Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whateverford

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Some very good contributions on here. Perhaps the City Fathers have rezoned the Town Centre as a suburb, without telling anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Trotter wrote: »
    And I was just about to say I saw a lot of merit in your opinion.

Call the person with 3 kids who needs to buy something lazy just because its not supportive to the city centre retail?
    To generalise and call everyone who lives outside the city lazy for not wanting to drive into the city to buy something???

I did not call everybody who lives outside the city centre lazy. I said “the supporters of out of town shopping are just lazy”. I’m sorry but wanting shopping centres on the outskirts which is based on the fact that you drive to them and minimize the walking you do even though all the experience of other cities is that they are destructive is selfish and lazy.
    I'm not from the city, neither do I want to be in the city, or to spend time in the city as it is.. because its full of the kind of people I wouldn't want my kids near, derelict buildings, and bad smells.

As I said I am not in disagreement with you about the condition of the city centre. But like with anything in life you try and fix the problem. You do not do something that will make the problem worse and create more problems down the line, especially when you know what to expect from that course of action.
    Therefore.. I'd like a retail centre near where I live. Id like it to be clean, vibrant, with lots of parking, places to eat, a good atmosphere and easily accessible. I won't ask you to be lazy and use the facility that suits me personally, and I won't use the city centre as it suits you. I won't even brand you and anyone that agrees you in a derogatory manner.

See this is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about when I criticize people who support out of town shopping centres. There is no problem with parking in the city centre. Railway sq, The Glen and New St are never full. The problem in these people’s eyes is that you cannot drive around and park outside every shop, you have to walk and again I’m sorry but that is lazy and not reason to allow a shopping centre on the outskirts of the city.
    I have respect for people's opinions, until they call a vast population lazy. (Which I find personally to be a little offensive).

You are exaggerating the mood of what I said; I am not trying to insult anybody. But it is fact that people are living more sedentary lifestyles and cars with car based developments is a major cause of this. It is hardly an attempt to insult by quoting a proven fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Sully wrote: »
    Avoid coming from Ferrybank and just take a right at the traffic lights, up by the golf club, back down to the Dublin road and in the opposite way. Saves time when traffic is heavy!

doesnt really tbh , not when the schools are back in Spetember! and the traffic coming in the Sally Park way at six in the the evenings is terrible. Sucks having to come over the bridge:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

You're quoting your own opinion as fact. What gives you the right to call me lazy when you assume my motivation is to walk less when I shop?

You're wrong on that. You wish the city to be a vibrant place.. fine. I still don't understand why you think I should go into the city centre to shop, when I don't live near it.

I utterly disagree with your points, and I think they're based on you curtailing the choices of people whose rights are just as valid as yours.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

emo!! wrote: »
    doesnt really tbh , not when the schools are back in Spetember! and the traffic coming in the Sally Park way at six in the the evenings is terrible. Sucks having to come over the bridge:rolleyes:

Indeed it does, I've stopped coming over it and now go via Fiddown Bridge...much faster imho :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Out of town shopping has a lot of advantages compared with having to go into town to go shopping. There's usually FREE parking provided and the range of shops is usually better and they are better maintained because they are all indoors and there is a noticeable effort to maintain that appearance.

Indoor shopping centres are much better suited to the changeable Irish weather. As there's no chance of you getting wet bar having to run to the car. There is never anyone around there drinking cans and no possibility of fights. And the place is a lot cleaner then the city centre will ever be.

Now the city centre shopping, for a start there is a horrible selection of shops, especially for means clothing. The place is generally dirty and the selection of places to go for food isn't great. I personally travel to the Dundrum centre or cork whenever I'm looking for clothes or just a look around shops. It only takes 5 Minutes to visit the shops I'm interested in Waterford. Maybe if the NewGate Centre gets the go ahead and shops actually occupy the spaces some people might stay in the city for shopping. But atm there's no incentive to do that. Or in my case I'm struggling to find reasons to stay in Waterford at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

I grew up right in the heart of waterford city and my family still lives there. I gotta say i hate the place. For a start the social scene/nightlife is complete garbage, with geoffs being just about the only place you dont get at least a few knackers. The city centre by day and by night, is full of scumbags and alcoholics. My family home is a 2 minute walk from city square shopping centre, and some genius opened up a homeless centre right beside it. The result? Alcoholics begging/drinking/fighting outside city square every single day. Great planning went into that one.

90% of my friends left waterford after school never to return (like me). Its just a dead end town.

P.S

The only good looking girls in waterford are the foreign ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Trotter wrote: »
    You're quoting your own opinion as fact. What gives you the right to call me lazy when you assume my motivation is to walk less when I shop?

You're wrong on that. You wish the city to be a vibrant place.. fine. I still don't understand why you think I should go into the city centre to shop, when I don't live near it.

I utterly disagree with your points, and I think they're based on you curtailing the choices of people whose rights are just as valid as yours.

No I am quoting fact to back up my opinion.

Why would I want to curtail peoples choice, I live in Waterford to.

My opinion on retail has been proven to be sustainable yours has been proven to be destructive. Out of town shopping centres are banned or severely restricted in many countries in Europe. The same European countries with cities Waterford people visit and suggest Waterford should aspire to. This is the reason they are so nice to visit. You are ignoring the experience of cities that have gone through what Waterford is going through now and have seen the damage that allowing out of town shopping centres do to a city. I find that a very selfish attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I find that a very selfish attitude.

I'm lazy and selfish.. Mother in Law, is that you??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Waterford is starting to go through a phase that a lot of cities worldwide go through, it is the doughnut effect.....
    basically as a city builds up over time around the centre, the centre is the vibrant place to be, but as land prices and rents rise and don't forget planning with this, people start to move out slightly as they cannot afford to have places in the centre so a ring of retail starts to form around the centre, over a period of time the centre becomes quiet and the ring around it is where all the traffic and people are now at...... so hope fully people will take note and waterford city council will help to re-develop and promote the city centre and keep it a vibrant lively place...
    Thats my 2 cents worth

• Advertisement
Advertisement