Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

LoanShark wrote: »
    Remember those competencies you filled out? Read them. And then have another two examples in your head for each one to be able to talk to them about if they ask you for another example..( I had to give another three examples for one competency )
    Know your C.V. And be able to explain any times where you may not have been working and what you were doing.
    When doing the group work, don't hide in the shadows when it comes to getting involved, but don't try to be a know it all either..
    Think along these lines and you'll be fine..

spot on, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

cavan4sam wrote: »
    i got a letter saying to fill out form on public jobs by jan 30th and that interviews/group excercise/report writing would be commencing feb 6th and we will be notified of dates times etc ...
    cant find anything on public jobs what section is the form in ?/

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

i thought they were scrapping the old panels and starting a new recruitment drive?

aside everybody should be able to post here. if you want it for new recruits it should be specified in the title. there are other spin off threads titled new recruits. maybe we should start another one because i'm not particularly interested in the endless questions of the same things and the same answers being given time and time again.
    its just boring..................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

cordub wrote: »
    cant find anything on public jobs what section is the form in ?/

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/en/getDyna.do?name=In_Progress_Campaigns

fill in supplementary application form at bottom of page

cavan4sam wrote: »
    http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/en/getDyna.do?name=In_Progress_Campaigns

fill in supplementary application form at bottom of page
    so this form is only if you have already been called for interview its not for actually applying for the job???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

so this form is only if you have already been called for interview its not for actually applying for the job???

That's correct. It is for applicants to submit material to be questioned about in their interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 yvette32

Oh god, just filled out the supplementary application. NERVES!!!! :)

yvette32 wrote: »
    Oh god, just filled out the supplementary application. NERVES!!!! :)
    ah good luck to you . do you know any prison officers that you can talk to about the job??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Received interview notice also for week commencing 6th Feb.
    Was a surprise cause put it out of my mind since 2008. Entered a previous competition and got called straight away in 2007 but was unsuccessful at interview. Not an easy day ahead for those that don't know, however I was not prepared last time round and as already echoed on this thread, Preparation is the key.

One more try then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

not sure if its been mentioned but one thing i can remember from the interview...

<mod snip>

Discussing anything from the interview is against the forum charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Interviews are great for saying your piece but when ( if ) you get in... Keep everything above your nose wide OPEN AND everything below your nose FIRMLY SHUT. Ask questions, by all means, but keep opinions to yourself until you're in a position to have your opinion listened to. Hello DingDong by the way... Long time no hear...

rogieop wrote: »
    not sure if its been mentioned but one thing i can remember from the interview...

<mod snip>

Discussing anything from the interview is against the forum charter.

480905 wrote: »
    Interviews are great for saying your piece but when ( if ) you get in... Keep everything above your nose wide OPEN AND everything below your nose FIRMLY SHUT. Ask questions, by all means, but keep opinions to yourself until you're in a position to have your opinion listened to. Hello DingDong by the way... Long time no hear...
    this is the new breed. you must understand it is different from our day. this is what the panel WANT to hear. he/she was talking about an interview. this sounded like good points to me regarding what they are looking in a prison officer nowadays. you and i may not agree with it but OUR opinion means nothing at interview level.
    this is the way it is. he/she mentioned security - great - throw a bit of empathy and understanding of the prisoner and trying to make a difference and score - the job is yours!
    for anyone going for interview i would recommend concentrating on these points.

and yeah i understand what you are saying because more and more people step back when an incident happens because its a sad reflection on the new recruits and its the same people jumping in. i'm a female and i have to jump in when the lads stand back slack jawed.

but this is the prison officer management are moulding. they want to hear the answers they want to hear - just remember that - that is all they are interested in!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 barfold

Thats fine but speaking as someone who is fairly new, when you jump in, confiscate contraband and basically do your job management dont support you if prisoners become upset. The guy who stands at his post as required but does'nt engage or care about what happens on the floor is better off

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

I think the ole senior wardens are getting a little sensitive.

The poster offered some advice for an interview and 480905 you just totally over reacted. These guys havent even passed the interview yet. There will be plenty of time for the words of wisdom. They arent even listening to what you are saying right now. They are focused on getting by the interview and hopefully getting the job someday soon.

@ bitter lemon... I dont know where you work, but I havent experienced what your saying. In fact I have seen senior staff put themselves and other staff at risk by jumping into situations without sufficent back up, forcing others to follow. Only saw this twice, but its not good enough from people with their years.

