Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GM cybers with a player !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

An absolute disgrace to be honest.

Some of the worst customer support I have ever seen.

I'm trying to figure out how it could be faked, but I think that it's actually real, unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

WellyJ wrote: »
    An absolute disgrace to be honest.

Some of the worst customer support I have ever seen.

I'm trying to figure out how it could be faked, but I think that it's actually real, unbelievable.

Yeah, the 20 something year old wasters that end up in that job are real professionals. Im shocked to think that this could happen. Shocked!!

Yeah, the 20 something year old wasters that end up in that job are real professionals. Im shocked to think that this could happen. Shocked!!

You. Your high horse. Get the **** off it. Everyone has to make a living, and i have dealt with a lot of very knowledgeable GMs in different MMORPGs.

You need to change that arrogant outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Whats worse is the fan boy mods recruited by funcom deleted this post i think some other guy put it up a few times. They dont vet there gm's its obious from this which opens it pedo's and all sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

That's kind of funny.

WellyJ wrote: »
    You. Your high horse. Get the **** off it. Everyone has to make a living, and i have dealt with a lot of very knowledgeable GMs in different MMORPGs.

You need to change that arrogant outlook.

Reality dose, you don't need to be a dumbass to be a waster. The reason why you have dealt with a load of "knowledgeable" GM's is either one of these two options.

They are too lazy to get a good job.

You have a scewed idea of how much brain and will power it takes to become knowledgeable in a MMO.

I stand by my wasters comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Reality dose, you don't need to be a dumbass to be a waster. The reason why you have dealt with a load of "knowledgeable" GM's is either one of these two options.

They are too lazy to get a good job.

You have a scewed idea of how much brain and will power it takes to become knowledgeable in a MMO.

I stand by my wasters comment.

Whats a 'good' job? Some ppl would say that doing something you love like playing computer games is 'good' job.

So what if he does this for a couple of years? It's not like he is making a career out of it. Maybe he is on a gap year and it probably pays better than McDonalds.

Want to tell us what you 'good' job is .. and why it is so superior?

Playboy wrote: »
    Whats a 'good' job? Some ppl would say that doing something you love like playing computer games is 'good' job.

You don't play games as a GM. The job role is very unlike what people think it is. Think helpdesk role but worse.
    So what if he does this for a couple of years? It's not like he is making a career out of it. Maybe he is on a gap year and it probably pays better than McDonalds.

Good point, what does it matter if somebody wastes their life. As long as its not me I'm happy.
    Want to tell us what your 'good' job is .. and why it is so superior?

Ever hear of attack the post not the poster?
    My current job is as a second level support technician. I get paid well, expense everything and get a large bonus every year. And a monkey can do this job. If it wasn't for the unlimited training budget I would be gone by now. I get 2 exams per month, on self taught subjects and one course verey two months. I walked into this job off a construction site where I was in charge of 6 fellas doing snagging work in the largest construction company in the world.

My point is that you have a crap full time job like GM, with no advancement options it is invariably filled with lazy w*nkers who are looking for a "easy" job where they don't have to do any work. If they were really looking for a job in the games industry they would pick up 3d Modelling and Coding and get a proper job in any of the small development companies. And that type of w*nker will end up doing something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

You don't play games as a GM. The job role is very unlike what people think it is. Think helpdesk role but worse.

Good point, what does it matter if somebody wastes their life. As long as its not me I'm happy.

Ever hear of attack the post not the poster?
    My current job is as a second level support technician. I get paid well, expense everything and get a large bonus every year. And a monkey can do this job. If it wasn't for the unlimited training budget I would be gone by now. I get 2 exams per month, on self taught subjects and one course verey two months. I walked into this job off a construction site where I was in charge of 6 fellas doing snagging work in the largest construction company in the world.

My point is that you have a crap full time job like GM, with no advancement options it is invariably filled with lazy w*nkers who are looking for a "easy" job where they don't have to do any work. If they were really looking for a job in the games industry they would pick up 3d Modelling and Coding and get a proper job in any of the small development companies. And that type of w*nker will end up doing something like this.
    Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

That depends on what type of GM you are. For WoW in example most of the outsourced GM's are on an msn type interface but there are GM's in the US (possibly elsewhere too) who live "in" the virtual world and an move around in it. Of course this may have changed by now.

Also the GM in the screenshots (if they weren't faked) is very obviously within the game.

Ivan wrote: »
    Fail.

Touché. Clearly your one word is such a stellar argument that I should just give up and go home. Either that or you are just lazy.

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    That depends on what type of GM you are. For WoW in example most of the outsourced GM's are on an msn type interface but there are GM's in the US (possibly elsewhere too) who live "in" the virtual world and an move around in it. Of course this may have changed by now.

Also the GM in the screenshots (if they weren't faked) is very obviously within the game.

Ha, yeah its a great interactive role. You can't do anything but go to where somebody is and start chatting to them via chat screen. Sure you get to see a great 3D environment but it means nothing. They still spend all their time typing, listening to whiney assholes and trying to do up comprehensive bug reports to be ignored by the developers.

