Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

So does ayone know if being convicted of a road traffic offence will come against me being a recruit prison officer? It asks me to confirm that i have never been convicted in a court of law of any offence. This is something im fairly sure i have already stated. Thats the problem with such a long recruitment...... Help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 katb42

I'm sure that it would have came up through your security check and they still accepted you as a recruit. You should ring the IPS and ask them what you should do because I dont think that you should sign the form to say that you have no convictions, as if they catch you out on a lie they might terminate your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

All depends on what the conviction was for garyd. Was it a serious offence, most rta offences are only simple things and i have never heard of it effecting someone...... Unless its a serious rta offence, then you'll probably be in bother alright.

Is driving with no insurance a serious offence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

I would imagine they are only interested if you were given a custodial sentence. Did you just get a fine/ban?

I would ring the IPS and just run it by them, the last thing you want is after all the waiting for something like this to cause hassle on your form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

In most peoples eyes yes.
    But it all depends on what type of conviction you got... was it probation act or a fine.

Id say if your honest with ips then you should be ok, then again you could take a risk and say nothing. But only you can make that decision.

If your really worried talk to a solicitor, they'll be able to advice you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 megranny

hey all,did anybody from the 07 group get the phone call today about the fitness test at the end of aug??? anybody who is starting training got anytips for us doing the fitness test????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

megranny wrote: »
    hey all,did anybody from the 07 group get the phone call today about the fitness test at the end of aug??? anybody who is starting training got anytips for us doing the fitness test????
    I dont understand,i thought the 07 competition was complete.Are there still candidates from 07 waiting on tests????:confused:

jason99 wrote: »
    I dont understand,i thought the 07 competition was complete.Are there still candidates from 07 waiting on tests????:confused:
    there are still some of us left from 07,i dont think there are many of us left,but im not sure.from the call i got today,they dont know when we will be taken in if we pass the fitness test,but they want this done so when they get the go ahead they can just ring us to start training. are you 08??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

there are still some of us left from 07,i dont think there are many of us left,but im not sure.from the call i got today,they dont know when we will be taken in if we pass the fitness test,but they want this done so when they get the go ahead they can just ring us to start training. are you 08??

Ye,i'm 08.still waiting on interview.Are you part of the panel of 130.
    Best of luck with your fitness test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 kilkennny

hay megranny,
    ya i got the phone call today to now im bricking it. ive been doing the shuttle runs and i am between 3 and 4 seconds over time cant seem to get below 3 30, im also wondering do you do the runs as part of a group or on your own. im the 07 to incase you wondered.

kilkennny wrote: »
    hay megranny,
    ya i got the phone call today to now im bricking it. ive been doing the shuttle runs and i am between 3 and 4 seconds over time cant seem to get below 3 30, im also wondering do you do the runs as part of a group or on your own. im the 07 to incase you wondered.
    Hey kilkennny,you will be fine on the day,hopefully we are in groups doing the shuttles,cos you will push yourself that bit more,i haven even done the shuttles yet,i didn think we would be called so quick,il start tomoro and see how i get on,like you im bricking it but fingers crossed we will all be ok on the day.Im sure we will all push each other along for the shuttle runs and anything else we have to do.im getting a little excited too kilkennny thou,we are a step closer,its been a LONG road!!

jason99 wrote: »
    Ye,i'm 08.still waiting on interview.Are you part of the panel of 130.
    Best of luck with your fitness test.
    cheers,is that how many of us 07s are left?? god didn think there was that many,

Hey kilkennny,you will be fine on the day,hopefully we are in groups doing the shuttles,cos you will push yourself that bit more,i haven even done the shuttles yet,i didn think we would be called so quick,il start tomoro and see how i get on,like you im bricking it but fingers crossed we will all be ok on the day.Im sure we will all push each other along for the shuttle runs and anything else we have to do.im getting a little excited too kilkennny thou,we are a step closer,its been a LONG road!!
    ya i was hoping that we would be doing it as part of a group maybe some one that has done it will fill us in. the shuttle runs are a killer maybe your very fit. but defo start doing them they knock the stuffing outa you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cmc2009

what age are we peoples starting on monday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

cheers,is that how many of us 07s are left?? god didn think there was that many,
    Its 130 minus the 40 that start on mon so another poster says which makes it 90.just thinking there 9 weeks from the 24th (when the next class starts) has them finishing training the 26th of Oct.Is there time for another class before xmas?9 weeks from then makes it the 28th of dec so me thinks no:(

Hi all, got the letter about the pct today, Just wondering do you do the shuttle runs as part of a group or on your own. did any one else the that letter today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 crusher20

Anybody else nervous about monday or is it just me?????

Rang IPS hr and they said not to worry about the court thing. All is cool1!!!! And yes i am also bricking it about monday! Any way dont think ill be on here over the weekend again so ill be hoping to see ye all on Monday. Good luck to us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

The annual prison report is out, worth checking out the human resource pages, 50-51, gives an idea of numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Just been on to the IPS and the guy said that they have about 100 left from the 2007 panel and that if they get the go ahead to proceed with another class this year it is likely that they would break into the 2008 panel for candidates!!!
    He said at the moment that things are all up in the air and that anything could happen very quickly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

Has anyone that started on Monday been on yet? Just wondering what they think of the training and if they'd any news for the rest of us? :D

gar23 wrote: »
    I didn get to start till wednesday.two people didn turn up so i got a phone call on monday asking if i could come down on wednesday.it was bit of rush but was well worth it.there is talk that their trying to get another group down in next few weeks.if they dont bring another group down before christmas then they def will soon after cause their opening the new wing in wheatfield.so just keep ringing the prison service.if i hear anything il get back on an let yous know

Gar23 that is brill good on yeah,id say you were a happy man when that phone rang!!! There are some of us down there tomoro doing the PCT,when did you do your PCT?did you wait long then to be called?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

stupid question whats the number of the ips i tried the website number c,ant get through. cheers

the rest of the 07 panel will be processed within the next 2 weeks. Rang them yesterday thats what i was told. So anyone like me waiting for clearance ,pct etc. We will know latest next week. obviously they want to clear 07 and get moving on the 08 panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

More out of interest than necessity, does anyone know any of the following

Do the IPS investigate your medical history re; your GP etc

Is the background check as thorough as that for Gardai

Is there any sense of achievement as a PO, is it a stress inducing mess or both

Thanks

d,ont think they are as tough as guards think its immediate family. the guards is all your relations as well as family. as for gp take it because of the medical we had they would,nt be to interested .its a check to see are you a security risk if you were a prison officer.

how did people get on monday regards their fitness test.

tommy57 wrote: »
    how did people get on monday regards their fitness test.

Hey tommy57 fitness test was tough i was in the first group and every one passed i think they was 10 or 12 in the group not sure how the 2nd group got on,hopefully they all passed too. Start doing the 40 shuttles cos they are a bloody killer and they are at the end of the test.

• Advertisement

fair play.well done everyone so.

Advertisement