Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reversing cameras.

• 02-08-2008 1:38pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I,d welcome your views on reversing cameras. I am considering using a bike tralier for my bike on the camper, and I am thinking of a reversing camera as well.

How useful are reversing cameras, or are they just big boys toys ;)

kadman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bigx

Hi
    If like mine your m'home has no rear window you will find a reversing camera essential.If you use a gps you will get plenty chances to use the camera because of all the dead ends and odd places you will end up.These cameras make it safe to reverse when you are on your own.Definitely not a toy.
    Yours X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have been thinking about getting one as i have no back window. I haven't had the time to get around to it. Normally i'm not on my own in the MH anyway but if i am i try to make sure i dont drive into anywhere that i would need to reverse out of. Or it's somewhere local so with a bit of forward thinking i can plan a route that doesn't involve tight spots/reversing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

I have one on the back of mine, and I leave it one while I'm driving, using it like a rear view mirror. I think it's essential, as you get some boy racers tucking in behind you and your mirrors don't always see them.

You won't look back!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

where can these be got? are they pricey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

bigx wrote: »
    Hi
    If like mine your m'home has no rear window you will find a reversing camera essential.
    You may even find a reversing camera useful on a van WITH rear window ...because you won't see anything through the window either.

I don't have a rear view camera (too stingy plus I don't fancy drilling holes into my camper), but I do have two big truck mirrors (one plain and large, one convex and smaller) on either side ...couldn't live without those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I got a camera and a 5.8" LCD screen on eBay and fitted it about 2 weeks ago.

We're just back from an 8 day Cork and Kerry Trip and the camera worked great.

In addition to reversing, it was good for checking behind you like a rear view mirror even when driving - in case there is a crazy boy-racer behind that you can 't see in his little sh*tbox.
    I wired it to the standard lights so the camera is on when the lights are on (as opposed to the reversing light).
    The LCD Screen also has a built in TV tuner and an aerial and can pick up RTE pretty good (It's 12v BTW).
    This is the one I got : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250253688034

I also found that there is not enough video lead for a motorhome (to get from the rear to the front comfortably, so I bought this also)

Only complaint I have is that picture can be a little dark sometimes depending the light, but there are different presets on the screen that help with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

i saw this sat nav / reversing camera on ebay. not bad if the quality was ok, the camera looks a bit cheap. seems a good price
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/4-3-GPS-Sat-Nav-Speed-Camera-Bluetooth-Reverse-Camera_W0QQitemZ250278395597QQihZ015QQcategoryZ156954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hi,
    I have a back window,but a reversing camera is a must,it is impossiable to see everything with your side mirrors.I saw a very good one in O'Meara's for a good price a couple of weeks ago.
    boyoh

Advertisement