They still spend all their time typing, listening to whiney assholes and trying to do up comprehensive bug reports to be ignored by the developers.
    Sounds like a typical support job to me :)

Touché. Clearly your one word is such a stellar argument that I should just give up and go home. Either that or you are just lazy.
    This coming from the guy who sees fit to look down on people, who's jobs nor motivation you know nothing about, from a job that is so similar to those that you describe as lazy wánkers, leaving you in a position that is altogether laughable.

This and more, can be summed up by the quoting of your post and the word "Fail."
    I guess you were just too lazy to read into the layers of subtext ;)

Ooh... see what I did there? Making baseless assumptions is fun!

This coming from the guy who sees fit to look down on people, who's jobs nor motivation you know nothing about, from a job that is so similar to those that you describe as lazy wánkers, leaving you in a position that is altogether laughable.

As I said in my previous post, I stay in my current job due to the advantages of training. They currently have me training my replacement, as I have achieved a MCSE in 4 months through self study and will have a CCIA and VCDX qualification before Christmas. My job is a stepping stone, it holds many available career paths and gives needed experience towards all of them. Something a GM does not and will not have. Playing games for a job looks great on a CV.

I stand by my statement that I'm not surprised a GM would do this as they are mainly wasters in a dead end job. Their too lazy to care.

Then you sir, are just as fail as your post ;)

You defend your own position by stating that you are using it as a stepping stone, but deny anybody else in a similar position the possibility that it is the same to them. I can tell you now, my time as a GM has served me well as a stepping stone also and hopefully will continue to do so.

The fact I believe everyone else is trying to get across, and that you seem to be so conveniently missing, is that there are wasters in every job. Be it a dead end one or not Just because someone is in a dead end job, of which being a GM is DEFINITELY not one of them, does not make someone a waster. And your crass judgements simply infuriate and well, simply make me put my hand to my forehead and sigh.

Thats really all I have to say on the matter, enjoy the MCSE, the CCIA and the VCDX. Hopefully, someday, you might have the oppurtunity to acquire a CLUE.

Another post with plenty of text and no backbone.

How did working as a GM serve you well? How was it a stepping stone to anything? What opportunities did it serve up that could not have been found elsewhere for more money and more social reward on a quicker timeframe?

All jobs have wasters, I'm aware of that as is everybody else. I work with enough of them. But being a GM does not have the normal amount of wasters, they are attracted to it like a fly to sh*t. They have the idea that it is the ideal job, they want to play games all day and do nothing. I know its not like that at all, which is probably why most of them are sullen dicks as well.

I also have a valid argument. Its why I don't have to resort to needless facepalms, "fails" and implications that other people don't have a clue. All I'm waiting for at this stage is to be told I need to get a life and you will have met all my expectations of a man with his back to the wall and nowhere to go.

Another post with plenty of text and no backbone.

How did working as a GM serve you well? How was it a stepping stone to anything? What opportunities did it serve up that could not have been found elsewhere for more money and more social reward on a quicker timeframe?

All jobs have wasters, I'm aware of that as is everybody else. I work with enough of them. But being a GM does not have the normal amount of wasters, they are attracted to it like a fly to sh*t. They have the idea that it is the ideal job, they want to play games all day and do nothing. I know its not like that at all, which is probably why most of them are sullen dicks as well.

I also have a valid argument. Its why I don't have to resort to needless facepalms, "fails" and implications that other people don't have a clue. All I'm waiting for at this stage is to be told I need to get a life and you will have met all my expectations of a man with his back to the wall and nowhere to go.
    You want to talk about posts with plenty of text and no backbone. You havent once explained your irrational views on GMs. What, did your mommy run away with one when you were younger or something?

If you can explain to me in such a way as to make a reasonable argument, why you have this obsession that GM = waster, I might stop implying that your argument makes no sense and is totally baseless.

Me - having been a GM for more than one MMO and having been a webdesigner, a cyber-café manager, a computer technician and a hardware support "guru" I can see all sides of this debate. You on the other hand have mentioned no experience of what being a GM is like, seemingly never met nor spoken to one and are in what is the closest possible job to being a GM.

It seems to me as though your entire argument is one giant fallacy that is built on the notion that, other than your unlimited training budget, your job isnt as great as you lead yourself to believe.

And you are right, I am guilty of attacking the poster rather than the content; much more than is fair and for that, I do apologise. But the fault is not just mine, when you start producing some content to discuss; I'll address it.

Finally, regarding how my job as a GM was a stepping stone; regretfully I am still under an NDA for my previous job until October and under one in my current one, until such time as I leave and one year after, as is customary in this line of business. Needless to say, the job I am in at the moment offers a better salary and better oppurtunities; all from the experience I acrued in my previous, dead end job.

But honestly, this trollsome conversation being entertaining and all, you still have yet to score any points with me in terms of your argument being valid. Make an argument, that is at least somewhat based on reality; some facts, figures, experiences or even anecdotes, and I may respond again. Otherwise...

You want to talk about posts with plenty of text and no backbone. You havent once explained your irrational views on GMs. What, did your mommy run away with one when you were younger or something?