As junior staff we know very little, but senior staff dont know it all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Just to let people know, I have snipped the comments about the interview as it is against the charter to discuss anything about your interview.

Also, remember, if you're going to criticise anyone, make sure you offer it as an opinion which gives the other party/parties an opportunity to reply. That way, we can keep the discussion civilised, mature and engaging. Making direct accusations about people is guaranteed to get peoples' back up where it could have been avoided.

On a personal (non-moderator) note, I like to see discussion of people with decades of experience doing the job versus people with (for example) academic qualifications who are applying for the job.

From what I can see, those who have decades of experience doing the job seem to feel entitled to automatic respect for their years, but forget that it's possible to be in a job for decades and be terrible at it! Some of the ex-RUC people in my job have virtually zero people skills because they policed at a time when people skills and community relations were not a prerequisite for the job.

If it's possible for some people to be brilliant police officers, far better than people twenty years their senior, then is it not possible for someone who was 'born for the job' to join and learn quite quickly, and in no time at all become just as good as those in the job 20+ years?

On an encouraging and respectful note for those who do the job, I have nothing but the highest of respect for them. I have seen the job they do, and society seems to forget the people who are tasked with taking care of the worst of the worst, who have committed the most violent and vile crimes thinkable.

It's easy for a magi to just say "20 years" but what happens to the person after that? Do they come out worse than they were when they went in, and if so, who is to blame? How much money should we spend on rehabilitating these people so that they'll be reformed when they come out?

Finally, we hear about cuts all the time, but how and where could you cut some of the €90,000 it costs to imprison a prisoner for one year? Should people go to jail for not paying their TV licence or is this a waste of public funds?

I don't expect people to respond to every point I've raised, but there is loads of potential discussion on this thread but like I said, discuss is the key word. People are bound to gravitate towards one point of view or other, but how you put your point of view across, while rebutting the point for discussion is how you'll win people around to your way of thinking, all while being respectful and courteous in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 abj

Hi All, My husband received a letter on Friday inviting him to stage 2 of the 2008 campaign. Im wondering is it at all worth it financially? He is in employment now and brings home €370 per week. I suppose I want to know if we would be any better off if he was successful and got this job. We have two kids but he has a son that we have on weekends so I alos would like a general idea of what the shifts are like or would his weekends be messed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Originally posted by Shield
    Finally, we hear about cuts all the time, but how and where could you cut some of the €90,000 it costs to imprison a prisoner for one year? Should people go to jail for not paying their TV licence or is this a waste of public funds?

Well I personally find it ridiculous that prisoners get a gratuity for doing absolutely flip all. Ok, its only 2.65 a day or something but my lord, that adds up. Fair enough if the prisoner has a job in the kitchen or is in a workshop or the likes, but other wise scrap it surely?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi guys (and bitter_lemon),

The ES forum mods have decided to remove the Prison Officer shift timetable, and all the associated posts that followed. Yes, it might be available for people to view, but we don't want to make it this easy for them to find it here. We're not saying it's going to stop those determined to get a hold of it, but it will frustrate their efforts just that little bit more, and those of you who do the job will know that this forum supports you in your job, and demonstrates that support by not making your shift pattern readily available.

Please note that this is a moderator decision, and is non-negotiable.

Let's get it back on topic please. Like I said earlier, there's loads to talk about in this job if you look hard enough.

Thanks,

The ES Mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Omackeral wrote: »
    Originally posted by Shield

Well I personally find it ridiculous that prisoners get a gratuity for doing absolutely flip all. Ok, its only 2.65 a day or something but my lord, that adds up. Fair enough if the prisoner has a job in the kitchen or is in a workshop or the likes, but other wise scrap it surely?!

I agree, though at this stage I've heard two completely different reasons behind doing it.
    Though it's a good way to get remuneration when a prisoner breaks/defaces something.
    abj wrote:
    Im wondering is it at all worth it financially? He is in employment now and brings home €370 per week. I suppose I want to know if we would be any better off if he was successful and got this job.
    He would be better off on paper but there are alot of other things that need to be factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

abj wrote: »
    Hi All, My husband received a letter on Friday inviting him to stage 2 of the 2008 campaign. Im wondering is it at all worth it financially? He is in employment now and brings home €370 per week. I suppose I want to know if we would be any better off if he was successful and got this job. We have two kids but he has a son that we have on weekends so I alos would like a general idea of what the shifts are like or would his weekends be messed up?

