Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GM cybers with a player !!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im a casual mmo player and was interested to see the other side of such a company. i studied computer science in college but kind of moved away from the programming side of things when i got my degree because i lost interest.

a friend that worked in my current job left to work for this mmo company and said the job was great, that they got to test games all the time. so if u had an interest in playing games from a testing point of view then it could be somebodies ideal job and i cant see how that makes you a waster.

this is a new mmo that they were testing for months before release, but will be doing a gm role once game is ready to be released (if it hasnt been already ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well game testing and being a GM for an MMO are very different. I've dabbled with both and the testing can be great at the start where you get to see all these new ideas before anyone else, but can get incredibly repetitive after a while. You're out looking for bugs, not trying to play the game, so you end up replaying parts over and over and over and over, and eventually you lose the will to live.

Being a GM is basically getting aggro from people who did something wrong and expect you to sort out their game and their personal issues, and occasionally you get someone who has a genuine problem. With the release of a game you don't really get to play around in the game at all, since there'll be so many bugs to sort out. When and if a game gets to the WOW stage, the GM's have a lot more time to feck about, but the chances of an MMO getting to that stage these days is slim. Those that do, never need a large amount of GM's.

So if you want a career in the games industry, the first one will help. But the second one will in most cases lead no where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i imagine a gm gets an awful amount of drama from 12 yr olds aswell!

"i wolled on an itim i weeded and di drood wolled too and he dindt weed at all and he won the woll"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I can only imagine it helps to drink a lot. But that would probably lead to trying to cyber with a player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Ever hear of attack the post not the poster?
    My current job is as a second level support technician. I get paid well, expense everything and get a large bonus every year. And a monkey can do this job. If it wasn't for the unlimited training budget I would be gone by now. I get 2 exams per month, on self taught subjects and one course verey two months. I walked into this job off a construction site where I was in charge of 6 fellas doing snagging work in the largest construction company in the world.

My point is that you have a crap full time job like GM, with no advancement options it is invariably filled with lazy w*nkers who are looking for a "easy" job where they don't have to do any work. If they were really looking for a job in the games industry they would pick up 3d Modelling and Coding and get a proper job in any of the small development companies. And that type of w*nker will end up doing something like this.

My point when asking what your 'good' job is and to explain to me why it is 'good' was so I could understand how you define what is and isnt 'good' and what defines a 'waster' in your opinion. I was not attacking you and I dont know how you could contrue what I said as an attack. If you are prepared to attack someone for what they do then you should expect to be challenged on what it is exactly you do.

From what you ahve posted all I can understand is that you have some capitalistic understanding of what good and bad is in terms of employment. I would understand a good job to be one that a person enjoys and is fulfilled at. I mean we all could be working in jobs making more money if we really wanted to .. I know i could ... but I dont because the jobs would bore me and make me extremely unhappy. I dont think it is fair to judge a person because of what they do .. For instance do you think everyone who works in McDonalds or is a Janitor is waster too? Well all I can say is thank god for wasters because al lot of jobs would not get done if we didnt have them. You ahve no idea who he is or why he is in the job os calling him a waster is more than a tad unfair I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

If you want to be a GM or something similar, don't base your decision on other peoples opinions. Make up your own mind. If you think it's a wasters job and couldn't live with yourself.....celebrate, it was your decision at least.

Advertisement