Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

360ts wrote: »
    I rang today and I'm in on Wed 3rd Feb.

Anyone else?

Ya im on that day aswell. This is my second run at it, last time around i failed the long sprint by 4 seconds and was refused .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

Good to know someone else will be there! I thought I was after being given the wrong date.

Is the interview tough? Do they really grill you?

Good to know someone else will be there! I thought I was after being given the wrong date.

Is the interview tough? Do they really grill you?

Naw not really, its mainly based around explaining your answers and elaborating on them, (they ones you give in the email)

You do an exercise in the morning in a classroom. Cant remember too much about it but it wasnt hard.

Then you are put in a group of about 5/6 and ye must discuss a situation and try and give plausable solutions, you are being watched during this to see your communication skills.

Them your interview is infront of 3 people on a panel, a public jobs rep, a govenor from a prison and one other. 1 person usually asks the questions and after your answer they others may ask a question based on your answer, it lasted 15mins the time i did it.

Be very careful what your answers are that you send in your email, and keep the answers for reference b4 the actual day of interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Crocop legend

theboss80 wrote: »
    Naw not really, its mainly based around explaining your answers and elaborating on them, (they ones you give in the email)

You do an exercise in the morning in a classroom. Cant remember too much about it but it wasnt hard.

Then you are put in a group of about 5/6 and ye must discuss a situation and try and give plausable solutions, you are being watched during this to see your communication skills.

Them your interview is infront of 3 people on a panel, a public jobs rep, a govenor from a prison and one other. 1 person usually asks the questions and after your answer they others may ask a question based on your answer, it lasted 15mins the time i did it.

Be very careful what your answers are that you send in your email, and keep the answers for reference b4 the actual day of interview.
    Good advice mate.Got the same from my mates.The 3 ppl doing the interview is a governor,a public jobs rep and a psychologist/psychiatrist.Look them straight in the eye when answering and be confident is the extra advice given to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 211002

Best of luck to all. Lot of changes happening in the job hopefully for the better

• Advertisement

Thanks Boss80!

Anyone else wear glasses? The only thing really bugging me is going through all this and then failing the eyetest.

You have to have 6/36 (20/120) vision unaided? I suppose I should go to my opticians for the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SETANTA05

Anyone else wear glasses? The only thing really bugging me is going through all this and then failing the eyetest.

You have to have 6/36 (20/120) vision unaided? I suppose I should go to my opticians for the answer.

Afaik, eyesight isnt an issue. many prison officers have glasses but im sure contacts would be better.

i got my letter yesterday so called this morning and am in on thursday the 11th feb.
    just as well cos im in portugal the week before and only get back on the wednesday :)
    excellent timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

its the 2nd or 3rd line down so not to bad. also you have laser eye surgery if you fail the eye test i think you get few months to sort it out. just prepare for your interview d,ont be stressing over your eyes .good luck.

Thanks setanta05 and tommy57. I went for an eye test today anyway. Just to check!
    I can just make out the 6/36 line with both eyes uncorrected, but I have to squint. My eyesight is fairly bad approx -5.00 in both eyes. The optician said give it a go but don't hold my breath.

Eyesight is perfect with glasses/lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 limerickguy

how do you download/type the pdf form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Does anyone know what the height/weight guidelines are for the medical. I cant seem to find them anywhere??

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the height/weight guidelines are for the medical. I cant seem to find them anywhere??

Never heard anything about height but if your BMI (Body Mass Index) is over 30 you will need to undergo a pre-physical test. Its called a chester step test, u cant find details online. u can pm me if you need more details. Been through the process before.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 spursfan79

Great post lads, been following it for a while now! Im in for an interview on fri the 5th, anyone else?? also is there anyone with an inside track as to how long you could be before called for medical etc up until you get the shout for trainin. I have read about guys waitin over a year to get called for trainin???how long after is it the interview to say if you were successful?? cheers and good luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Never heard anything about height but if your BMI (Body Mass Index) is over 30 you will need to undergo a pre-physical test. Its called a chester step test, u cant find details online. u can pm me if you need more details. Been through the process before.

Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 potatohead

Afternoon lads,
    Sent in my application yesterday and am wondering whether or not to give my previous employers a heads up that they might be getting a shout from public jobs or the service. Will they be contacting previous employers for references do u think??????:confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

Hi lads, anyone still have a copy of application form?, if so would anyone be interested in sending a copy to me either through email or post?
    Im not goina be called for a while yet but now that i know its moving would like to prepare. your help would be greatly appreciated

THANKS ALL

potatohead wrote: »
    Afternoon lads,
    Sent in my application yesterday and am wondering whether or not to give my previous employers a heads up that they might be getting a shout from public jobs or the service. Will they be contacting previous employers for references do u think??????:confused:?

didnt happen last time i applied

Hi lads, anyone still have a copy of application form?, if so would anyone be interested in sending a copy to me either through email or post?
    Im not goina be called for a while yet but now that i know its moving would like to prepare. your help would be greatly appreciated

THANKS ALL

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/en/campaign/inprogress.do

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

CHEERS theboss80

Didn't relise it was on publicjobs, thought only people being called for interview were sent one!

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 potatohead

didnt happen last time i applied
    cheers boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Funny application form, didnt necessarily seek references nor did it give you a chance to present any info about yourself outside of 2nd/3rd level education. I found myself being a little creative with the essays to mention skills/training i deemed relevant. Hard to know what they are looking for.

Best of luck to all, anyone get any updates, are we looking at a group of 80 between the two campaigns. Is that more than the normal compliment for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I take it those who are being called for interview in Feb have to have the supplimentry application form in by the 24th?

Otherwise, I is screwed..

I'd imagine only the people who got a letter to attend for an interview had to submit the Supplementary Application Form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Garfieldd

I did the interview then did the physical test & passed in the summer of 09. I got letter saying I was on the panel but I have heard nothing since then. Just wondering if anyone would have any idea how much longer you have top wait after doing everything required or what way they pick people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

@ Garrfield.

TBH you could be waiting anything up to 2 years!!!
    The recent recruitment/promotion embargo slowed things right up.
    Did they give you the number that you got on the panel? Don't be afraid to ring them up and ask - they're actually quite obliging.

Edit; Just had a quick read back through this topic. I didn't realise that they were interviewing at the moment. Ring them straight away to find out where you stand. If they told you already that you're on a panel then you should have been called or be close to being called. Once the interviews etc are over they usually begin training fairly fast in groups of 20 but it can stretch out for 18-24 months by the time they go through the live panels. As I said, ring them straight away. Like now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Garfieldd

Thanks for the information. I will give them a ring. Its a hell of a wait from sitting the first test but I heard from people I know who have being in it years that its worth it.

Interview Tips for anybody that's interested;

It's a structured interview -- i.e you already have the answers!!
    They'll give you back a copy of the original form you sent off with examples of when you did this,that or the other. They'll ask you to elaborate on some of the examples and may ask you one or two simple questions on your answers..e.g. "How did you feel about that?".. "What did you learn from doing that?"

Have a second example ready for each topic. They almost def will ask you to give another example of one of them. Involve others in your answers, promoting teamwork so that it's not just all Me,me, me...

Look back at the application forms and look for key words relating to the job. That's all they want and will stop asking questions once they hear those words!! Stuff like 'observation skills' , 'communication skills', 'temperament'. Work those words into your answers and your halfway there. Have a look at your forms now and the words I'm talking about will jump out at you.

You are not going to change the world regardless of how much bull you talk or how many notions you have - and they know it. They've all been through the mill and know the story. It's very easy to spot the BS. Be relaxed and confident without being cocky. The interviewers are generally speaking quite a friendly bunch and they're there to see what you're like, not to meet your imaginary friend or your alter-ego. If you name-drop a serving Officer (and don't be afraid to), make sure that you actually know him - chances are that they'll know him too!!!

If they use the group discussion scenario, don't be the guy that dominates the group with a loud voice. Don't speak for the sake of speaking. Absorb the 'question' then read it again. Once more, look for keywords and don't be afraid to use them. This is actually the aforementioned teamwork exercise and not just a 'look how dominant I am' exercise. Observe, assess and act (speak).

Good luck to all of you. PM if you want any more questions answered.

Garfieldd wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. I will give them a ring. Its a hell of a wait from sitting the first test but I heard from people I know who have being in it years that its worth it.

It is after a few years. I'd hate to be starting now under the new terms and conditions but it's grand once you get over the 'Recruit' years.

• Advertisement

Thanks twowheelsonly! Very informative.

Advertisement