Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

grand,

any update on the physical testing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Lads, a quick tip, my BMI was just over 30, needed it below 30 for a new job, cut well down on white bread, sweet stuff and spuds for a few weeks and done a little walking in the evening to pull it under 30, it works quickly trust me, and with the bit of jogging you need to do for the fitness test, it will work a treat, best of luck to all ye, its been a long wait;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

youngsam wrote: »
    My BMI is just over 30 as well. Can we fail the medical because of this?

You can asked to do whats called a Chester Step Test if your BMI is too high. I have no idea what this entails except that this is the procedure. In other words if you are fit and have a slightly high BMI dont worry too much.

If you havent done the medical yet, you should be able to do a weight cut to come in under the 30 mark. Just like a fighter making weight for a weigh in

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

Just calculated mine there, its 29.9 lol, Medical is wed, think a bit of a crash dieting is in order just to be sure:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Did the medical today and my BMI came in at 31.9. But that's fully dressed and with about 3 litres of water in me (to be able to provide the required sample). Generally i'm around the 30 mark but i play hurling and train 3 times a week. I know for sure that i'm not really that bad but some graph says i'm obese. I'll have no problem with the PCT but will probably have to have the step test done before i'm allowed to do it. I think it's a really basic way to calculate. Using this way nearly all rugby players are obese because of the amount of muscle they carry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

true,

im concerned about the actual test, i dont really think i'll have a problem with the running but am kind of unsure..
    The threads say there is a long sprint but i cant see it in the documents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

true,

im concerned about the actual test, i dont really think i'll have a problem with the running but am kind of unsure..
    The threads say there is a long sprint but i cant see it in the documents

That's the 40 x 15m (600m) shuttles that has to be done in under 210 secs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Had the medical and audio today, a complete p**s take in my opinion. He's not local to me as i took the first, nearest appoinment i could get. Cant give too much info but its money for auld rope, if anyone is worried about their bmi, i have the doctor for you.

If your bmi is too high i think they use a body fat analysis device at some point to determine the levels of fat vs muscle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

I just calculated my bmi, its 27.9 which aparently is overweight!! Bit worried now, is there a min cut off point when you go for the medical anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

27.9 will not be consider overweight to them, im touching on 30 and i've prob added a few pounds all rite:o but wouldn't consider myself overweight, I wouldn't worry to much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

Now I'm worried....Im way off the mark, im just under 5'7 and weigh 16 stone but im not fat..(lifting weights for years)....will they use common sense or just go with the traditional b******t height to weight ratio???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

user1999 wrote: »
    I just calculated my bmi, its 27.9 which aparently is overweight!! Bit worried now, is there a min cut off point when you go for the medical anyone know?

30, your fine mate

• Registered Users Posts: 24 theirishlad

Do you pay for the audio and get t he medical free is it????

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

glic83 wrote: »
    just wondering,can you work in the prison in the county you are from ie say you are from limerick,living in limerick could you then work in limerick prison as a po or would it be a case of being sent anywhere but there?

You will be working in Dublin for at least the first 5 -10 years of your service. There is a waiting list for transfers to the regional prisons and it is strictly on seniority. There is no way around this. It is set in stone. You can look for a temp transfer on compassionate grounds ,i.e. looking after sick relatives, but it better be genuine because they WILL look for proof.

hit_killer wrote: »
    Now I'm worried....Im way off the mark, im just under 5'7 and weigh 16 stone but im not fat..(lifting weights for years)....will they use common sense or just go with the traditional b******t height to weight ratio???

Common sense in the Prison Service?????.....Oh my good GOD no they won't use that.... They've never even heard of the concept of Common Sense. Common What???? Doesn't exist.

wexfjord wrote: »
    Had the medical and audio today, a complete p**s take in my opinion. He's not local to me as i took the first, nearest appoinment i could get. Cant give too much info but its money for auld rope, if anyone is worried about their bmi, i have the doctor for you.

If your bmi is too high i think they use a body fat analysis device at some point to determine the levels of fat vs muscle.