I would say better off in general and long term. he would get more than the above figure, plus once he passes his probationary period he has relative job security which I doubt he has at the moment.

• Advertisement

Shield wrote: »
    Hi guys (and bitter_lemon),

The ES forum mods have decided to remove the Prison Officer shift timetable, and all the associated posts that followed. Yes, it might be available for people to view, but we don't want to make it this easy for them to find it here. We're not saying it's going to stop those determined to get a hold of it, but it will frustrate their efforts just that little bit more, and those of you who do the job will know that this forum supports you in your job, and demonstrates that support by not making your shift pattern readily available.

Please note that this is a moderator decision, and is non-negotiable.

Let's get it back on topic please. Like I said earlier, there's loads to talk about in this job if you look hard enough.

Thanks,

The ES Mods.
    whats with the guys and bitter lemon? i never even discussed shift pattern :confused:
    none of the content i wrote was deleted. nowt to do with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

whats with the guys and bitter lemon? i never even discussed shift pattern :confused:
    none of the content i wrote was deleted. nowt to do with me!

Because youre a sheeser, the mods dont see you as one of the guys, not very pc:D

wexfjord wrote: »
    Because youre a sheeser, the mods dont see you as one of the guys, not very pc:D
    oh lol really?
    i was getting paranoid! theres loadsa sheesers here! sheesh :P

just as well i'm not one of those hairy legged feminists :)

oh lol really?
    Yep. Simple as. If I'd said "Hi guys", I didn't want you to feel left out. If I had said "Hi guys and gals", it would have been factually incorrect as far as I know, so the best thing was to greet all the guys and you in the shortest possible way!

Yep. Simple as. If I'd said "Hi guys", I didn't want you to feel left out. If I had said "Hi guys and gals", it would have been factually incorrect as far as I know, so the best thing was to greet all the guys and you in the shortest possible way!
    with all due respect thats a pretty misogynistic view to have. in future only use my name when you are directly talking to me. i am not involved in your warning. i'm sure the other females feel left out too :rolleyes:
    good day to you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 brigal

Hi all? Anyone have any ideas as to how many positions are available? Hope since the time lapsed since original application many may be after either emigrating or are no longer in a position to be able to move their family to Dublin or surrounding areas

with all due respect thats a pretty misogynistic view to have. in future only use my name when you are directly talking to me. i am not involved in your warning. i'm sure the other females feel left out too :rolleyes:
    good day to you sir!
    I actually only intended it to be a friendly acknowledgement of your presence on the forum as well as being a PO to whom the message was being addressed to. I'm genuinely sorry if you feel it was anything other than in good spirit. Ordinarily I'd PM you, but I want the forum to see how easy it is for an intended friendly quip can go wrong because we don't have tone of voice or body language to help convey our messages.

Like I said, genuinely sorry.

I actually only intended it to be a friendly acknowledgement of your presence on the forum as well as being a PO to whom the message was being addressed to. I'm genuinely sorry if you feel it was anything other than in good spirit. Ordinarily I'd PM you, but I want the forum to see how easy it is for an intended friendly quip can go wrong because we don't have tone of voice or body language to help convey our messages.

Like I said, genuinely sorry.
    id say she gets it Sheild :D:D:D its the PO s warped sense of humour we know you were only being friendly but she s right she isnt the only Female on this forum;););););)

id say she gets it Sheild :D:D:D its the PO s warped sense of humour we know you were only being friendly but she s right she isnt the only Female on this forum;););););)
    well hemm 6 of one half dozen of the other. i did get offended that he should think i was the only female here. thanks for outing yourself! plenty more like you....:D
    i just don't think its right to quote the guys and bitter lemon! get the boat :rolleyes:

oh i'm sorry did i out you as a sheesher? sorry if it was not in the public forum. theres plenty here who are contributing who are female. grand if they don't feel the need to disclose their gender.
    but thats a silly statement from a mod to make! never ever quote me unless i am taken to task - thank you!
    i'm actually quite serious about this!
    i don't mind people taking the piss but a mod in a forum? no sir!

• Advertisement

Boat got.

Advertisement