Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CRANE ARM OVER ROAD

• 02-08-2008 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

What are the regulations governing the use of cranes in the Republic?

For the past month the arm of a building site crane has been regularly left hanging across the main road through my village (and is still hanging this weekend).

In Britain, you must obtain a licence from the local authority before placing a crane overhanging the highway - are there no similar rules here? I asked the HSA but they were as useful as tits on a bull - to use an old country expression.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cant give an answer I'm afraid and I'm not even sure if this is the correct forum for this query.

I will let it sit till Mellor and smashey have had a look.

I'd have thought that anywhere under the "shadow" of a crane would be considered part of the site and a hard hat area!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

I'd have thought that anywhere under the "shadow" of a crane would be considered part of the site and a hard hat area!

I was thinking about this db and I would doubt it... take a drive around central dublin... there are many examples where the crane arm extends out past the site perimeter.

What is the OP's issue with this anyway ? Do you think that its going to fall down or something ?!

B.

bauderline wrote: »
    I was thinking about this db and I would doubt it... take a drive around central dublin... there are many examples where the crane arm extends out past the site perimeter.

What is the OP's issue with this anyway ? Do you think that its going to fall down or something ?!

B.

I suppose it depends whether it's the jib or the counterweight that's overhanging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

bauderline wrote: »

B.

Yes, I am afraid that an accident will take place; working in the shadow of a crane is dangerous for workers and the public need to be protected too.
    "The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) today warned of the dangers of allowing cranes to operate over the heads of employees. The warning following the prosecution of a Liverpool-based company after a man was killed and another seriously injured after they were struck by a load that fell from a crane."
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2008/coinw1mrxeng08.htm

It also appears that the Health & Safety Authority are not monitoring this site
    despite the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 hsebldMO

Essexboy,

These cranes are left in neutral swing & the direction the arm is pointing will be decided by the way the wind is blowing at that particular time. So I don't see how you can fully quantify the number of times the crane can be out over the road as it's a random thing.

OK, so should the (unloaded) arm somehow miraculously detach itself from the tower, what's the chances of someone being unlucky enough to be on a village road directly under it when it does?

And why should the HSA be monitoring the site? Because one person fears an accident MAY happen due to a properly functioning piece of machinery suddenly running amok for no reason. Come on OP!!

The road in question is a national road with heavy traffic volumes, so heavy that a new road is planned.

The law in England & Wales is clear: “The crane’s boom should not over sail the public highway until a licence has been obtained. The licence will be issued for the purpose of compliance with section 137 of the Highways Act 1980. Please Note that we require proof of Public Liability Insurance of £10,000,000 as indemnity against any claims out of or by reason of anything done in respect of the crane’s boom over sailing the public highway. The licence does not remove the applicant’s responsibility for safety or compliance with other statutory instruments, regulations or abnormal load movements.”

I asked a simple question – are there similar rules in Ireland? A simple question should produce a simple answer I should have thought.

You say "an accident MAY happen due to a properly functioning piece of machinery suddenly running amok " That is called risk assessment! a careful examination of what could cause harm to people, so that you can weigh up whether you have taken enough precautions or should do more to prevent harm.

Essexboy wrote: »
    I asked a simple question – are there similar rules in Ireland? A simple question should produce a simple answer I should have thought.
    Oh! So the HSA haven't been able to help you so you come here and ask us to pull a rabbit out of the hat?

Drop the attitude.

muffler wrote: »
    Oh! So the HSA haven't been able to help you so you come here and ask us to pull a rabbit out of the hat?

Drop the attitude.

I was referring to the HSA NOT the board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Guys,

I think we have a culture clash here.
    The OP comes from a country where rules are clear and (generally) enforced; now he is in Ireland where things are different.

And Mister Moderator Muffler I looked at http://muffler.journals.ie and it is empty! Maybe YOU should take a chill pill!

Let's just cool it all around.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Guys,

I think we have a culture clash here.
    The OP comes from a country where rules are clear and (generally) enforced; now he is in Ireland where things are different.

And Mister Moderator Muffler I looked at http://muffler.journals.ie and it is empty! Maybe YOU should take a chill pill!

Let's just cool it all around.:)
    What has muffler's journal (or lack of) got to do with this?

smashey wrote: »
    What has muffler's journal (or lack of) got to do with this?
    Oh he has a fascination about my journals. He even took the bother to PM me about it.

Now why would he be giving out to me and why would he be quick to explain the OP's background. I wonder ;)

The only culture difference I see is that in the UK you're likely to get caught, here you are likely to get away with it! ;)

PS I was brought up near the OP, (I could see Essex from the upstairs window) Suffolk!

Advertisement