Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

are any of the 07's stil looking in on this and waitin to be called???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

im from 07 still waiting patiently

Do you know if there is many of ye left, wat number are you on the Panel to ba called?

well all i know is that theres one other lad on this forum. ips said id be in the next class but im still waiting on my clearance.

thats a joke, how long ave you been waiting? where did you finish the 1st time around in you apptitude test do you mind me asking?

• Advertisement

around the 800 mark. waiting since 07 but did interview summer 08. no other good jobs out there so ive to cling on with hope to get into prison!!

Hope you get the call soon Bano alot of rumours going around of a big class comin up(80-100). You hardly know from either this or just talking to people how long people were waiting who were at the right end of the 07 campaign to be called in other words was the first class waiting long to get in from the 07's??

cheers.. i havent a clue but you hear stories of people doing there interview and starting the job a week after. id give anthing to get started but i hear the last class that started people didnt even turn up! not fair..

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I thought the 07 crew had been cleared already...
    TBH I'd be Pi55ed for waiting this long..
    I'd ring IPS asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eibp

hi guys i just got of the phone to the prison service.they dont have permission to hire ANYONE at the moment.they are waiting on the dept. of finance to give clearance which i was told will be a few months!!!he told me i could be waiting a year.just letting yous know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

eibp wrote: »
    hi guys i just got of the phone to the prison service.they dont have permission to hire ANYONE at the moment.they are waiting on the dept. of finance to give clearance which i was told will be a few months!!!he told me i could be waiting a year.just letting yous know.

Anything could happen at any time eibp,as it has in the past.IPS could be told something different next week.Hope they are.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eibp

thats very true man,fingers crossed anyway!!

"The period during which public servants may retire with their pension calculated on the basis of their salary prior to pay cuts will be extended to December 2011."

Just seen this on the RTE website. It concerns the proposed agreement last night between the government and the Puclic sector. If i'm understanding it right, and I'm open to correction this means that all the PO's retiring this year due to cuts will now have til the end of next year to do so which may slow down the retiring rate and in turn the recruitment rate.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

"The period during which public servants may retire with their pension calculated on the basis of their salary prior to pay cuts will be extended to December 2011."

Just seen this on the RTE website. It concerns the proposed agreement last night between the government and the Puclic sector. If i'm understanding it right, and I'm open to correction this means that all the PO's retiring this year due to cuts will now have til the end of next year to do so which may slow down the retiring rate and in turn the recruitment rate.....

My understanding of that is that it is an option for them to stay on till the end of next year without being effected by cuts. I am assuming this is part of the deal done last night so I doubt its forcing them to stay if they dont want to.

I agree thats the way I took it aswel, from a few people i've been talking too, they older PO's are getting out because its not paying them to stay any longer, this prob means though that they could get another years wages and then retire on the same package they can now, on the flip side if people who are 50+ had got it into their head they were retiring this year I would imagine it would be hard for them to get their head around the idea of staying that extra year when most were prob in retirement mode as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 spursfan79

to the excitment of getting the interview results last week to the despair of the news coming out now......no plans to recruit as said above and now the extension of the retirement to next year!!!!

I was talking to numerous people in the ps and they are so short staffed its dangerous....seems like the government really screwin the ips....maybe they should kick up like teachers,gardai, nurses and other public sector workers.

ah im just a little bitter and disappointed with the latest news!heres hoping for some good news soon...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

spursfan79 wrote: »
    to the excitment of getting the interview results last week to the despair of the news coming out now......no plans to recruit as said above and now the extension of the retirement to next year!!!!

I was talking to numerous people in the ps and they are so short staffed its dangerous....seems like the government really screwin the ips....maybe they should kick up like teachers,gardai, nurses and other public sector workers.

ah im just a little bitter and disappointed with the latest news!heres hoping for some good news soon...:(

TBH i dont see the need for despair. Some people may choose to wait another year to retire, many others wont.

As also said above the ban on recruitment could be lifted in the morning. With a more definite plan for the public sector being put into place, its more likely to speed up necessary recruitment rather than slow it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

http://www.irishprisons.ie/recruitment-home.htm

Looks like the IPS are recruiting for at least one shrink and a few nurses, now if thats not a positive sign, well, I must be getting desperate.

Heard on the grapevine that its geriatric nurses they're looking for, possibly with the intention of keeping serving officers alive for along as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

Yeah taxipete is right the ban most likely will be lifted on recruitment providing the unions get the nod from their workers to accept the overall deal which is very positive, also i believe the pension as it stands won't be changed before 2011, hopefully we'll be in before then so theres two positives and officers will still retire, any of them i've spoken to with 15 years or more can't wait to run out the gates, theres no incentive to work on as their pension will probley meet their weekly wage anyway because of cuts/levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Can anybody answer the following questions.

1. Is it true that out of the 240 called from 08 only 210 turned up for interview.

2. Was talking to a firend and he said a mate of his jumped from the 200's to mid teens after interview ?. can this happen.

