Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

spursfan79 wrote: »
    350 a week, are you sure, that cant be right, could it!!!!money was never a motivating factor for me but jasus i have bills like everyone..

I heard this from a 2nd year recruit who was speaking to a new recruit. Aparently they we're given a new contract which had new pay scales on it for new recruits which states that the starting pay is 19,000e starting salary.
    But i have since spoken to an officer higher up the food chain, and they said what ever the salary was advertised at the time of the campaign, they have to give that salary, which would mean it would be the 25,000e salary.
    Im the same, the salary isnt an issue for me, just want the job security more than anything else. A career with a ladder!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 spursfan79

user1999 wrote: »
    I heard this from a 2nd year recruit who was speaking to a new recruit. Aparently they we're given a new contract which had new pay scales on it for new recruits which states that the starting pay is 19,000e starting salary.
    But i have since spoken to an officer higher up the food chain, and they said what ever the salary was advertised at the time of the campaign, they have to give that salary, which would mean it would be the 25,000e salary.
    Im the same, the salary isnt an issue for me, just want the job security more than anything else. A career with a ladder!!!
    when they rang about the interview the fella did say to me on the phone that there was a 5% cut in the salary and i didnt think about it then. I still want this job but it does make you stop and think! thanks for that anyway, someone here might clarify this for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

advertised on the intial campaign that it was starting on about 25k , double checked when got the call for the interview and was told still stands less the 5%, if I remember correctly you can still get overtime on top of that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

i know they have cut down on the overtime but i think your allowede to do up to like 360 additional hours, plus operational allowance and maybe rent allowance...also when you work weekends and nights you'll be looked after as well so id be fairly confident that you'd come out with a bit more than the flat rate yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

What are the standard shift hours??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    What are the standard shift hours??

I was talking to someone who went in in the last class and he is working 8-5 until he is put on the roster, when your on the roster I'm 95% sure your hours are 8-8. He wasnt sure how long he'd be waiting to get on the roster. He said thats where the overtime comes from.

I was talking to someone who went in in the last class and he is working 8-5 until he is put on the roster, when your on the roster I'm 95% sure your hours are 8-8. He wasnt sure how long he'd be waiting to get on the roster. He said thats where the overtime comes from.

Thanks for that.

At 8-8 would it be 4 on 3 off or 2 off??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eibp

My mate is a PO for the last 3 years.The roster is 8 till 8-12 hours.5 days one week ,2 the next.Thats 80 hours in two weeks..The 360 hours overtime are compulsory.Your only on nights a few days a month.You put your name on a list for any additional hours you want.

PS i went on a tour of mountjoy last Sunday.Crazy ****.As i was going in there was a guy being led out with a slashed face.Blood everywhere.You need a strong stomach for this job.You will encounter a lot of blood injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

everyone should know that they will encounter alot worse that slashed faces and blood injuries, seeing an offender after they've hung themselves or killed themselves someother way is a distinct possibility with a career in ps, also don't forget the threat to you and your collegues, po's also get injured.

eibp: must say that happening while you where is crazy alrite, the joy is in a class of its own, from what i hear avoid if at all possible(although don't think you get a choice)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

As regards the garda clearance,would a driving offence scupper your chances totally ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnnyk11

i was talking 2 po d other day who used 2 do d recruitin and training he thinks der doin d training dis time round in groups of 20.hes not sure of time frame or anything do

I don't know weather a driving offence would stop you from being accepted, but common sence would surley prevail, i assume they wouldn't be bothered by a minor traffic offence, your hardly a major criminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

Just a note of curiousty on the week you work two days would you only need to take two days leave to get a week off. as a fan of last minute cheap weeks abroad this could come in very handy:)

Maybe any current PO's who are looking in on this could answer cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Yep you would only need two days to get a week off! That's if you are able to afford a holiday on the money!

I don't know weather a driving offence would stop you from being accepted, but common sence would surley prevail, i assume they wouldn't be bothered by a minor traffic offence, your hardly a major criminal!

I know what you mean, just saw on the clearance form though that they could turn you down for either a conviction in either criminal court or under the road traffic act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

martingore wrote: »
    As regards the garda clearance,would a driving offence scupper your chances totally ?

Not unless you were speeding away from a bank job!

Even with a criminal conviction you may or may not be refused. I'm sure the nature of the offence, the passage of time and your behaviour since would all be factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

The job is great for time off, as you said, 22 hours leave can guarantee you a week off.

A driving offence unless its a very serious offence will have no bearing whatsoever on accepting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 eric muray

i have completed the aptitude test in 08 anyone got any further yet?

eric muray wrote: »
    i have completed the aptitude test in 08 anyone got any further yet?

The first 240 were interviewed early Feb, assuming you were placed outside of that, you may be called for interview at some point in the future. Seems at least 147 of the 240 have made it through to stage 3 (vetting, medical, physical and soul searching), people from this group may or may not be recruited at some point in the future (depending on the needs of the IPS and at the discretion of Minister Lenihan)

A fast, efficient process.

Ps. Does anyone know if feedback from the interviews will be available to successful candidates. Useful for future interview preperation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

wexfjord wrote: »

Ps. Does anyone know if feedback from the interviews will be available to successful candidates. Useful for future interview preperation etc.

If your looking for feedback,you have to email pas requesting it.

Does anyone know if ips will confirm receipt of our security clearance forms?????

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same , Im going to send it registered just in case

jason99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if ips will confirm receipt of our security clearance forms?????

I sent mine by registered post, I've had a few things go missing in the post in recent years. You'd expect they would confirm receipt, imagine ringing up in six or twelve months to enquire about your clearance to find out they hadnt received it!

(We could all now get criminal convictions for photocopying Passports/Driving Licences)

It is either passport or driving license , not both ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Either one will do,i asked ips over the phone.
    sent mine by registered post as well just to be sure.

cheers , well thats it then , hope we are not here in 2 years time enquiring if any1 got in yet .If cowan could redirect that 250 million he's sending to greece to the prison service , we're laughing !!!

Some one pointed out quite correctly earlier in this thread that it is possible to have these clearances fast tracked if they really need to. I think it reallly will be a case of , if we are needed that badly they will have the process sped up.

I agree with you pete.Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Still no results. They're still waiting on confirmation from the State Examinations Commission that i didn't make up the Leaving Cert results that i gave them.

When does it say the clearance forms have to be in by? I wouldn't be impressed if i missed out because of this!

portumna wrote: »
    Still no results. They're still waiting on confirmation from the State Examinations Commission that i didn't make up the Leaving Cert results that i gave them.

When does it say the clearance forms have to be in by? I wouldn't be impressed if i missed out because of this!

No date on it mate

• Advertisement

eric muray wrote: »
    i have completed the aptitude test in 08 anyone got any further yet?[/QUOTE

I don't think there's any doubt most if not all 08 panel will be interviewed at some stage over the next year or two, as i can't see them spending more money to start another recruitment drive. Depending on were you came in the exam and how many start over the coming months will determine how long you/me have to wait, but i'd say sep/oct before next group is called for interview.

I hear so many stories about retirements and new recruits resigning(you can resign after 12 weeks) for whatever reasons and recruits not turning up in the 1st place for training, sit tight, use the time to prepare.

Advertisement