Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

There's a class starting 2 june as posted on here, things are moving all be it alittle slow, as for doing po in another country i'd say you would need to be citizen, not a bad idea, wouldnt be for me tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

Well you would def need residency plus i dont think its as well paid in other countries as it is in Ireland but then again maybe thats changed with the pension levy.Anyhow i notice this thread getting very quiet keep on it anyway even if it is only to moan and speculate!!:DWhat is everyone doing while they wait to start?like are there people totally relying on getting in like myself!??

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

you can join the british prison service once your a member of the eu

• Registered Users Posts: 13 blanchlad

yeah scatman,im relying on it too.my hours are cut back in work so im banking on getting in.im so bored so im on this site all the time checking it out for details cos i havnt heard a thing from the ips since i heard i passed my medical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Just a note too all those who strarted yesterday, June 2nd in Beladd House, good luck to ye all and keep us all posted on how ye are getting on. Please pass on any relevent information etc. to all us waiting.
    GOOD LUCK AND WELL DONE!!!!!

• Advertisement

I 2nd that good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 salut

Hi could any body tell me what the phycial test entails and what times each are expected for each test.Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

Best of luck to all that started on june 2nd. I'm still waiting for my interview from the 08 batch.

Check out page 5 of this thread. This is what I and many others on the 07 panel had to do for ours. Not sure if it has changed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katb42

Also if you go into www.publicjobs.ie and click into "Campaign Updates" and then "In Progress Campaigns" and then look down the list for "Recruit Prison Officer 2008". Under that heading you will find "Physical Competency Test Information Leaflet". That will also tell you everything that you need to know for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 micki1983

Garryd wrote: »
    Just a note too all those who strarted yesterday, June 2nd in Beladd House, good luck to ye all and keep us all posted on how ye are getting on. Please pass on any relevent information etc. to all us waiting.
    GOOD LUCK AND WELL DONE!!!!!

thanks, the training is brill, so impressive. and to clarify once and for all we ARE the last batch until 2011 at least. went on a tour of a prison and it's so impressive, can't wait to get stuck in in dublin. saw the sniffer dog in action too, class! the downside was the hottest week we may ever get in ireland was the first week in but that was only a fleeting regret. The coursework is going to be toughish for some of the rpo's that haven't been in education for 10 years+. Still the graft will be worth it as i can see the benefits of the training already.

tommy57 wrote: »
    you can join the british prison service once your a member of the eu

:eek:Don't, they get £15000 annually and don't get the training that ips gives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

the information i have receieved is that 85 pos have applied for early exit and closing date of september maybe extended. August is the next start date for rpos so if 25 start then(i have been told a definite yes) it is safe to assume rest of 07 panel will start work this year.Lets hope for best !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

micki1983 wrote: »
    thanks, the training is brill, so impressive. and to clarify once and for all we ARE the last batch until 2011 at least. went on a tour of a prison and it's so impressive, can't wait to get stuck in in dublin. saw the sniffer dog in action too, class! the downside was the hottest week we may ever get in ireland was the first week in but that was only a fleeting regret. The coursework is going to be toughish for some of the rpo's that haven't been in education for 10 years+. Still the graft will be worth it as i can see the benefits of the training already.

Sorry buddy but what do you mean you are the last batch until 2011 at least?
    If po's are retiring they will have to be replaced, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

dropsey wrote: »
    the information i have receieved is that 85 pos have applied for early exit and closing date of september maybe extended. August is the next start date for rpos so if 25 start then(i have been told a definite yes) it is safe to assume rest of 07 panel will start work this year.Lets hope for best !!

That sounds promising :D

Did anyone find out how many are left from the 07 panel? I'm in the 08 camp myself so I have awhile to wait.

I heard the same as you Dropsey, hopefully its true, if mickie1983 is hearing that from ips while training then there maybe some truth to it, but lets face it, the ips and publicjobs dont know whats happening themselves, i mean mickie1983 posted that she was due to start training late june or early july and he started a month earlier?, they haven't a clue whats going on, with all considerd i dont tink this lot who have started are the last, retirements, and prison extention openings etc will see most of 07 start soon.

