Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siamese Fighting Fish

Options
  • 02-08-2008 5:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just got myself a Siamese Fighting Fish today and was just wondering if anybody might have some tips on how to look after them relative to other fish. I don't know a massive amount about them (I do know that the only one male can be in a tank though!) so was hoping somebody might be able to help me on a few things.

With them being isolated do they get lonely or are they content that way? I have a pretty decent sized bowl for him and the girl in the pet shop suggested that if he does get a bit down I can put a mirror in front of the bowl for a little while.

Also, I read that they do better in slightly warm water. Would it be ok to keep them near a lamp for a bit of extra heat? It's winter here at the mo and the apartment gets pretty cold at night time.

If anyone has any tips it's be great,

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Goodday! :-)

Fighter fish are nice fish ...
    They have pretty flowing fins and are better sharing a tank with other fish that aren't fin nippers.
    These fish's breathing apparatus is slightly differerent from most fish, i.e. they extract their oxygen from the air above the surface as well.
    This means that if the air is cold, they are likely to suffer and get sick.
    They do prefer a temperature of 25/26 degrees and important sudden swings in the water temperature are to be avoided. I don't know, with your climate being so different to here, whether they need a heater or not...
    You mention you have him in a decent size bowl. A betta (siamese fighter) needs a minimum of 5 gallons to be at ease.
    Do you have any filtration in this bowl ? This would provide it with a better quality water and, again, contribute to his well being.
    Make sure you keep up with water changes in order to eliminate the waste that could be toxic for him.
    Good quality, high protein food is supposed to be good for them.
    Good luck with this beautiful fish ! :-)
    Valerie

Advertisement