Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Mullingar

Options
  • 02-08-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

We are moving to mullingar from dublin, looking at College Vale / College Hill / Petiswood and Glenmore Wood estates....Any opinions on these estates???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭coillcam

They're all fine in my opinion, suppose it comes down to price/proximity to amenities etc. especially if you've no car.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

They are nice. I particularly like Petitswood Manor. Have you looked at Royal Canal on the Ardmore Road? The houses look lovely and its been well finished. Belvedere Hills is also quite nice and on a good side of town handy for the ring road (which is everywhere now!). Welcome to Mullingar anyway - if you want to know anything else let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

ymorris wrote: »
    We are moving to mullingar from dublin, looking at College Vale / College Hill / Petiswood and Glenmore Wood estates....Any opinions on these estates???

Was in the same situation about 7 years ago. Originally bought is Ardleigh (Wrong side of the tracks) and moved to the Drive (The nicest part of the estate) in Lakepoint Park. Had a wonderful time in mullingar with friendly and very helpful neighbours. We both wanted to move back to Dublin at some stage, so about three years ago we sold up and moved to Lucan. Would move back in the morning if only they could move the town a little closer to Dublin. The commute to work made for a long day. My wife did find work in mullingar town and I still look back fondly of regularly falling out of Finns bar on a friday night after a long weeks driving...:):) Still have some very good friends that we met in Mullingar and regularly visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ymorris

Thanks a mil, yes were actively looking for employment there as would not be able for the commute, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ymorris

Yes Ive been told to look there also, thanks a mil..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Depending on your budget I would buy the following in order

€500k+ - Mount Prospect

€400k-€500k - 4 bed detached - Brookfield > Ardmore Hills > Petitswood/Ardmore Close

€300k-€400k - 4 bed semi - Petitswood > College Hill

€250k-€300k - 3 bed semi - Petitswood > College Hill

I don't like Lakepoint and Belvedere Hills (too many properties for sale/hard to sell if needed), too many buy to rent properties there and Belvedere Hills and Glenmore Wood are basically ghost estates with half the properties unsold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Thanks a mil, yes were actively looking for employment there as would not be able for the commute, cheers

Good luck looking for work in Westmeath, I've only managed 3 interviews in 4+years of commuting. There's hardly any industry over Mullingar direction anyway, a little better in Athlone thanks to Mary O'Rourke. Unless you wanta work in a pub, resteraunt or shop there's not too much else going on unfortunately. Pity cos it's a nice part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

Have to agree ,we moved down about 7 years ago and still no sign of employment unless you want to work for peanuts.Although I only commute to blanch ( under an hour thanks to the motorway ) I wouldn't miss it if I got work locally
    Welcome to the midlands where closing times are only guidelines !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Yeah there are a few nice bonuses to living in Mullingar allright, closing times being one of them. If the dept of education decentralisation doesnt go ahead I think I'll be looking at moving back to the smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

Of course the fabled Dept of education move to Mullingar.
    Thats been going on a while, last I heard they're talkin 2010.
    My other half is in the civil service and hears different dates all the time:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I much rather prefer the hour commute to Dublin from Mullingar (which i do everyday) to the stress of living in Dublin - when i lived in Dublin a few years ago, it took me longer to get home from work (to my dublin house) than it does now, to mullingar. I would never go back to living in Dublin, the strain of the traffic and public transport farce would put anyone to an early grave. I'm commuting 5 years now to the city and it works out just fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

I wouldn't recommend College Hill/Vale at present. A friend of mine is finding it very hard to sell her house in College Hill as a lot of the houses are now rented and not to the nicest sort of people! Derevara near Lake Point is quite a nice, small estate. Don't buy any of the Ardleigh houses, horrible estates!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

If you are not planning on commuting to the big smoke, I can personally recommend Greenpark on the western edge of town, but you will need a car as it's about 2 miles to the center of town.

I moved from dublin 7 years ago and my family and I would never move back, the life is just to good without all the traffic and hassle in the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭fakefurbabe

myxi wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend College Hill/Vale at present. A friend of mine is finding it very hard to sell her house in College Hill as a lot of the houses are now rented and not to the nicest sort of people! Derevara near Lake Point is quite a nice, small estate. Don't buy any of the Ardleigh houses, horrible estates!

It's not the people but the price of the houses thats putting people off!! :) I have a friend living up there and she has no problems with her neighbours - it's a very quiet estate and very well kept by the people living there (renting or otherwise). I've seen houses for sale varying from 259K up to 375K for the same amount of bedrooms in the same street up there. :confused: My friend managed to knock approx 30K off the asking price of her house because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

myxi wrote: »

Your friend should either a) drop the price of her house to a realistic level or b) rent it out to nice people!!! :)

Not everyone renting falls into the catergory of "not the nicest sort of people!" and not everyone is in the position to buy. There are an awful lot of people who own their own houses who are "not the nicest sort of people!", and you might be unlucky enough to find out after you have bought.

College Hill/Vale is one of the better estates in Mullingar, ask anyone who knows the town well. Ardleigh is not that bad - good and bad in everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gerkil

Hi there
    The estates listed are relatively new ones. College Vale and Hill are a bit out of town, maybe one mlie. Pettiswood and Glenmore are nearer town, with Glenmore being closer to town. They are all excellent addresses. Good luck with moving. Have a good look at them all!

Advertisement