I agree with recruit po. If prison officers retire, THEY HAVE TO BE REPLACED. We are dealing with Irelands criminals here, in theory the most dangerous people in the country. They have to be monitered and prevented from escaping etc. If 100 people retire dont 100 people have to replace them? Yes? No? Does this make sense or am i talking out my arse? Anyone share an opinion?

recruit po wrote: »
    Sorry buddy but what do you mean you are the last batch until 2011 at least?
    If po's are retiring they will have to be replaced, no?

that means loads of OT for us. Ah no, each lecturer is saying a different thing every day so don't mind me. I hope there are going to be more rpo's cuz that means we won't be bottom of the ladder long. it's hard to know who to believe but i'd say it's fair to say nobody seems to know anything for sure so don't get the ole hopes up too much cuz we keep getting told how lucky we are to get in now. hang in there though.

I heard the same as you Dropsey, hopefully its true, if mickie1983 is hearing that from ips while training then there maybe some truth to it, but lets face it, the ips and publicjobs dont know whats happening themselves, i mean mickie1983 posted that he was due to start training late june or early july and he started a month earlier?, they haven't a clue whats going on, with all considerd i dont tink this lot who have started are the last, retirements, and prison extention openings etc will see most of 07 start soon.

I am a she actually. and we were due to start the 15th June not late June early July and were only called in two weeks early with a month's notice. but again I hope there is a new batch in August but the IPS aren't letting on if they are aware of it.

at the end of the day if people retire,they retire. they d,ont have to be replaced. it depends whats cheaper to our brilliant money wasting goverment to have more recruits or bring in the overtime as they did in the 80,s. everyone is going off the nut here trying to figure out whats going on .most of it is rumours anyway. just sit tight and if you get the call fair play,buts its out of everyones hands.I have,nt even got my clearance yet and i did my interview july 7 2008. if it happens it happens, but d,ont let it start taking over your life.this shower havent a clue what their at.i,d say it will be dowm to thornton been built whether more are going to be taking on.

• Advertisement

Has anybody been on to the IPS lately to find out any more information?

you just get the same response.they d,ont know whats happening.

tommy57 wrote: »
    at the end of the day if people retire,they retire. they d,ont have to be replaced. it depends whats cheaper to our brilliant money wasting goverment to have more recruits or bring in the overtime as they did in the 80,s. everyone is going off the nut here trying to figure out whats going on .most of it is rumours anyway. just sit tight and if you get the call fair play,buts its out of everyones hands.I have,nt even got my clearance yet and i did my interview july 7 2008. if it happens it happens, but d,ont let it start taking over your life.this shower havent a clue what their at.i,d say it will be dowm to thornton been built whether more are going to be taking on.

Amen

I rang up the IPS today and they said that at the minute nobody knows whats happening. He also said that with the recruitment ban in place until 2010 it is possible that there will be no recruits taken on until 2011, but at the same time if recruits are needed in the mean time they will be taken on. He also said that it will be November until the IPS themselves get a straight answer about what is going on. Also our names will still be kept on the panel.

So at least that is good news, he is not ruling out people being called before 2011.

katb42 wrote: »
    Has anybody been on to the IPS lately to find out any more information?
    I emailed them last week and got no reply everybody is prob hounding them!Maybe we should form a campaign group ''Forgotten souls of '07" :D

I was on too the IPS on tuesday 9TH of june and basically got the same reply as katb42. They seem to be as much in the dark as we are. Lets spare a thought for the poor people in the IPS hr department listening to all of us harping on at them day in day out!!!!!!

Scatman81 wrote: »
    I emailed them last week and got no reply everybody is prob hounding them!Maybe we should form a campaign group ''Forgotten souls of '07" :D

Lol thats hilarious, although I dont think that we are giving them much of a chance to forget about us. :D

Garryd is right we should spare the IPS staff a thought but at the same time we just want to know where we stand as the 07 campaigners have already waited nearly two and a half years. If we dont push to get answers as to what is going on then we will definately not know where we stand.

katb42 wrote: »
    Lol thats hilarious, although I dont think that we are giving them much of a chance to forget about us. :D

Garryd is right we should spare the IPS staff a thought but at the same time we just want to know where we stand as the 07 campaigners have already waited nearly two and a half years. If we dont push to get answers as to what is going on then we will definately not know where we stand.
    So i got an email back yest from the ips saying pretty much what you said they told you last week.Think im very far back on the '07 panel some of ye will hear first!he said to contact him towards the end of the year for more info so im thinking it will be after xmas for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Hi guys,new to all this(2008 campaign).Just wondering when things do get moving again where do you get the audiogram done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

ask your gp for a referal, he will know the nearest facility to you, if you know yourself then give them a ring, I think you have to send it to the CMO then, although the audiologist might send it for you

Advertisement