chewie' line.

Only one bit annoyed my inner-nerd:
    When they were trying to outrun the enemy fighters at sublight speed, once the engine power went, the whole ship just stopped like someone slammed on the breaks! That wouldn't happen! They're in space, they should have kept going at that speed because there was no friction to slow them down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ok
    Very solid episode, best of the season so far. Very sceptical of alternate reality episode's, they tend to be very predictable and nothing usually gets resolved, but this episode was consistently entertaining, with some great lines, and generally well paced with enough surprise's to keep your attention from start to finish.
    Conor108 wrote: »
    Only one bit annoyed my inner-nerd:
    When they were trying to outrun the enemy fighters at sub light speed, once the engine power went, the whole ship just stopped like someone slammed on the breaks! That wouldn't happen! They're in space, they should have kept going at that speed because there was no friction to slow them down!
    Well this isn't in anyway a spoiler, but to continue a trend: Babylon 5 not withstanding pretty much every scifi show all but ignores inertia, and ships tend to have a set top speed

Ok
    I'd have to watch that bit again but also factor in relativity: the ship engines die, the ship stops accelerating, while the fighters continue to accelerate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ok
    I'd have to watch that bit again but also factor in relativity: the ship engines die, the ship stops accelerating, while the fighters continue to accelerate.
    Thats what i was thinking as well.

I've always wondered though, with space travel, if you kept your thrusters/engines on, would you not continue to accelerate? If there is no friction/gravity to stop you, whats to stop a ship from constantly accelerating until...you are going really really (light speed?) fast?

To the science forum!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ok
    If there is no friction/gravity to stop you, whats to stop a ship from constantly accelerating until...you are going really really (light speed?) fast?
    Isn't that what happened to the Atlantian ship that was halfway to the milkyway without hypder drive? That said i could be mixing things up, only saw it once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Ok
    Kiith wrote: »
    Thats what i was thinking as well.

I've always wondered though, with space travel, if you kept your thrusters/engines on, would you not continue to accelerate? If there is no friction/gravity to stop you, whats to stop a ship from constantly accelerating until...you are going really really (light speed?) fast?

To the science forum!! :pac:
    What happens is the energy required to continue to accelerate becomes ultimately massive, until it approaches infinity. The energy required to continue to accelerate increases exponentially.

But if you set your speed to say, 5,000km/h in space. You will continue to accelerate until the energy you output approaches this speed. Once you hit 5,000km/h you do not continue to accelerate, it requires the energy to accelerate, but not maintain your speed in space. This lack of inertia and wind resistance in space, is what allows spacecraft to keep their momentum and thus, move indefinitely.

Due to inertia and wind resistance on earth, some of the energy used to accelerate, is lost. And the momentum is eventually overcome by the energy lost to inertia and/or wind resistance.

So really, what they did was quite right. McKay even talks about how they kept their relative position and momentum, relative to the previous alternate reality. Which is perfect also ;) No real scientific gaffs there. Plot was pretty solid, but I dislike the cheesy "all-powerful" race. Why not have a race with some flaws? Goauld were overly arrogant, replicators were vulnerable to projectile weapons. Wraiths are essentially flawless and thus, just seem like a caricature of other Stargate villains.

The best stargate villains, are those that have overcome their innate flaws and thus seem more threatening and more interesting. Wraith are just boring. They started too strong and therefore had to be weakened, and thus became even more ridiculous.

All in all, a very strong episode, in what is, for me at least, quickly becoming a very forgettable series.

Ok
    Ivan wrote: »
    What happens is the energy required to continue to accelerate becomes ultimately massive, until it approaches infinity. The energy required to continue to accelerate increases exponentially.

But if you set your speed to say, 5,000km/h in space. You will continue to accelerate until the energy you output approaches this speed. Once you hit 5,000km/h you do not continue to accelerate, it requires the energy to accelerate, but not maintain your speed in space. This lack of inertia and wind resistance in space, is what allows spacecraft to keep their momentum and thus, move indefinitely.

Due to inertia and wind resistance on earth, some of the energy used to accelerate, is lost. And the momentum is eventually overcome by the energy lost to inertia and/or wind resistance.

So really, what they did was quite right. McKay even talks about how they kept their relative position and momentum, relative to the previous alternate reality. Which is perfect also ;) No real scientific gaffs there. Plot was pretty solid, but I dislike the cheesy "all-powerful" race. Why not have a race with some flaws? Goauld were overly arrogant, replicators were vulnerable to projectile weapons. Wraiths are essentially flawless and thus, just seem like a caricature of other Stargate villains.

The best stargate villains, are those that have overcome their innate flaws and thus seem more threatening and more interesting. Wraith are just boring. They started too strong and therefore had to be weakened, and thus became even more ridiculous.

All in all, a very strong episode, in what is, for me at least, quickly becoming a very forgettable series.
    tl;dr

Velocity and Acceleration are not one in the same. Acceleration is the increase in Velocity. Without Acceleration (or deceleration due to gravity or friction) the Velocity will remain constant. The Fighters would continue to have Acceleration and so would keep increasing velocity, and would catch up with the Daedalus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Ok
    LOL

If you bothered to read it...

*sigh*

[Edit] Although I did make some mistakes, I misuse the term inertia in places, instead of gravity, as you so delicately pointed out and some other terms. But I think I get the point across :p

I'm going to claim it was because it was late ;) But I think you get the jist of what I was trying to say. Ultimately though, the post was about the episode and not physics :p
    [/Edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Good
    dont expect threat consistency. alternate realities being what they are. the premise of the episode was good and it was enjoyable. though from the preview for next week's episode im more looking forward to that....
    Weir is back, and I dont think its Torri Higginson

I think we'll see those aliens again why else would they focus so much on the symbol on the ship(did sheppard say he recognised it I cant remember)but I thought it was a great episode even if we dont see them again.

Advertisement