Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

I'm sorry i logged on here now! I'm stuck at work and won't find out til this evening.:mad::mad::mad:

Well done to all who go through and my sincere comiserations to all who didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

portumna wrote: »
    I'm sorry i logged on here now! I'm stuck at work and won't find out til this evening.:mad::mad::mad:

Well done to all who go through and my sincere comiserations to all who didn't.

Im the exact same as you mate, its a killer isn't it

Im the exact same as you mate, its a killer isn't it

I'm tempted to go home sick just to see if they're there. I wasn't nervous about them until i say that people got them and now i'm bricking it!

I'm tempted to go home sick just to see if they're there. I wasn't nervous about them until i say that people got them and now i'm bricking it!

I saw the 1st post at 9.30 dis morning it i'm bricking it all day ha, Ive a "doctors appoinment" at 4.30 So i have to leave at 4 instead of 6 haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭360ts

Didn't do this time.
    Had half a feeling I ballsed up the report writing and I've gone through the interview about a million times in my head thinking "why did I say that?" or "why didn't I say that?".

Still at least I know now. Feel like a weight has been lifted. I have one or two other things on the boil anyway, so maybe now I can concentrate on them.

Thanks to everyone on the thread who gave info or opinions, it's been a long journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

TO all of you who got their letters today, when did you guys do your interview, I did mine on the 23rd of Feb and have not got a letter yet..I'm hoping it will arrive tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

LoanShark wrote: »
    TO all of you who got their letters today, when did you guys do your interview, I did mine on the 23rd of Feb and have not got a letter yet..I'm hoping it will arrive tomorrow!!

Hey Loanshark i did my interview that day as well and got my letter today so you should get it soon enough .

Best of luck bro

Opened the letter lads, placed 22, over the moon is putting it mildly:).

Did everyone that passed get an application form for security clearence or was it just down to a certain number??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 spursfan79

im in the 120's and got the security forms too so id say we all did. i think what hotter was saying a few posts ago is fairly right....a lot of retirements so things might go quicker than we think, lets hope so:confused:

cheers, hope your rite plus 30 PO got promoted recently so hopefully certain number of them will be replaced you'd imagine anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eibp

lads, theres loads of different numbers being thrown about.Ive heard figures between 80 and 300 jobs going.I dont even think the IPS know themselves yet.its a pain in the a%$e!Im glad to be 74th on the list but opening the letter felt like an anticlimax.It more or less says well done but we'll be in touch if we need you.That tells me fcuk all really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Just over the 100 mark, well done folks and hard luck to fallen comrades. Thanks to all who posted with helpful info. We're not over the line yet, but I think I can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

hi all

well done to all who passed, its been a long wait(although i haven't been called for interview yet). For those who haven't passed hard luck, don't give up, try again when ever it comes around,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Congrats to all, if you need any information or help about what training is like, drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Congratulations to all who placed on the panel. They won't tell you you've got the job at this stage. That letter is to tell you the results of the competition and if and where you placed. They will call a certain number for medical and for fitness tests to have them ready to go if and when the classes are sanctioned by finance. In this climate nobody really knows whats happening and a lot of retirements aren't being immediately replaced. Nowhere near the 80 - 300 recruits has been mentioned at all . I do know that there were a number of people who didn't turn up for the last recruit class a couple of weeks ago .
    Now a bit of a wake up call.....there are a number of recruits in the process of applying for FIS ( Family Income Supplement) at the moment. . . Give it a LOT of thought before Joining up if you get an offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eibp

Im on the dole at the moment so I dont have many other options.Its better than 196 euro per week!

Im sure that when the economy eventually recovers it will probably be a relatively well paid job again.Banks will give you a mortgage too id say.

When you say give it a lot of consideration are you implying its not worth the money?Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

All I'm saying is that you should give it the height of scrutiny before you commit to joining up. If you are leaving a job ..... make sure you are making the right choice ....and if not , then be prepared to stick by your decision....Good luck to all successful .

I arrived home yesterday after worrying about the results all afternoon at work to find no letter. No letter again this morning. Rang PAS and was told that it was sent out to my old address even though i changed it online and made sure it was changed with them when i went for interview. They then said they would reissue to my new address but could not give results over the phone. So another couple of days worry for me!

Just got a phone call from the PAS (10 mins after i was talking to 1 of them) to say that my results could not be issued because they are waiting for an official department of education copy of my leaving cert results. I asked if i hadn't rang about this how would i have known and was told that they would have contacted me in due course.

Any1 who didn't recieve their results i would advise to contact PAS immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nichola seaver

My boyfriend just started his training with irish prison service. the procedure is vey long. he started his appitude test over two yrs ago, did all the bits required n got accepted, then he got a letter sayin there was a hold on recruits due to the budget, he finally got called in jan 2010 and is traiining in portlaois for 13 weeks, all im sayin is make sure u have a back up job until your called as it is a lengthly process .any other questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 nichola seaver

also the offices are really bad at keeping you posted on things, my boyfriend never knew where he stood n what was going on as they didnt know themselves. as a trainee ul be on 450 for the 1st yr. and if u do overtime it will bounce that up. good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

Got my letter yesterday, Dont want to say the exact place i came but came within the first 10 places. Very chuffed i am. Word has it (inside knowlege) they will be taking 40 people very soon to start, that is 40 people who pass stage 3. As soon as they receive the security forms back, they will be calling for the 3rd stage. Its now out of the Public service appointments hands. Its in the hands of the IPS now from this stage on. But IPS has the go ahead to start recruiting, just dont have an exact figure yet on how many they are allowed to take on. So get your trainers on and start getting fit guys...to pass the next stage!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

also the offices are really bad at keeping you posted on things, my boyfriend never knew where he stood n what was going on as they didnt know themselves. as a trainee ul be on 450 for the 1st yr. and if u do overtime it will bounce that up. good luck.

Is that 450 before or after tax and levies etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

currently recruits are on about 405e a week, thats after levies, health insurance etc. etc. But i heard that the last group that got taken in have started on a lower wage and are only getting 350e a week!! New pay scale introduced to new recruits.

PAS rang me back again and told me that they're going to fax the copy of my leaving results from the school to the state exams commission and get them to verify them.

That saves me a long drive tomorrow to collect them and deliver them to PAS!

PAS rang me back again and told me that they're going to fax the copy of my leaving results from the school to the state exams commission and get them to verify them.

That saves me a long drive tomorrow to collect them and deliver them to PAS!

Thats pretty cool. Hopefully you wont have much longer to wait

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Thats pretty cool. Hopefully you wont have much longer to wait

Hopefully them needing an official copy of my results is a good sign. If i didn't make the grade in the interview they surely wouldn't need them! But i'll try not get my hopes too high!

Hopefully them needing an official copy of my results is a good sign. If i didn't make the grade in the interview they surely wouldn't need them! But i'll try not get my hopes too high!

TBH mate there is no way they go to any trouble if you didnt make the grade. I think its more a case of where you are on the list rather than if you actually passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

My results are being held up because of educational qualifications too.

They are looking into it too, So I have to sit tight until I hear word back..

But I too don't think they'd be going into this much bother with my results unless the light at the end of the tunnel is looking good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 spursfan79

user1999 wrote: »
    currently recruits are on about 405e a week, thats after levies, health insurance etc. etc. But i heard that the last group that got taken in have started on a lower wage and are only getting 350e a week!! New pay scale introduced to new recruits.
    350 a week, are you sure, that cant be right, could it!!!!money was never a motivating factor for me but jasus i have bills like everyone..

Advertisement