3. Mate of mine is in the army and trying for the ips will he have an advantage over me.

4. Ive heard they are expecting 300 to leave the ips this year that is the reason the 08 competition is allowed to progress and have people ready to recruit.

• Advertisement

eibp wrote: »
    Hi lads Ive been watching this thread but this is my first post.I too got my letter today placed 74th.

The letter is a bit vague though.It just says we are pleased to inform you.....bla bla bla.It doesnt say when ill be called to do the medical!

Lads could I be waiting ages for this or what?Should i go ahead and emigrate cos im not working at the moment?:confused:
    Where did you finish in stage 1

macroman29 wrote: »

1. Is it true that out of the 240 called from 08 only 210 turned up for interview.

2. Was talking to a firend and he said a mate of his jumped from the 200's to mid teens after interview ?. can this happen.

3. Mate of mine is in the army and trying for the ips will he have an advantage over me.

4. Ive heard they are expecting 300 to leave the ips this year that is the reason the 08 competition is allowed to progress and have people ready to recruit.

1. Not too sure about the numbers but in week one there were a few absentees. After that I think they started ringing people in advance to confirm their attendance. Hard to see that too many people would bother filling out the supplementary application and not bother turning up a short while later.

2. Your position after interview is based on how you performed in the interview and previous position bears no relevance, you just get your interview sooner.

3. Who knows who has what advantage, all they judge is how much of a car crash your interview is.
    Your mates scenarios might be more relevant but he may have handled them inadequately or conveyed the information poorly.

4. Again, the numbers are hard to get a handle on, but there is definitely a need for recruitment. Whether the department of finance see this as a priority or not remains to be seen.

Just on point 2 mate a friend on mine was placed mid teens after the apptitude test and failed the interview and I went from 79 to 22nd. The results of stage one have no baring on your placing after the interviews

Cant help you on any the other Q's im afraid.

Thanks Wexfjord,

I spoke with HR IPS last week and asked for an update on recruitment
    the lady was very nice and informed me that the IPS has sanction to progress the 08 comp. Now my question is if another 240 are interviewed is it possible that they could jump the first 240 after interview if no recruitment has taken place.

I hope not or I'll never get in.

Thanks JobHunter09,

For clearing up those questions. The big question a lot of people cannot answer is will the public sector union accept the transformation proposals by goverment and if they do and pensions and grat is extended until 2011 will it effect recruitment ?.

Lads,

The general trail of taught is that in 1980 there was a massive recruitment in the IPS thousands i believe. Now if only 20% of those stayed in service this would mean 400 slots would open. Whats your views

wexfjord wrote: »
    I hope not or I'll never get in.
    I'd say you'll have no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

everyone should know that they will encounter alot worse that slashed faces and blood injuries, seeing an offender after they've hung themselves or killed themselves someother way is a distinct possibility with a career in ps, also don't forget the threat to you and your collegues, po's also get injured.

eibp: must say that happening while you where is crazy alrite, the joy is in a class of its own, from what i hear avoid if at all possible(although don't think you get a choice)

On the contrary I think that it's the only place to go. You'll see and learn more there in 6 months than in any other prison. It's a madhouse but a great place to work IMO. (Spent 8 years there)
    martingore wrote: »
    As regards the garda clearance,would a driving offence scupper your chances totally ?

No, shouldn't do.
    Just a note of curiousty on the week you work two days would you only need to take two days leave to get a week off. as a fan of last minute cheap weeks abroad this could come in very handy:)

Maybe any current PO's who are looking in on this could answer cheers

That's true to a degree but you do work every 2nd weekend - Fri, Sat, Sun. Off then Mon, Tues - In Weds, Thurs, - Off Fri, Sat , Sun and so on. Some slight variances from time to time depending on your roster. Every jail is slightly different
    Taxipete29 wrote: »
    TBH i dont see the need for despair. Some people may choose to wait another year to retire, many others wont.

As also said above the ban on recruitment could be lifted in the morning. With a more definite plan for the public sector being put into place, its more likely to speed up necessary recruitment rather than slow it down.

Most won't. As mentioned already anybody that has their mind set on going this year is doing so. The 2011 extension isn't even being mentioned where I work. Nobody would trust the Government on that one. We've been screwed once too often.

1. Don't have figures but wouldn't be surprised.
    2. Yes, you score more in the interview you go higher. The exam is really only a filtering system
    3. Not neccessarily. It does help a fair bit but it's still down to the individual interview performance. It all depends on his army experiences really - just being in the army doesn't guarantee anything.
    4. IMO it's a case of At Least 300 will be leaving so they have to recruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

twowheelsonly:

Thanks for opinion on mountjoy, always hearing from po's about how bad it is, Going for visit soon to see for myself, have been to two other prisons sofar, want the job even more now, hopefully i'll feel the same after the visit to the joy!

Thanks again

Advertisement