Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

All this waiting around could drive you nuts.........
    But then again its extra time to prepare for interview,fitness test etc for 08 campaign.
    Anyone practised the shuttle runs?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katb42

Has anybody rang the IPS to find out if there is a group starting in October? I cant ring again because they told me not to ring back until towards the end of the year. Think I was ringing them too much!!! :D

jason99 wrote: »
    All this waiting around could drive you nuts.........
    But then again its extra time to prepare for interview,fitness test etc for 08 campaign.
    Anyone practised the shuttle runs?????????

My advice is to start practicing the shuttle runs now. I play football so thought that I was fairly fit but when I started practicing the shuttle runs it took alot out of me and found that I was barely within the time limit each time. Thank God on the day I passed it. I would say to increase your fitness you would be better to go jogging outside rather than on a treadmill as to me that would be more beneficial. The rest of the physical test is easy so I wouldn't worry about it, but just focus on practicing the shuttle runs and you should be fine.

Sound advice katb42.Hope you hear about the next in take of recruits soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

katb42 wrote: »
    My advice is to start practicing the shuttle runs now. I play football so thought that I was fairly fit but when I started practicing the shuttle runs it took alot out of me and found that I was barely within the time limit each time. Thank God on the day I passed it. I would say to increase your fitness you would be better to go jogging outside rather than on a treadmill as to me that would be more beneficial. The rest of the physical test is easy so I wouldn't worry about it, but just focus on practicing the shuttle runs and you should be fine.

with the shuttle runs is it from point to point or around a track started to practise them and i'm a minute over the time at this stage but in saying that i could push myself a bit more.

• Advertisement

lavman wrote: »
    with the shuttle runs is it from point to point or around a track started to practise them and i'm a minute over the time at this stage but in saying that i could push myself a bit more.

The shuttle runs are from point to point. They are also held indoors. The more you practice the more your time will come down. Also on the day you will push yourself that bit harder. The shuttle runs are tough going but just think that it is the last stage off this whole process. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 salut

Thanks for the the advise on the shuttle runs .Idid them yesterday and just found out how unfit i am .Keep it going guys and girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Garryd wrote: »
    I recently got some information from someone whos uncle works within the prison service. He said that the plan is too take 25 recruits in october and another 25 in october. Again as a previous poster said 'take with a pinch of salt' but hey if it goes ahead HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

"He said that the plan is too take 25 recruits in october and another 25 in october"? Am confused :)
    Also are these from the prior panel or the new panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

i'd say that was a simple mistake, probley meant november? and they will take from old panel as there are still people waiting from previous campaign in 2007.

I was just reading the garda recruitment medical thread and i see some one there from the 08 campaign was just called for a medical.If things start moving for the garda campaign maybe there's hope for us too.Any one else heard anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 pmcb_aura

Hi Just preparing for the physical waiting for the call. anyone got any tips to improve for the shuttle runs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Just got a phone call from the ips sayin that they are awaiting approval for a class starting august 24 asking if i would be available to start. Anyone else get this call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Good to see it's moving again, I know from a relation in the IPS that they are under pressure with officer numbers, getting to an unsafe level, best of luck to ya

pmcb_aura wrote: »
    Hi Just preparing for the physical waiting for the call. anyone got any tips to improve for the shuttle runs?

No tips i'm afraid,just practise,practise,practise as a previous poster said.I was running long distance on a treadmill and it did nothing for my shuttle runs.The only way to improve my time is to practise the shuttle runs and build up endurance.Its hard to believe but they are tough.

Delighted for anyone who gets a call to start in august.Best of luck.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 crusher20

ya i got the same call today,thank god. its been a long 2 and a half years

Dont get too excited dude. Its still nothing definate yet. But its looking pretty good!

i tink we have every reason to be optimistic,them ringing is a very good sign. contracts will be in the door to us on tuesday:)

Just got a phone call from the ips sayin that they are awaiting approval for a class starting august 24 asking if i would be available to start. Anyone else get this call?

I also got the call today, they are planning to start 40 people in August. I really hope that they get approval. Its only two and a half weeks away!!!!:D I also dont think that they would have rang us unless they were pretty sure that we were going to start. Fingers crossed everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

Ok this is the first glimmer of light in a long time!:)im in Oz hope they werent trying to ring me!!can i ask what your order of merit is?im 70 just wondering where id be in relation to you?keep us informed anyway...

Dont get me wrong. I was told that they are still awaiting approval and that nothing is definate until this class is approved. Our contracts will only be in the door tuesday pending approval on Monday. I do agree with ya that this is the only glimmer that we all have had in the last 2 an a half years and as i said already it is looking good but im trying not to build myself up for a fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

are you guys are from the 07 campain ,i was 220's in the 08 campain so im in for a wait me thinks....let us know how ye get on and best of luck to ye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Hopefully this means that the interviews for top 60 of 08 will go ahead, might still take a while to get in but it would be nice at this stage to see some progress. surprised serving PO's havent striked at this stage if things are as bad numbers wise as we are hearing. last weeks government receipts may not help the case for recruitment, seeing as they now seem to favour possible tagging and release of prisoners to alleviate the current ratio of prisoners to officers. Irish soloution, let them out and no need for officers.

Best of luck by the way to those who got the call, hopefully things will work out on monday. Bit of movement with garda recruitment also, things can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

It would be great for you guys to be called, ive been posting hear since october 08 and did test in 08, and you guys deserve it. i would be pretty confident they'l get approval.dont think they would ring if there wasnt a good chance, best of luck to the guys who post hear everyday and gave me hint and tips. enjoy the training and sign on back here once in awhile! goodluck

I was just on to the prison service and they said that because they need prison officers so urgently they are cutting the recruit training from 9 weeks to just 5 weeks. Everybody will probably be sent to wheatfield prison then

a bit like the driving licence amnesty, inadequately trained persons put behind the wheel of the prison service. why not recruit 4 weeks earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 megranny

Is anybody here STILL waiting on there Security Check to come back ONE WHOLE YEAR LATER??? bloody joke. Im ringing them tomoro and if my check is not back by the end of the week im going to blow my top,such a joke,ANY BODY ELSE IN THE SAME BOAT??????? Well done to all the people who got the call,best of luck and see you soon, Fingers crossed,if I ever get my check back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

Are the lads that got the call from the 07 or 08 campaign? Best of luck to those that did, hope to get a call soon myself.

What details exactly do they look for in the backround security check?????

• Advertisement

All from the 07 campaign. If they are as stuck for people as they say then maybe the 08 campaign might be hurried along too. Hang on in there lads and ladies. I hope its all going to be worth it for us all.

Advertisement