Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterproof Jacket

• 02-08-2008 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all.

Can anyone reccomend a waterproof jacket with armour. My present Richa leaks like a sieve,

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Richa are usually pretty good. Is it old?

Whichever jacket you get, make sure it has a permanent waterproof liner, not a removable one.

Other than that, if you go for something high spec like Rukka they are excellent, but very pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Hein Gericke do some great waterproof two piece suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Groucho10

Thanks for the advice Oryx and KTRIC. The Richa is about five years old now but in a heavy downpour it always let in. I tried a wax spray on it which helped a bit but never solved the problem.

What price range are the Rukka and Hein Gericke in and where are they available?

Thanks again

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Groucho10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Oryx and KTRIC. The Richa is about five years old now but in a heavy downpour it always let in. I tried a wax spray on it which helped a bit but never solved the problem.

What price range are the Rukka and Hein Gericke in and where are they available?

Thanks again
    Well, 5 years is about the life of a jacket anyhow. On the whole Richa are a good range for reasonable money. If you get a jacket in future and it leaks, they are guaranteed.

Dont know about Hein Gericke, but Rukka range from £399 to £1099 for a jacket. Thats sterling by the way. Told you, not cheap. We can get it in our place, but needless to say, we dont stock it as demand would be a bit low..:D

Thanks for that. Time to get out the piggy bank and the hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What ever you get don’t attempt to wash it without reading the instructions :eek: I hot washed a filthy Acito jacket and it became like a sieve. I now use a Gortex based jacket, breathable and 100% waterproof.

If you want quality go for Dainese jackets, you will need more than your piggybank :D

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,454 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can't beat Weise jackets in my experience. Got one cheap in Cotters a few years ago and still use practically daily (if there is no chance of rain I'll wear my leather jacket, but that's not often!)

Scrap the cap!

Thanks for the info. How cheap was it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rexelac

Try the nikwax wash in, it should help keep your jacket waterproof

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

did you get a new jacket? I have a new spada textile jacket at home that i wore 3 times that i no longer need. Its XL and hasn't a mark on it. Fully waterproof.

Not looking for the world for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

Try Hein Gericke in Newry. I had a Richa cordura jacket for just under three years before it started to let in, then no amount of dubbing etc could stop it letting in. I bought a Gortex jacket in Hein Gericke in November 2006 and use it almost every day since. it cost me 300 Stg. It's the dog's dangly bits.

Fazer6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Hein Gericke in newry is the place to go. I got a jacket there about 3-4 years ago, use it every day and it's still perfect and never leaked. It's as good quality as a Dainese and fully gortex. Think it cost me £250, but at the time they had a deal if you spend over 250 you get 50 free, so i got a seriously nice pair of Alpine Star summer gloves thrown in free! Go for a spin up there, motorway all the way now, so it's handy, and test your new gear on the way back

charlieIRL wrote: »
    did you get a new jacket? I have a new spada textile jacket at home that i wore 3 times that i no longer need. Its XL and hasn't a mark on it. Fully waterproof.

Not looking for the world for it either.

Might be interested in that Charlie. How do I contact you directly?

Rexelac wrote: »
    Try the nikwax wash in, it should help keep your jacket waterproof

I got that thanks. Just waiting for the next downpour to see if it works.

Quint wrote: »
    Hein Gericke in newry is the place to go. I got a jacket there about 3-4 years ago, use it every day and it's still perfect and never leaked. It's as good quality as a Dainese and fully gortex. Think it cost me £250, but at the time they had a deal if you spend over 250 you get 50 free, so i got a seriously nice pair of Alpine Star summer gloves thrown in free! Go for a spin up there, motorway all the way now, so it's handy, and test your new gear on the way back

Thanks for the info Quint and Fazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,454 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks for the info. How cheap was it ?

The Weise jacket was about 150 IIRC, some places were doing them for nearly twice that at the time. That didn't include any back armour though (so I filled the pocket with a Knox one I had from my cheapo leaky Rayven jacket.)

Scrap the cap!

Might be interested in that Charlie. How do I contact you directly?

can you pm?

I'll take a pic of it later for you and post it here. Am in athlone (work in Tullamore) and can meet ya somewhere that suits.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    can you pm?

I'll take a pic of it later for you and post it here. Am in athlone (work in Tullamore) and can meet ya somewhere that suits.

Sorry about this charlie,but I got a waterproof overjacket instead.Thanks anyway.

Sorry about this charlie,but I got a waterproof overjacket instead.Thanks anyway.

no prob, will stick it (and a few more i have) on donedeal or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement