Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Just an update from the IPS lads. I rang today to confirm receipt of security check form and was chatting with Jason in HR and he confirmed that there is still no jobs been offered for the foreseeable future , it could all change over night though!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fedor.2

Irishfella i heard the same but i cant see sligo letting a cash cow like that go easily

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

My Letter arrived today...At Fcuking Last.. Placed well..in 100-200 bracket...Happy days..
    Now to TRY and Get fit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Congrats loanshark,well done.Now we are all in the one boat....trying to get fit.have you got your medical and audiogram done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Well done loanshark. Best of luck with the fitness.

Does anyone know when the class that is currently in training will be finished??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

Hi lads

I know I've asked this before but does anyone have a definite number on how many from 07 are left, be great if we knew for sure.

Also well done Loanshark

Well done loanshark. Let the waiting continue.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Well done loanshark. Best of luck with the fitness.

Does anyone know when the class that is currently in training will be finished??

If they started in early march,i assume they will be finished in may,if it's a nine week course in bellad.not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

Hi lads

I know I've asked this before but does anyone have a definite number on how many from 07 are left, be great if we knew for sure.

Also well done Loanshark

as far as i know there are 50 waiting to be security cleared.

tommy57 wrote: »
    as far as i know there are 50 waiting to be security cleared.

Thanks for that Tommy, looks like there will be another class form the 07 bunch before they move on to us so, which would probably mean August at the very very earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Thanks for that Tommy, looks like there will be another class form the 07 bunch before they move on to us so, which would probably mean August at the very very earliest.

First of all congrats Loanshark well done .

Also i think the next class could be a mixture of 07-08 lads. If numbers are down like people are saying then i can't see them holding us back while there waiting on security clearances for the 07 panel if you know what i mean or if they only have 10 or so ready from 07 panel i don't think they will leave the other places blank.

Mick990 wrote: »
    First of all congrats Loanshark well done .

Also i think the next class could be a mixture of 07-08 lads. If numbers are down like people are saying then i can't see them holding us back while there waiting on security clearances for the 07 panel if you know what i mean or if they only have 10 or so ready from 07 panel i don't think they will leave the other places blank.

Ah they'd def mix the class all rite. I find it very hard to believe there is stil 50 waiting for clearance 18 months down the line, Seriously what are they checking like, what could possibly take that ling to find out??

TO Jason99
    I have not done the audio or medical yet..Audiologist is away until tomorrow, So I've to wait and see when she can fit me in...and then tey to get the medical ASAP..

Thanks to you all for your good wishes..The waiting was a bloody killer!!

Medical and Audio all booked for Friday..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 youngsam

Best of luck Loanshark. Had my audiogram and medical today. Think it went well, doctor said i'd pass. Time to start training hard now for the physical.

These shuttle runs are a bit tougher than they sound....I did a practice run today and managed it with about 5 seconds to spare..

The sprint is alright, even with the weight...

LoanShark wrote: »
    These shuttle runs are a bit tougher than they sound....I did a practice run today and managed it with about 5 seconds to spare..

The sprint is alright, even with the weight...

Just remember you will have the extra adrenaline on the day to get you over the line that bit faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

Got my feedback today and i fell down on the written report. Does anyone know if i can appeal this. I summorised it to much but the reason i did that was because of advice i got of a serving member. I just wrote about the phone ringing and the prisioner getting caught with it and left everything else out. Thought it was the incident they want to know about. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel or will i just give up and learn by this hard lesson.

Lavman, Thats a bummer to hear about what happened to you..

I would say if you can appeal, then do so....I think you acted on bad advice..

But the whole idea of the report writing was to see how much information you can take in and how you give it back..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

Right Lads,

Mediacal done, BMI 31, doc says,that it should not be a problem.and im super human !! ( delighted - was briking it !!)

Rang the IPS, chatting to some girl in HR, They have no date for the PCT as they have not been santioned yet. The security checks are not back yet,

Im in the early 30's in order of merit, does anyone actually when the PCT is going to start? or are the IPS just staying stump??

If the last batch ( info from here ) of 07 , started in early march then surely the next batch are 08 , but what are the class sizes , considering , if they are mixing classes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 eibp

Ive no idea what size the classes will be man.Can they only do one class at a time or what?