Did the doctor give you the envelope to post???

480905 wrote: »
    Did the doctor give you the envelope to post???

I never received any brown envelope, from anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fedor.2

Anybody know anything about the HCCC course you have to complete to keep the job, i havent heard great things about it from the lads i know in the job.

I spoke to one recruit who reckons its a load of irrelevant tripe but its manageable if you keep on top of it.

so it just has to be done to keep the job is it and to keep the wages at a trainee level. nice

• Advertisement

HCCC, Higher Certificate in Custodial Care......Delivered by people who have never seen the inside of a Prison or dealt with a prisoner. I'm sure it has its merits but as a practical learning tool it serves no purpose.

480905 ya i heard the same. Afew weeks ago my brother was in beladd and spent a day and a half talking about a cup of coffee as a lesson in problem based learning. I wonder how much this course costs and wether its economically viable in the present climate.

So you do a tough enough exam,then wait anything up to 2 years for a result,then go and pass a tough interview,medical and physical,then if you get in you have to do a 2 year course that has no relevence to the job and that was brought in as part of benchmarking which doesnt exist anymore,move from home and family and have your low wages cut and cut again. The course is probably of benefit to everybody but the recruits id say. With probable further cuts on the way in pay on top of this rubbish you would have to wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

anyone else droped from the process because of not having a leaving, i was told that my trade cert would do instead of a leaving, but got told on monday after passing the interview in feb that i was out because the dept of education said that now it wasn't good enough:confused:....:confused:i was told to appeal it , am i pissing against the wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Appeal, appeal and appeal again and don't be afraid to do so.
    Contact any local TD or Public Representative as well to appeal on your behalf.
    Who told you that the trade cert was sufficient? If the cert you had was good enough when you applied, and advertised as such, then they have no valid reason to reject you now. If it was an official told you then you're halfway there already. If push comes to shove you may have to send them a solicitors letter but it's unlikely. If you do they'll jump so high that you'll probably be given a stripe before you even start training!!!!
    Don't let it go at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

anyone else droped from the process because of not having a leaving, i was told that my trade cert would do instead of a leaving, but got told on monday after passing the interview in feb that i was out because the dept of education said that now it wasn't good enough:confused:....:confused:i was told to appeal it , am i pissing against the wind
    Thats unbelievable, i would defo appeal, after all the waiting and hard work and effort, you must appeal

Goodluck if you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

That is rubbish. Appeal it straight away.

I was looking at the original information booklet and it clearly states that you must have relevant standard of leaving cert on the date of application, if someone told you that your trade cert was acceptable, you may track em down quick.

Its a farce of a situation, your trade cert is at the same level as the qualification you'd get from IT sligo with the prison service. The whole country is bull****ting on about recognition of prior learning etc, FETAC just love it and heres a state organisation lingering in the dark ages.

They harp on about bringing peoples life experiences to the job and here they are excluding the very people. Next thing they'll reduce the recruit salary sufficiently that only a recent school leaver can afford to take the job.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Hows it goin lads only after coming across this thread and it has been an interesting read. Like a lot of people on here i first applied in 08 and only got interview on March 1st of this year . I thought i'd never get it but i passed and am placed 82 merit .

I had the audiogram done wednesday and just passed but all ok[75€]:mad: .
    Done medical in Naas yesterday and have to say it was the quickest exam ive ever had. I live just outside Portarlington and this Dr was the closest one available .The Nurse done blood pressure,height and weight then had to pee into a tiny test tube (nearly drowned the place):D and then eye test. I had to wait on the Dr , but when i did see her i'd say it took all of 10 mins in total,well happy.Fingers crossed now for next phase:(.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 irishfella3

Lads you do know the rumours going around with this new goverment deal you can opt to do the course and start on 24000yr or not do it start on 19000yr...Only rumour and not implemented yet...I work in M/Joy missed the Sligo stuff but as far as I can tell its handy enought if you pt in the work but then if your working 40+ hours a week without travel aswell its hard to find the time or motivation for it..

Advertisement