Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential areas in Limerick City

Options
  • 02-08-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My husband and I have been looking for 3-bed semis for a while now and can't decide on the location as we get different opinions from basically everybody. There seem to be a lot of nice houses for fairly good prices in Corbally, especially the Westbury part. Is there anybody, who lives there, who could tell us a bit about the area (traffic, renting/occupying ratio, flooding, public transport,...)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It depends on requirements. kids/schools/work location etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

if you live in westbury you'd technically be living in county clare, corbally is in general a nightmere for traffic!

As is the entire city from September to May:D

Ah city centre walking distance....I love it!

There's a 3 bed semi for sale on my road for €300k. It's in need of complete redecoration and probably a kitchen extension though. Walking distance from city centre (10-15 mins).
    Park at the end of the road. Speed ramps and nosy neighbours (a good thing if you spend time away a lot) and not too many small kids. All occupiers are owners bar 3 houses (the landlord lives nextdoor to one though), and the auctioneers have been told that the house will be taken off the market if the vendor gets a whiff of the city or county councils looking at it.

Basically, you don't end up with a house fallen into disrepair because the occupier doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Saise

ninety9er: You never mentioned what area u live in.

So anyway, we've been to Westbury since, looks like a nice, settled area, some estates more rental than others, but except for the possible traffic (we were there on Saturday, round noon - no traffic) I see no problems. Like, you know the usual things, it doesn't seem to be a rough area, the roads and greens are well maintained...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Grew up in Corbally (on the Clare side but not Westbury) and lived there untill a few years ago. The traffic is a nightmare in the mornings during the school term. If you have to be in work at 9 anywhere around the city you would want to be leaving before 7.50.

Westbury is ok but like most places there is a significant bad element around. A lot of unfriendly teenagers out that way as well. I wouldn't ever live there but maybe its because I lived close to their for so long. There are WAY too many houses out that side now and a lack of amenities like a decent shopping center (Tesco Express does not count).

Saise wrote: »
    ninety9er: You never mentioned what area u live in.

So anyway, we've been to Westbury since, looks like a nice, settled area, some estates more rental than others, but except for the possible traffic (we were there on Saturday, round noon - no traffic) I see no problems. Like, you know the usual things, it doesn't seem to be a rough area, the roads and greens are well maintained...

http://www.sherryfitzgerald.ie/resi/buy/propertydetail.aspx?id=264711&ST=1&pc=1

That's the house I was talking about. Area is just off Ennis Road

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't rule out buying a new house either. In the current housing market slump there are some great bargins to be had as builders are under presure to shift unsold new houses in estates started before the current credit crunch kicked in.

Its a buyers market.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Its a buyers market.

It sure is. a smaller more dilapitated example than the one above only 3 doors from it went for €340k 18 months ago:eek::eek: The vendor is in no hurry to sell though.

guys if you want my honest openion i wouldnt go for someplace on the border with clare..ie westbury shannon banks meelick etc, as it is only just in clare the clare county council dont care about the area as the ppl travel to limerick to do everything (shop, work, school, college etc) so in their minds its limerick to cater for amnities etc..as you will see if your out the places named above the roads are shockingly bad and amnities are redeculous..a result is more ppl using the roads into limerick making more traffic! best bet is to go to a suburb like raheen or castletroy..averything you need in raheen (cresent shopping centre) and nice green areas..castletroy where in the middle of building a park and you have class ficilities (university,castletroy shopping centre and soon to be parkway valley shopping centre), i was up around the newtown area of castletroy lately and the place looked fantastic..totally new place with the cinema only around the corner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    i was up around the newtown area of castletroy lately and the place looked fantastic..totally new place with the cinema only around the corner!
    bought a gorgeous 4bed in this area a few months back for 300k, 5 year old house, fantastic estate, great residents committee, fast access to all sides of the city thanks to the bypass, and great shopping nearby.

