Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

ask your gp for a referal, he will know the nearest facility to you, if you know yourself then give them a ring, I think you have to send it to the CMO then, although the audiologist might send it for you
    :)Thanks for the info.I appreciate that.Hope the campaign gets moving again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

specsavers in drogheda do them. d,ont know if thats any use

Thats plenty of use.Any information is better than none.Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know if many prison officers are retiring this year or is it mad to hope for some movement on the last recruitment campaign.

With the minister just having announced that thornton hall is to commence this year and portlaoise prison is to offically open a new block next month,surely this will get the recruitment campaigns moving again.What do you think????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 marian1987

Hi all im completely new to this boards idea...seems interesting to say the least!

I need assistance pronto! As part of my Matsers Degree i am completing a thesis on the stress levels of Prison officers....

To ensure i get accurate research i urgently need to get in contact with a prison officer who would be willling to give me a 1 hour interview about the day to day activities of their job etc

Any prison officers willing to help!?

p.s sorry if i ruined a thread or something!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

marian1987 wrote: »
    Hi all im completely new to this boards idea...seems interesting to say the least!

I need assistance pronto! As part of my Matsers Degree i am completing a thesis on the stress levels of Prison officers....

To ensure i get accurate research i urgently need to get in contact with a prison officer who would be willling to give me a 1 hour interview about the day to day activities of their job etc

Any prison officers willing to help!?

p.s sorry if i ruined a thread or something!!!

Unfortunately all of us here are recruits waiting to get in or a few who have just got in. I presume that you'll nned someone who has been in the job for a few years to get accurate readings for your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marian1987

Yeah i need some one has been mentally drained foem the job, got get some juicy reserach!

Thanks for the reply, good luck with the job, my research to date has led me to believe its a very intense job!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

There are some serving officers posting on this forum, if you go back to the first few pages of the thread, check the posts and try find someone from there, you'll know by the posts. then maybe private message them!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

yeah this is great news, these developments along with retirements will get it moving again, hopefully soon. does anybody know how many are retiring this year, i was told a few hundred by a family member( serving officer) anyone else hear anything??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

I heard the same as you PO Candidate, also from a serving officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Just came across this. Its from the leinster express. Fingers crossed everybody.

A NEW block in Portlaoise Prison is due to open next month.
    Nearly six months after construction work was completed, the Minister for Justice, Dermot Ahern has confirmed that the new wing will open at the end of July. The expansion will accommodate 150 prisoners, but it remains to be seen whether the new facility will be fully occupied. There are 210 places at the high security jail at present but, unlike the neighbouring Midlands Prison, the jail operates well below capacity. The Minister revealed the July opening date when he announced this week that the Government is to proceed with the opening of Thornton Hall outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katb42

I dont think that the opening of Thornton Hall will affect us because it will not be open for at least four years, and I hope that we will all be working in the Prison Service by then. Also how many officers will they need for the opening of the new wing in Portlaoise? Will they take on new recruits for this purpose or will they use existing officers?

I was told by a prison officer that they are already understaffed and a lot of guys want to retire this year.Also portlaoise prison will not be the only prison to open a new block this year.So fingers crossed.....
    check this out..http://http://www.fiannafail.ie/news/entry/government-go-ahead-for-revised-thornton-hall-prison/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

Just talking to a serving member of the prison service in portlaoise and they don't have any info on the new wing there yet. And when it does open they reckcon that they'll bring officers down from the dublin prisons. So hopefully that'll create spaces up there and the campagain can get under way again.

Well lavman,sounds like there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cmc2009

Has anyone rang the ips latley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

cmc2009 wrote: »
    What's the point. They don't have any new information. Don't think they will untill near the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

jason99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if many prison officers are retiring this year or is it mad to hope for some movement on the last recruitment campaign.

in or around 1980 there was a massive recruitment campaign;
    notices appeared all over the place, even on telephone poles, stating "wanted, 1000 prison officers";
    the first lot of that intake are due to retire in 2010, if not sooner;
    recruiting was still taking place in the first half of 1983;
    to the best of my knowledge, the output for 1982 was 8 classes with approx 25 candidates in each;
    i believe long-serving staff are chomping at the bit to get out and almost all do at the earliest possible opportunity;
    however, strange things have happened in the past with regards to recruitment to the prison service and to the gardai;
    it appears candidates previously deemed unsuitable were subsequently recruited before the commencement of the next recruitment campaign;
    perhaps the entrance exam did away with that strange practice?

what will happen is you will get some retirements, then maybe some officers will be on 6 month or a year contracts till they have enough trained and at least some experiance . then in 2010 the whole wage structure will be changed and officers will be on less money and the pension will be done away with. the budget in december will crease everyone across the board.then the prison service ,the guards etc will know what the situation will be regarding recruitment etc. when they know what their budget will be. but i would,nt put it by the goverment not replacing anyone.

• Advertisement

everyone working in the civil service received a letter or will be receiving a letter asking them to take a 3 year career break...place is fooked

I phoned ips today.No news there.

However,on a different note, the an bord snip nua report cannot justify staff cuts in the prison service due to the large number of people due to retire.
    Anyone else any news?????

tommy57 wrote: »
    what will happen is you will get some retirements, then maybe some officers will be on 6 month or a year contracts till they have enough trained and at least some experiance . then in 2010 the whole wage structure will be changed and officers will be on less money and the pension will be done away with. the budget in december will crease everyone across the board.then the prison service ,the guards etc will know what the situation will be regarding recruitment etc. when they know what their budget will be. but i would,nt put it by the goverment not replacing anyone.

Do you really think that the pension will be done away with?????
    Can they do that??:eek:

they can do what they like. sure their taking money off everyone with their levey ,taxing anything they can.

the only thing that I'm afraid off is that were waiting that long that they might not use the people they have on the list at the moment.o would they do that after everything they put us through..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

the only thing that I'm afraid off is that were waiting that long that they might not use the people they have on the list at the moment.o would they do that after everything they put us through..

the letter i got from ipc after pct test states "that you will be placed on panel from which vacanies WILL be filled ".
    We will have to hang tough. I dont think 25 will start in August due to holidays but am hopeful 25 wil start in september. All the talk of cutbacks will mean a large number of retirement after septmber the first deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katb42

As they are talking about cut backs right across the public sector does that not mean that it is highly unlikely that they will be taking on new recruits within the prison service? As well as cutting back on pay and putting the pension levy in place they are also trying to cut down on staffing numbers within the public sector. Members of the civil service have been sent out letters asking them if they would take a career break for three years, and I was talking to a Garda who said the ban on recruitment has now also been extended for three years rather than till the end of 2010. I dont know about you guys but i'm not holding out much hope. I'm going to continue with college and if I get the call that is great and if I don't, I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

katb42 wrote: »
    As they are talking about cut backs right across the public sector does that not mean that it is highly unlikely that they will be taking on new recruits within the prison service? As well as cutting back on pay and putting the pension levy in place they are also trying to cut down on staffing numbers within the public sector. Members of the civil service have been sent out letters asking them if they would take a career break for three years, and I was talking to a Garda who said the ban on recruitment has now also been extended for three years rather than till the end of 2010. I dont know about you guys but i'm not holding out much hope. I'm going to continue with college and if I get the call that is great and if I don't, I don't.

From what I gathered from the Papers and stuff, those letters about career breaks didn't include the Gardai or Prison service. Numbers are down as they are. I personally don't see this freeze lasting till after Christmas. Alot of rumours flouting around. Take with a pinch of salt

katb42 wrote: »

The an bord snip nua report states that they cannot recommend staff cuts in the prison service.The prison service is already under pressure with a large number of officers due to retire and a rise in crime and prisoner numbers.So i would not worry about it.Things will be moving by the end of the year.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

I recently got some information from someone whos uncle works within the prison service. He said that the plan is too take 25 recruits in october and another 25 in october. Again as a previous poster said 'take with a pinch of salt' but hey if it goes ahead HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

Advertisement