Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kilkennny

Hi everybody, im new to this so please bare with me. i just have a question for anybody that can answer it, its about the physical competency test and the strenght test 34kgs is very heavy, has anybody got tips on been able to push that weight ive been in the gym and it just seems beyond me:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 megranny

kilkennny wrote: »
    Hi everybody, im new to this so please bare with me. i just have a question for anybody that can answer it, its about the physical competency test and the strenght test 34kgs is very heavy, has anybody got tips on been able to push that weight ive been in the gym and it just seems beyond me:mad:
    Kilkenny, dont lift that weight right away,start off at 28kgs or so and try that for a while then move up 2 30kgs and so on,34kgs is heavy if you have only lifted it once,but like everything you have to work yourself up to the weight,so start low and you will be suprised that the 34kgs is not that bad. hope this helps,have you been called for you Physical??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rocknrolla

the pct test isnt a bench test your not on your back its like a modified rowing machine that tests the force exerted through pushing and pulling train for explosive power fast reps on the nech and you should fly it the run is decieving so focus on that even the fittest were cream crackered after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

Hey guys is there any people on the 2007 panel who havent recieved the call to start on the 24th of aug??please dont leave me here with the 2008 guys!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rocknrolla

im with you from 07 failed pct run by 15 seconds but fingers crossed il get a shout soon

• Advertisement

rocknrolla wrote: »
    im with you from 07 failed pct run by 15 seconds but fingers crossed il get a shout soon
    Did you repeat the pct?those shuttle runs were tough,i play a good bit of sport and i was shattered after it.There cant be many left of the'07 panel left to start if this 40 start training so ya fingers crossed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

I just rang the IPS there, spoke to a nice bloke who told me that there are 130 left on the 07 panel. From that 40 are being taken in, in August so that leaves 90 left from 07 before us 08 lads hear anything.
    He also said that they only got approval late last week for this intake but they are hopeful of being approved for more intakes in the coming months.
    The official line is still that there is a recruitment ban in the public service :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cmc2009

has anyone who got the phone call on friday recived the letter today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

recruit po wrote: »
    I just rang the IPS there, spoke to a nice bloke who told me that there are 130 left on the 07 panel. From that 40 are being taken in, in August so that leaves 90 left from 07 before us 08 lads hear anything.
    He also said that they only got approval late last week for this intake but they are hopeful of being approved for more intakes in the coming months.
    The official line is still that there is a recruitment ban in the public service :confused:

Hopefully they will want the next panel in place from the 08 competition before they exhaust the 07 panel just to keep things running smoothly.When the question was put to dermot ahern about the recruitment freeze,he replied that the prison service had a panel from 07 and will have a panel from 08 to meet the recruitment needs of the prison service.Fingers crossed,it wont be long.

megranny wrote: »
    Kilkenny, dont lift that weight right away,start off at 28kgs or so and try that for a while then move up 2 30kgs and so on,34kgs is heavy if you have only lifted it once,but like everything you have to work yourself up to the weight,so start low and you will be suprised that the 34kgs is not that bad. hope this helps,have you been called for you Physical??
    hay megranny, thanks for the advice no havnt been called yet but was talking to a nice man yesterday that says they hope to get some done next month so starting to get a bit nervous as i ment to do it in march but had to pass on it in number 19 now and he also said that you might only get 3 weeks notice so may go and live in the gym

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cmc2009

kilkennny wrote: »
    hay megranny, thanks for the advice no havnt been called yet but was talking to a nice man yesterday that says they hope to get some done next month so starting to get a bit nervous as i ment to do it in march but had to pass on it in number 19 now and he also said that you might only get 3 weeks notice so may go and live in the gym

which panel are you on 07 r 08

recruit po wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that info lad i was goin to ring them this morn but that answers my question!90 isnt a whole pile hopefully im at athe right side of the 90!you 08 guys might not have that long a wait at all esp if they are taking in 40 a time from now on.I thought the classes were 25 a go so they must have increased capacity??it could turn out that some of the 08 panel get in as quick as some of the 07 panel who have been waiting 2.5years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 megranny

Scatman81 wrote: »
    Hey guys is there any people on the 2007 panel who havent recieved the call to start on the 24th of aug??please dont leave me here with the 2008 guys!!:D:D
    Scatman i didn get the call and im from 07 so dont worry i wont let them 08s bully ya:D:D:D, only messing 08s:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hotter

I did the exam in 01 and got called to start training in 07 so be prepared for a long wait but I don't think you will have to wait as long as that due to retirements

cmc2009 wrote: »
    which panel are you on 07 r 08
    hay i am 07 too so theres a few of us left still.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katb42

cmc2009 wrote: »
    has anyone who got the phone call on friday recived the letter today.

I got the call on Friday but did not get the letter today, I am hoping that I get it tomorrow as we have to reply by the 14th August to confirm that we will start training.

katb42 wrote: »
    I got the call on Friday but did not get the letter today, I am hoping that I get it tomorrow as we have to reply by the 14th August to confirm that we will start training.
    katb42 hope you get the letter tomorrow hate the waiting for the postman part. How did you find the physical and the weights.

Hi thanks very much, hopefully tomorrow will be the end of all the waiting around. I found the weights a bit hard when I first started off but I kept practicing and towards the end I didn't find it too difficult. My arms and shoulders were sore for the first two weeks and after that they were ok. The hardest bit was the shuttle runs. I was barely within the time limit when I was training but on the day I just about passed it. How are you getting on? Have you been called to do the PCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Anyone who got the call on fridayfor the start date of the 24ty of august should get their letter tomorrow. I was on to them today an they told me to hand in my notice to my current employer. Just remember to have them in by friday. Use swift post or if all comes to all drop it up yourself!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 crusher20

Ya was just talkin to them myself and all 40 of us are definitly goin to wheatfield prison

• Advertisement

If we get the letter tomorrow and post it back straight away it should get there in time. yeah?

obviously training first in port laoise?

dont panic about the letter,i was told it could even be friday before it arrives

Just post it by swift post. i think thats a 24 hour service.

yep port laoise first

crusher20 wrote: »
    dont panic about the letter,i was told it could even be friday before it arrives

The woman on the phone told me that we had to reply by the 14th or our place would be gone. :confused:

I was also told this. Lads and ladies listen. We all spent too long waiting for this. Lets all get these forms in for friday.

i thought the same until they told me there was a delay in getting them out

agreed garryd

• Advertisement

Yes definitely as soon as I get my letter I am posting it back straight away! Have you's still been working on your fitness? Apart from the odd training session for football I have not done a thing since I did my physical in March so Im kinda worried about that. Do you's know if the initial nine weeks training is very physical?

Advertisement