Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Garfieldd

Got the call & Im starting in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Congrats Garfieldd. Did they give you an exact date or month for when you will begin. I have my interview next week

End of Feb or start of March. I got told over the phone that my start date was on its way in the post

Garfieldd wrote: »
    End of Feb or start of March. I got told over the phone that my start date was on its way in the post

Fair play. I'd say your glad the wait is finally over. Do you know if it is only people from the 2007 competition or are they rushing people from the 2008 competition aswell?

Couldnt tell you. There is good few retiring. I was waiting 2 & half years from sitting the 1st test out in Croke Park. Nearly a year from the fitness test till now.

• Advertisement

That is some wait alright. Its been over a year since I sat the appitude test and came in the top 20. Congrats again. Hopefully i'm successful and not waiting another year

Top 20 will stand to you when you get past the fitness test. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

twowheelsonly:

Thanks for the advice, very hard to know what to expect from these interviews as you hear all sorts of stories,

But finaly this seems like sound advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

It is after a few years. I'd hate to be starting now under the new terms and conditions but it's grand once you get over the 'Recruit' years.

That's the best piece of advice i've seen in this whole thread. I dont mean to pee on anyone's parade but i would strongly advise people to think through their decision to accept the job if offered, in fact i would go as far as to say that anyone with a family should seriously reconsider.

The job conditions for new recruits are nowhere close to where they were even a few years ago. Less money and benefits for more hours worked mean serious pressure on relationships due to financial issues and time away from home.
    I personally know of 17 new recruits working in a certain prison in Dublin who are also claiming Family Income Support (F.I.S.) to supplement their wages. They are under serious financial pressure. This adds stress to anyone's home life but combined with commuting times and fuel costs, or rent for a house in Dublin plus pressures of a third level course and the free time that itself eats up not to mention the difficulty in applying oneself academically for the first time in what might be decades for some. Add all this to the pressures of starting a new job then throw in the demands of working in this particular environment, its certainly not for everyone.

Obviously if you are on welfare at the moment then it's pretty much a no-brainer and everyone's situation is different, but if you already have a job, particularly close to family then i would urge you to strongly think before making a decision. If anyone requires any further advice then please feel free to pm me, it mightn't be what you want to hear but i promise it will be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Best of luck all, see you on the other side.

May the best wexfjord win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

Can anyone tell me how long it will be before i'm told whether I passed the interview or not I'm doing it tomorro just curious to see how long i'll have to wait for the good or indeed bad news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Can anyone tell me how long it will be before i'm told whether I passed the interview or not I'm doing it tomorro just curious to see how long i'll have to wait for the good or indeed bad news?

Results are due out in mid march according to PAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

I did mine yesterday. We were told it would be mid-march

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    I did mine yesterday. We were told it would be mid-march

Cheers, How was it?? were you in the act interview long??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Cheers, How was it?? were you in the act interview long??

It was fine. The actual interview was 35 min

Can't believe we have to wait till the middle of march to get the results for the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    It was fine. The actual interview was 35 min
    I have my interview next week. Any pointers you can give me from sitting yours? What kind of questions were asked? Did you have to give more examples on the situations you wrote on?

lavman wrote: »
    I have my interview next week. Any pointers you can give me from sitting yours? What kind of questions were asked? Did you have to give more examples on the situations you wrote on?

I doubt youre going to get an answer to any of the above apart from the fact that you will always be asked to give an extra example on one of the four areas(to the best of my knowledge anyway)

What day are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Can't believe we have to wait till the middle of march to get the results for the interview.

That's not excessive in fairness.
    Interviews are on now, (Some have been put back a week apparently), Probably will go on for most of the month of Feb. A couple of weeks then to sort them and grade them doesn't seem too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Best of luck to everyone:)
    Hope we all make it.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 youngsam

Got a letter yesterday. Interview on 24th of Feb. Was 121 on panel.

Congrats youngsam. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 candidate09

Does anybody know exactly how many are been interviewed and how many might be recruited from this?Also, any clues on when people might be starting and how many would go in for training in the first group?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I have my interview on tuesday 23rd..

Looking forward to it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

Had my interview yesterday. Went alright I think :confused:

Follow twowheelsonly's advice a few pages back and that should help.

Thanks again twowheels!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 theirishlad

done the interview,.does anyone know the break down of the scores you need to get.

done the interview,.does anyone know the break down of the scores you need to get.

I think its forty per cent across the board.

You have much hassle with the dvd, its the one aspect i'm unsure of as you cant really prepare for it. Did you manage to get all the required info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rpoireland

Hi all.
    I had my interview last monday. Can anyone remember the name of the public appointments service lad that came out and called you in for interview. I was on board 1.
    I would appreciate it if anyone could pm me his name.
    Best of luck to all who are going through the process!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 theirishlad

yea the dvd was the hardest of the lot,as you aint sure what to write in it.Didnt get all the info down so im unsure how it went.wrote what happened tho.hard to know what exactly they were looking for???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

any one from 07 get anymore info about the next class starting soon??

Advertisement