Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Yikes !!! Mine was 31, but the doc said i was fine!!

My doc said that there'd be no problem too so i wouldn't go on that. Seemingly the cut-off is 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

portumna wrote: »
    My doc said that there'd be no problem too so i wouldn't go on that. Seemingly the cut-off is 30.

I had my medical about wednesday 21st april, , i take it im going to get one of them letters soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

portumna wrote: »
    Did the medical on 12th april. The date on the letter i got today is 28th april.

Thanks.

I didnt get my medical done till the 20th April.My BMI was 31 so will expect my letter in the not too distant future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 candidate09

Salary is €19k plus 8% operations allowance + rent of €1400, that was the salary on the last contract to leave HR ( rang them yesterday

The above salary is around E10,000 less than what was advertised when we applied..although there have been cuts since, they are nowhere near 33%, like above..that salary would have to make you think twice..its just above a minimum wage job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hotter

The above salary is around E10,000 less than what was advertised when we applied..although there have been cuts since, they are nowhere near 33%, like above..that salary would have to make you think twice..its just above a minimum wage job!
    Ring IPS to find out the correct rates of pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

The pay is less than what was advertised..
    It wouldn't bother me at the moment..Because I'm currently living on 39.10e per week (got means tested last week!), Which is only 2000+e per year.. So if it was to be 19,000e, Then that would be almost a 900% increase.. not much wrong with that..
    Thankfullly I dont have a mortage...yet, But I am married and do have a personal loan..I think I would survive for a while..

But it is bad form, from what we were told in the advertisement, to what we are now being told are different things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 candidate09

hotter wrote: »
    Ring IPS to find out the correct rates of pay.

I wonder is that for the first year and then you take a decent jump in pay..somethin similar to the gaurds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hotter

I wonder is that for the first year and then you take a decent jump in pay..somethin similar to the gaurds?
    As far as I know you are paid as a recruit for the first 3 years with the pay going up a little after each year. After 3 years training if you are deemed to have passed you will become a prison officer and this is when your salary takes a jump of about 18% I think.To be sure ring I.P.S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Prison_PAS_advert2.jpg

I do find it a little bit strange that they would continue the campaign without informing those still involved that the salary has been reduced significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    I do find it a little bit strange that they would continue the campaign without informing those still involved that the salary has been reduced significantly.

I have a mortgage to pay and 3 kids under four ,i for one cant see myself going for this now if its only a little better than min pay.
    The idea of the golden goose that we thought this job was going to be is gone now.I really don't think i can afford to commit to it if i have to pay for digs or travel costs out of 350/400€ p/w .:(

TBH I dont think you will be on your own darkman. I only earn about that at present so the added security coupled with the fact its something I want to do makes it an easy decision for me, but I can see alot of dropouts when they find out the new salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

darkmark79 wrote: »
    I have a mortgage to pay and 3 kids under four ,i for one cant see myself going for this now if its only a little better than min pay.
    The idea of the golden goose that we thought this job was going to be is gone now.I really don't think i can afford to commit to it if i have to pay for digs or travel costs out of 350/400€ p/w .:(

Think very carefully about it. More Officers gone on FIS this week (Family Income Supplement).... Absolutely scandalous.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

480905 wrote: »
    Think very carefully about it. More Officers gone on FIS this week (Family Income Supplement).... Absolutely scandalous.....

17 officers on FIS in my jail alone and that's only who i know about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

not a good sign for myself and others hoping to get into the job. I can see more people not turning up for training when the call comes. but its better than the dole..

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I can understand the worries that people have in relation to the salary and how it will impact on your lives, But there is Feck All opportunities out there,If I am lucky to get the job, I will be grabbing it with both hands!

I dont have a mortage (yet!) So, I'm lucky in that sense.But having learned to live on the Dole on and off for the last two years it is possible to make ends meet...

Would it be correct to assume that most if not all of these officers on FIS have less than three years service. Please say yes.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

wexfjord wrote: »
    Would it be correct to assume that most if not all of these officers on FIS have less than three years service. Please say yes.:(

Yes . New recruits . less than two years or so. Diabolical situation . State employees on welfare payments. Cowen and co should be shot .

To the best of my knowledge, FIS money comes from europe, so the more the merrier as far as biffo goes.

Money is not the main motivating factor for many people chosing this career, but we all have bills to pay. Dont think I can pay mine on this kind of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

has anyone rang or heard from the ips?? i was told not to ring back few wks ago.. must have touched a nerve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

bano12 wrote: »
    has anyone rang or heard from the ips?? i was told not to ring back few wks ago.. must have touched a nerve

I tried ringing last week but no one would take my call!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

letter in the post this morning inviting me for the physical on the 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

Where is it taking place?

IPS Training and Development Centre (Beladd House) , Dublin Road , Portlaoise,
    11.am on Friday the 21st of may

Congrats dromdrom, always good to see progress with this campaign .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 youngsam

dromdrom wrote: »
    letter in the post this morning inviting me for the physical on the 21st.

What position were you placed after the interview stage?

Low twenties

• Registered Users Posts: 31 youngsam

Well done dromdrom. I am in the nineties. Wonder if they will be calling all of us to the physical. Another day waiting to find out if the letter is at home. Fingers crossed.

Just out of interest , did you get your medical done quickly after you receieved the letter.? I done mine really late due to being stuck abroad during the first ash cloud .

• Advertisement

martingore wrote: »
    Just out of interest , did you get your medical done quickly after you receieved the letter.? I done mine really late due to being stuck abroad during the first ash cloud .

If I remember correctly twas about a week

Advertisement