ya its a very impressive place alright, according to wikipedia castletroy has a population of around 32 thousand, there is'nt one dodgy place in the area and i passed the new park being built out there..very nice, perfect example of how to make a safe and perfect suburb i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 samhain's son

There was a thread on the location part of askaboutmoney.com about Westbury that wasn't too flattering at all. Personally I think it is too far out of town and far too big and I don't like that Tesco Express at all, I like a human to be behind the counter not a machine which is what I found the day I went into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you're looking to live in corbally perhaps try closer to town on the limerick side, most of the estates were built in the 60s/70s, the houses were well built (you won't hear your neighbours) with decent space in them and many of them are older estates now with not too many children/teenagers hanging around. Park Gardens/Rosendale/Roseville at the traffic lights is where i grew up and it's pretty quiet. Or a bit closer to town College Park/Richmond Park/Janemount Park are pretty much the same, while traffic is bumper to bumper on the Corbally Road in the morning, it is only a 20 minute walk from the traffic lights at Driscoll's to the city centre and Supervalu means you don't have to go into town to shop for food.

As was said, Westbury is in Co. Clare and comes under Clare Co. Council. Also there are about 1000 houses in there with little or no amenities, it's just a bit too big for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

heard recently that Westbury is being/going to be used for rehousing during the regeneration

There are some nice new houses in rosmore on the old cork road beside the amber going for €212.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Lived in raheen all my life, and it is mostly a pleasant place to live, but some rough families have been getting free houses recently in and around raheen/dooradoyle.

Traffic really isnt a problem as there are many routes into the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Does anyone know where Marians square is?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

TheLoc wrote: »
    Does anyone know where Marians square is?

Janesborough. Head to Janesborough church and turn right by the statue which is Marian Avenue and at the bottom to the right is Marian Place. Marrion square is the bottom of the hill and all houses facing you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Cheers Berty, Do you know if this is a nice area? There are new fully furnished houses up for rent there and they look very nice from the pictures i've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

TheLoc wrote: »
    Cheers Berty, Do you know if this is a nice area? There are new fully furnished houses up for rent there and they look very nice from the pictures i've seen.

Yes, I like the area. Close to the city and with a bus service for those who want it.

Both of my grandparents live there and the houses are mahoosive considering they are council and former council houses. They are built when houses were built of stronger stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Does anybody in the know forsee any bargains to be had in Raheen/ Dooradoyle following the job losses in Dell. Wouldn't be one to take advantage of other peoples misfortunes but hey it may as well be me as somebody else.

Probably will hold off in buying for the moment as no doubt there are good deals to be had out there compared to 2006 but think we will see prices drop further (I certainly wouldn't anticipate any rises anyways in the near future).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Does anybody in the know forsee any bargains to be had in Raheen/ Dooradoyle following the job losses in Dell. Wouldn't be one to take advantage of other peoples misfortunes but hey it may as well be me as somebody else.

Probably will hold off in buying for the moment as no doubt there are good deals to be had out there compared to 2006 but think we will see prices drop further (I certainly wouldn't anticipate any rises anyways in the near future).

I reckon that it won't affect Raheen/Dooradoyle much more than any other area. People that work from Dell come from a vast variety of places in the country and city, not just Raheen/Dooradoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

there should be a good level of rentals falling through out there soon IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Rentals and house prices should fall a bit more but should stabalise within the year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

If you want to live somewhere with good schools, no scumbags, nice retuarants etc buy a house in Annacotty, really nice area, could`nt recommend the place more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I reckon that it won't affect Raheen/Dooradoyle much more than any other area. People that work from Dell come from a vast variety of places in the country and city, not just Raheen/Dooradoyle.

No doubt what you are saying is correct Luna Hallowed Troop but I would think it is worth considering that a higher proportion of the buy to rent properties in Raheen/ Dooradoyle would be taken by people working in Dell than in other parts of city. Not everybody has cars and some need to live close to work also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

mods - would it be possible to create a sticky on residential areas - a bit like the restaurants one, but have different posts for each area, where people can contribute info about the area they live in?

Advertisement