Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

:confused: tough one today, thanks to anyone who posted with helpful suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 spursfan79

I was in there last week myself...went ok i think. I thought the report writing was tricky enough. Interview was ok once i relaxed a bit. Like the thread up above, im wondering exactly how many left from 07 campaign. I know there is a class starting in March, so will that be all 07 campaigners, i presume so!
    Is there many of 07 lads still waiting on word on this thread.....it might give us 08 lads an idea of when we might really get the shout, jasus i might not get it buy got to be positive......:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

hello spursfan. im from the 07 campaign. its hard to know how many are left prob just enough for another class. i know a few people are waiting on clearance to come back. its a long process. if the 08 crew are only getting the interview results in march i doubt they will be in the next class.

several previous posts here indicate that there are 40 or so left from 07, cant understand the ones still waitng on clearance, they may get left behind! its starting to look like a series of classes running consecutively and allowing that they historically recruit about 1/3 of interviewees there may be 80 or so taken from this months crop of 240. whether there is a requirement(approval) for that many is a different story but you'd imagine that they would interview at least a sufficient quantity to meet this years recruitment needs.

Based on those figures youre looking at a good 120 being recruited and that wont even come close to the numbers who have and will retire. In reality, they must at least retain recent staffing levels which means recruitment this year will exceed 120, didnt see that in the budget. savings will have to be made elsewhere.

well wexford if you cant understand it, i certainly cant know why it has taken so long for our clearance. id rather know i hadnt got the job than waiting this long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Hey bano12,
    Do you have family living abroad who you included on you clearance form?
    That usually holds things up for lads. Hopefully you get a call to rush you through the fitness for march or they are planning a new group to be called in may / june and you'll be included in that one.

hey electrician yes our family has lived abroad and a few locations in Ireland so thats prob what is holding things up but it shouldnt take this long.. if i knew what the story was i could plan better for coming year eg. holidays and other jobs!

bano12 wrote: »
    well wexford if you cant understand it, i certainly cant know why it has taken so long for our clearance. id rather know i hadnt got the job than waiting this long.

Just to clarify, I wasnt advocating leaving you behind. You've gone further than i have at this stage, so fair play and best of luck with it.

Family situation is most likely the reason for your delay, just a waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

(iii) Have obtained:
    (a) a minimum grade of D3 at Ordinary Level in five subjects in the Leaving Certificate Established examination or Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme. A grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at Ordinary Level in English and/or Irish must be included in the five required subjects.

The wording to this is very confusing(well to me anyway!!!!),DO YOU NEED IRISH or not,I'm supposed to have my application form filled in by sunday(14th) with my interview due on the 1st of March.i'm thinking you don't need it but just want to make sure

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

Can anyone shed some light of the whole security clearence thing
    what family members are backround checked? what are they(ips) looking for?
    and do they check references from your previous employers?
    I know theres a general delay throughout the whole process but the security clearence seems to hold back some candidates for ages,

any help appreciated

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

They check if you or any close family members have a criminal record, association/membership of any organised crime gangs/subversive elements (IRA, INLA etc). Political activism as regards Sinn Fein aswell I'd say.

Redhotdevil: It just means you have to have passed either English or Irish in the Leaving Cert (or equivalent) and you have to include that subject as one of the five you have to list.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

Thanks 360's

What about employers?, i know of atleast one previous employer who wouldn't be very happy about giving me a good reference, i didn't rob the place or anything, just a personality clash, do they check referee's or is it the security clearence they need/want?.
    I am not a member or supporter of any of the above never have and either has my family so think i am ok there!

Thanks again for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

thanks for the info 360ts

looking forward to the interview now, and then we'll take it from there.

When are these interviews finishing up. Initially it was 120 people over 2 weeks, then 240 over four weeks. Going into week 5 in march would suggest another group. any ideas.

edit, just came across info to suggest there are no interviews next week, this seems to make sense. can anyone confirm one way or other.

po candidate: I think there was a post a few pages back by theboss80 saying he had gone for this before and his references for previous employers weren't checked, have a look for it.

wexfjord: I was talking to someone in the service. They said there is a class of ~30 starting in March. They will need to fill about 120 places in total this year. They said that they will need to interview approx 400 to get the 120 they want. Don't know if all those interviews will happen now or be staggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Couple of quick questions

When the results of the interviews are know, are those who passed given a number representing their position similar to the numbers after stage 1??

Does the garda clearance come before or after the PCT or is it not dependant??

to question one i believe the answer is yes, and your number on this panel will decrease as recruitment progresses.

not sure about question two but you'd presume that given how long it takes for clearance, it should be initiated asap after passing interview stage. in saying that its not beyond the realms of possibility that it cant begin till you've passed all other stages.

a bit like the chicken and the egg, but i'm sure someone will have an answer to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

After all the waiting i sat my interview and i think i've messed it up. The group exercise went wrong on me. The report writing don't think i wrote enough. The interview itself i think went fairly ok. On that basis do i have any hope???? Good news for everyone else though. One contender less!!!!!!!!!!

how did you do wrong on the group exercise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

bano12 wrote: »
    how did you do wrong on the group exercise?
    I had it in my head what i wanted to say but it didn't come out the way i wanted. kind of sat back a bit as well. it's amazing when you've done it you start thinking of all you could have said and how you would have done it different. have you sat yours yet?

yeah i did mine two yrs ago!! prob the worst thing you did was sit back but its also bad to talk too much.. as long as you got your point across you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 candidate09

does anybody know exactly how many people are being interviewed?is it 120 or the first 240?

Over the last two weeks the first 120 were interviewed.
    They are starting interviews next monday for the next 120

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey I have my interview for next Tuesday but im wondering how many people are actually being interviewed . I know 240 have been called but im sure there are some people who will not be going to it , the fact that the second group got called so quickly makes me think there may be quiet a few from the first group that didn t come .

Also does anyone know what happens after the interview if you get through?? I mean do you then go on a panel like the fire brigade or do you just wait to be called ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Mick990 wrote: »
    Hey I have my interview for next Tuesday but im wondering how many people are actually being interviewed . I know 240 have been called but im sure there are some people who will not be going to it , the fact that the second group got called so quickly makes me think there may be quiet a few from the first group that didn t come .

Also does anyone know what happens after the interview if you get through?? I mean do you then go on a panel like the fire brigade or do you just wait to be called ?

I had my interview on the first day and 2 guys who had obviously filled in the supplementary application form didnt show up.

Its been a year and a half nearly since this process started, alot of things change in that time. I would say alot of people either were not interested anymore, left the country or are happy in their current job

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pmcb_aura

Hi Folks

I heard a rumour that the Prison Service will be looking for a minimum of 120 new officers this year just wondering if anyone else heard this?

That figure has already been extrapolated using historical statistical data in conjunction with current numbers being interviewed, numbers remaining from most recent campaign in 07 and projected minimum staffing levels required to provide a safe service.

Hi all, Does anyone have a copy of a blank security clearance form or can you tell me where I can find one.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

"Hi all, Does anyone have a copy of a blank security clearance form or can you tell me where I can find one.
    Thanks "

Dont have the IPS one but assuming that its the standard format form that goes to the central vetting unit, you should be able to get an almost identical form from any local employer who uses central vetting such as a creche etc.

IPS one may be more detailed regarding your family, friends, criminal associates etc? If you do lay hands on one you might pass it on, I'd be interested seeing whats involved.

Advertisement