Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Finally got my results. Was down home over the Easter and managed to dig out the Leaving results. Brought them in today and they gave me the letter. Placed no. 11 so i'm delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

Fair play Portumna that was a very anxious wait for you at least there was good news at the end of it for you, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

@twowheelsonly

Thanks for the good replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

portumna wrote: »
    Finally got my results. Was down home over the Easter and managed to dig out the Leaving results. Brought them in today and they gave me the letter. Placed no. 11 so i'm delighted.

Well done mate. Well worth the wait.

Can anyone answer something for me and its just out of pure curiosity noting else, how many prison officers are there in ireland roughly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 youngsam

How much notice do you get before your physical & medical?

Fair play Portumna that was a very anxious wait for you at least there was good news at the end of it for you, well done.
    Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Well done mate. Well worth the wait.

Thanks lads! The 2 weeks since every1 else found has been long but it's a brilliant result at the end of it.

For any1 else waiting for the results i'd advise to get your leaving cert results yourself and drop them in because they don't seem to give 2 sh!tes in the PAS about those who are waiting even though they have all passed. I rang nearly everyday since the results came out and they didn't seem too bothered wether i got them or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Can anyone answer something for me and its just out of pure curiosity noting else, how many prison officers are there in ireland roughly??

The pay numbers are up into the 7000's now but with retirements and resignations etc the number would be around 1500 - 2000 I would think. I'm open to correction on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

portumna

well done, great result

Any tips from your interview?, any help greatly appreciated.
    Also anyone give me any opinions/pointers, i'm filling my application in at moment just to be prepared, i had an unsuccessful stint in college in 2002, stayed for 1 year of 2 year course, should i put this down on application or leave it out, don't want negetive areas on application!!. I just did'nt like the course. Anyone else in similar position with either college or job and left it out

Again any help appreciated thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

would everone who failed the interview have been sent out a letter by now i haven't heard anything back:confused:

• Advertisement

would everone who failed the interview have been sent out a letter by now i haven't heard anything back:confused:
    I'd say if you failed you would have heard, maybe your in the same boat as portumna, there was a problem with leaving cert results as per above posts.
    Give publicjobs a call

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I'm in the same boat as you and Portumna.I rang them today and they siad that they have not heard any word back form the Dept Of Education on the grades or the equivilant of grades..
    I'm gonna keep ringing every other day just to pi55 them off..Its not good enough that here I am almost three weeks later still waiting.. If I get it or not I would still like to know!

portumna

well done, great result

Any tips from your interview?, any help greatly appreciated.
    Also anyone give me any opinions/pointers, i'm filling my application in at moment just to be prepared, i had an unsuccessful stint in college in 2002, stayed for 1 year of 2 year course, should i put this down on application or leave it out, don't want negetive areas on application!!. I just did'nt like the course. Anyone else in similar position with either college or job and left it out

Again any help appreciated thanks all.

I failed my first year at college took a year out and went back to a different course. I put that down on it but just said that i change my course after a year out. I never said that i failed but made sure there were no gaps on my cv because that'll stand out like a sore thumb. I was told by a fairly high up PO to make sure you get involved in the group exercise but not to hog it. Make your point clearly and give all the information you have but make sure to listen to everyone else and don't talk over people. For the written exercise just try and det as much info from the video and put it in a decent format on the report. For the interview make sure you know the stories you and make sure you have another 1 or 2 to talk about because they'll ask you for another situation.

Well the good news is that if you didn't hand up an official department of education copy of you leaving results you more than likely have passed. They told me that anyone that failed got the letter dated the 22 march. If you get a copy of your results and bring them in they'll give you the letter or you could wait for them to confirm your results with the department but i was told that this would be done by the evening of 25th March and they still haven't got it done. That's why i went in yesterday.

I failed my first year at college took a year out and went back to a different course. I put that down on it but just said that i change my course after a year out. I never said that i failed but made sure there were no gaps on my cv because that'll stand out like a sore thumb. I was told by a fairly high up PO to make sure you get involved in the group exercise but not to hog it. Make your point clearly and give all the information you have but make sure to listen to everyone else and don't talk over people. For the written exercise just try and det as much info from the video and put it in a decent format on the report. For the interview make sure you know the stories you and make sure you have another 1 or 2 to talk about because they'll ask you for another situation.
    cheers mate thanks, will they check the dates you put down with employers?, do they ring employers at all?.I want to tweak dates alittle nothing major, just to tidy application up , i have a gap of a year after i finshed with college, nothing i can do bout that, hopefuly they wont hold it against me!

well done again.

Got the forms to arrange the medical and the audiogram this morning. They want them carried out within the next 2 weeks.

Got the forms to arrange the medical and the audiogram this morning. They want them carried out within the next 2 weeks.

Who sent that out? Was it the IPS or PAS?

Who sent that out? Was it the IPS or PAS?

IPS. As far as I know our involvement with the PAS has ended.

What place you come taxipete?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

Got my forms for the audiogram and medical this morning, rang the doctor to book the medical and she says that it takes quite some time, just thought I'd give everyone the heads up.

• Advertisement

What place you come taxipete?

dromdrom wrote: »
    Got my forms for the audiogram and medical this morning, rang the doctor to book the medical and she says that it takes quite some time, just thought I'd give everyone the heads up.

As in a few hours to complete??

Just got word there, letter at home for myself aswell, I wonder did we all get them or are they just getting a certain number ready??

Got the letter today after much ringing again. The PAS never updated my address with the IPS and it was sent out to my old address. I feel that someone doesn't want me to get this job!

Audiogram and Medical organised for Monday. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the recruitment process!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey lads i finished 107 after interview day and i got that letter as well this morning.

I think they could be sending it to everyone in case of delays with security clearences for some people .

Mick990 wrote: »
    Hey lads i finished 107 after interview day and i got that letter as well this morning.

I think they could be sending it to everyone in case of delays with security clearences for some people .

Cheers mick that answers that, looks like there getting everyone ready so all that will have to be done is fitness test and start training(which ive heard stories of this been done within days of eachother),and security clearence coming back ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Cheers mick that answers that, looks like there getting everyone ready so all that will have to be done is fitness test and start training(which ive heard stories of this been done within days of eachother),and security clearence coming back ok.

Dammit . I was hoping it would be 8 weeks away ive had a setback in my training for the running and i reckon it will take me at least that to be ready for the long sprint

Mick990 wrote: »
    Dammit . I was hoping it would be 8 weeks away ive had a setback in my training for the running and i reckon it will take me at least that to be ready for the long sprint

Ah i'd stil say we could be waiting a while yet, i'm in the same boat as you, twisted my ankle playin football monday, I did my ligaments this time last year was terrified did it again just a bad sprain dough thank god, im in no rush for it.

I wonder how hard it really is, I play football every year and would consider myself "reasonably fit" I hadn't planned in doing any specific training for the test.....

Ah i'd stil say we could be waiting a while yet, i'm in the same boat as you, twisted my ankle playin football monday, I did my ligaments this time last year was terrified did it again just a bad sprain dough thank god, im in no rush for it.

I wonder how hard it really is, I play football every year and would consider myself "reasonably fit" I hadn't planned in doing any specific training for the test.....
    lads

Is the medical done with your own doctor?

• Advertisement

lads

Is the medical done with your own doctor?

As far as I know yes

Advertisement