Im in the high seventies myself so i could be sitting around for another year me thinks.The whole thing is all over the place.The ips have not been told to hire anyone yet.

I just turned down a canadian visa thinking i would be called soon.Im thinking i should have went for the year rather than sit here unemployed and waiting on the call to start training!!!

This country...............:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Crocop legend

I dont think its gonna be that long mate.Heard from my high source that the service have the go ahead to take on 200 so as soon as clearance is back i'm imagining that the pct times are gonna be given out.It's gonna move faster than you think.I've done medical and audiogram,all 100%.BMI came back at 26 so doc said it was good and shouldnt be a problem.My mate did the pct last year,said its a piece of piss and not to worry all:cool:!!!

I agree with Crocop, I think we're gonna be called soon enough..
    I heard from a 2 serving officers that they are short staffed in some prisons and that the amount of retirees could mean 200-300 at least..

I was suposed to do the medical last friday, But I couldn't make it, So I have it now on Thursday..
    Had the Audio and all is OK..

I dont think its gonna be that long mate.Heard from my high source that the service have the go ahead to take on 200 so as soon as clearance is back i'm imagining that the pct times are gonna be given out.It's gonna move faster than you think.I've done medical and audiogram,all 100%.BMI came back at 26 so doc said it was good and shouldnt be a problem.My mate did the pct last year,said its a piece of piss and not to worry all:cool:!!!

Well you have been fairly on the button so far mate, so heres hoping your info is correct.

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Well you have been fairly on the button so far mate, so heres hoping your info is correct.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

Was speaking to a VERY senior member of the prison service the other day. He said they are finished taking from the 2007 group, so the next lot to be called will be from the 2008 group. They are in discussions on whether to decrease or increase the size of classes. They used to take on 80 at a time a few years back, but they cut that down the last few years. So they arent sure how many they will be taking on at the first stage. But they have been given the go ahead to take on 200-250 new staff over the next yr/yr and a half.
    Anyone else finding the 15x40 shuttle runs hard? Id consider myself to be reasonably fit but my legs turn to jelly doing it and crawl over the line towards the end!!! Ive always been a sprinter, and this long distance run is hard!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

they are not finished with the 07 crew there is still about 40 waiting.. so say the lads in the prison service office anyway!

Had the medical this morning..
    BMI is 29, Nurse said it high but nothing to worry about, 30 is sort of the borderline..
    Doctor said all is good....

Shuttle runs are coming on well...I just keep practicing them...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey Lads,

I'm getting a little worried here about my bmi. When i went for my medical it was
    32 I know its high but the doc at the time said it wasn't really anything to worry about because i've a fair bit of muscle as well as well as the fuel tank. I've been training hard since then and i've knocked nearly half a stone off and with the sprint training I reckon ill have a lot more off and will more then likely come in under 30. So i am wondering will they look at the original 32 and cross me off or will they give me another chance to weigh in or just see how the medical goes ??

Also just heard the Minister for Defence has lifted the ban on recruitment for Gardai os i doubt we will be waiting much longer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

Mick990 wrote: »
    Hey Lads,

I'm getting a little worried here about my bmi. When i went for my medical it was
    32 I know its high but the doc at the time said it wasn't really anything to worry about because i've a fair bit of muscle as well as well as the fuel tank. I've been training hard since then and i've knocked nearly half a stone off and with the sprint training I reckon ill have a lot more off and will more then likely come in under 30. So i am wondering will they look at the original 32 and cross me off or will they give me another chance to weigh in or just see how the medical goes ??

Also just heard the Minister for Defence has lifted the ban on recruitment for Gardai os i doubt we will be waiting much longer

You'll be ok. I knew a lad from the last group, and he was told to lose a stone and to come back then. Worst case, they would send you for further doctor test, or the other, proper way of doing the bmi calculation which takes your muscle weight into account, which will prove that your bmi is not 32. You will be grand. The prison service are fair when it comes to things like that. They just look out for people who are extremely over weight, who could have a heart ache two days into the job. They are just covering themselves. No need to worry, they will tell by looking at you if your at risk or not.

Advertisement