Your right,I have not fully explained my reasons for believing GM's are wasters. I worked across the road from a well known employer in CityWest. Every member of staff that I met were the same generic breed of smart but lazy geek. Lack of motivation and direction oozed from their conversations and actions.

When attending Games Design in Ballyfermot I was not impressed by the members of the class I met that had come from that job. They were inherently incapable of doing the work necessary to achieve anything in there lives.

Within game, WOW and AOC, I have yet to meet a GM with any level of empahy, common sense or technical knowledge. I am choosing to ignore the last line.
    If you can explain to me in such a way as to make a reasonable argument, why you have this obsession that GM = waster, I might stop implying that your argument makes no sense and is totally baseless.

I asserted my opinion that GMs are wasters by pointing out that the wideheld belief that its merely a job that lets you play games for a living. This by definition attracts people who don't want to work. It doesn't take much effort to make that connection.

Most people coming from a more technical background would have already acquired a degree and would be using their coding skills in a better job. Artists and 3d modellers would be better at trying their hand at more commercial exercises while working on popular mods in the meantime. The job would show willingness to work and pay better, give the normal living skills needed to work in a office environment and the mod work would show a dedication to the games industry, an ability to work both independently and in a team for a common goal and motivation to do something that you clearly enjoy.

If you wanted more common experience in the overall game design and deployment, a critical eye would really be all that is needed.

All these roads would be taken by somebody who was focused and driven toward a goal. Eg, the exact oppisite of a waster
    Me - having been a GM for more than one MMO and having been a webdesigner, a cyber-café manager, a computer technician and a hardware support "guru" I can see all sides of this debate. You on the other hand have mentioned no experience of what being a GM is like, seemingly never met nor spoken to one and are in what is the closest possible job to being a GM.

I'm starting to wonder that rather then disagreeing with me simply because you believe my argument is groundless and without merit or you are really arguing with me since you worked in the role and others like it and take offense to being labeled as a waster. I made a statement over a blanket wide group, there are always exceptions to the rule. I also don't see how working in the above jobs would allow you to see all sides of the debate? If anything you are biased towards a particular opinion.
    It seems to me as though your entire argument is one giant fallacy that is built on the notion that, other than your unlimited training budget, your job isnt as great as you lead yourself to believe.

My job role is Second Level support. What I personally do I have explained in little detail. I believe trained monkeys could do part of it, currently my team mates take those dutys. But I am aware my job is not great, its better then GM but not great.
    And you are right, I am guilty of attacking the poster rather than the content; much more than is fair and for that, I do apologise. But the fault is not just mine, when you start producing some content to discuss; I'll address it.
    Finally, regarding how my job as a GM was a stepping stone; regretfully I am still under an NDA for my previous job until October and under one in my current one, until such time as I leave and one year after, as is customary in this line of business. Needless to say, the job I am in at the moment offers a better salary and better oppurtunities; all from the experience I acrued in my previous, dead end job.

The Nda covers job role, examples of skills learned and how they would relate to future job? Either way I'm glad you acknowledge your previous dead end job.

But honestly, this trollsome conversation being entertaining and all, you still have yet to score any points with me in terms of your argument being valid. Make an argument, that is at least somewhat based on reality; some facts, figures, experiences or even anecdotes, and I may respond again. Otherwise...

I would have taught your previous posts would be more deliberately trollish then me defending my initial argument, since they contained vague insults and one liner ignorant remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Nothing beats seeing two people making themselves look like absolute f*ckwits on the internet. Would there be any chance of you to leaving it be? You're embarrassing yourselves.

humanji wrote: »
    You're embarrassing yourselves.

How? These are discussion boards, we are discussing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I thought AOC was over 18's.

bubonicus wrote: »
    I thought AOC was over 18's.

If you pay in to see an 18s movie and the usher gets naked and starts touching you, is it ok cos its over 18s?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

How? These are discussion boards, we are discussing something.

stop going off topic how about that and take your head out from your own arse you tit !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

Oh, it's not a proper job? I see. Hmm...

Lone Stone wrote: »
    stop going off topic how about that and take your head out from your own arse you tit !

Stop backseat modding.

Perhaps I should step in here just for a minute.

I'm not a fan of heavily moderated forums, compared to some other forums you'll get a lot of room to roam here.

For example I've no issue with threads going off-topic (although repeat offenders on a mission should be wary), back-seat mod's are just people offering an opinion in my view and argumentative posts (like this one) are permissible once they don't step over the line into outright abuse.

You've a lot of rope here, just be sure you don't hang yourselves with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i have a decent enough job for one of the largest companies in Ireland (that is Irish too!) and i was thinking of going for a job for a big mmo company because i was interested to see what it would be like, but after hearing other peoples opinions on boards that had worked there i decided against it.

it would have been a drop in pay from my current job but i was still interested in the gm position.

does that make me a waster because i had an interest in it? :confused:

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    does that make me a waster because i had an interest in it? :confused:

Depends, why were you attracted to the job honestly?

On a side note, what turned you off the role apart from the pay drop. I have given up quite a lot of money to leave my last job for this one as I felt it was worth it.

Advertisement