Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

LoanShark wrote: »
    I was just wondering what the age profile of some of the people who are waiting are??

It's not that its important, I'm just curious! (and I dont really want to be the oldest in the class if I am lucky to get in!!)..I'm 30..

21 Loanshark- Wonder am I the youngest??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I'll see your thirty and raise you one

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

Dublin here but working in mayo till thursday night and from there to portlaoise .Does everybody have to stay in plaoise during training ? Is there much craic in the evenings ? any football etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

wexfjord wrote: »

A big 30 here too ,plus i live 25 mins from portlaoise just outside portarlington.

martingore wrote: »
    Dublin here but working in mayo till thursday night and from there to portlaoise .Does everybody have to stay in plaoise during training ? Is there much craic in the evenings ? any football etc etc

If you live close enough they will let you go home at night!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

wexfjord wrote: »

I'll see your 31 and raise you 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

32, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 youngsam

34 Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

All the 3's 33,live 15 minutes away from portlaoise.
    also they called people to the pct based on the first ones to be cleared by the cmo.the quicker you did the medical the quicker you get called to the pct.there should be another pct a week or so later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Crocop legend

From the big smoke and just celebrated my 27th birthday!!!:D
    Hopin i'll still be 27 when I start f***in training!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

From the big smoke and just celebrated my 27th birthday!!!:D
    Hopin i'll still be 27 when I start f***in training!!!!

Ha Ha fingers crossed and heres hoping i dont see another birthday while waiting(october).:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Sorry guys only joined the post, so I'm sure I've missed loads,
    whats the actual criteria for a PO's job.. maybe link or something? oh and age limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jen_cokes

Hi guys, is there any girls on this??!!! yee know any girls going for it???!! im placed in the late 20s, have my physical next friday too. did the 40 shuttle runs there for the first time and made it in the time so hopefully all will be ok, i ran forwards and backwards though..yee sure that we're not meant to do that? cuz it does say back wards on the sheet they sent us? also, did the sprinting with the weight, thats no problem, only one im worried about is the bench press thing, any advice??! (im 23yrs old by the way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Had the step test earlier. Piece of piss. My BMI was down from 31.9 to 29.7. If i only had it at that for the medical i could have avoided all this sh!t. God hindsight is great!

Had a bit of a go at the CMO for being called to the test as some here were over the 30 mark on their BMI's and i was still below 32. She waq hoping i'd fail i think but when she saw that my BMI was below 30 she was sickened. Don't think i'll be gettin a Christmas card from her.

She also said that there would be no class before June but that there may be 2 classes running at the same time. As in 2 classes of 40. So maybe there's hope for 80 of us fairly soon!

And JobHunter i'm 28 living in Leixlip. Hoping they'll let me home 1 or 2 evenings a week for training (and to see the missus and young lad of course). That's if i make it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

portumna wrote: »
    Had the step test earlier. Piece of piss. My BMI was down from 31.9 to 29.7. If i only had it at that for the medical i could have avoided all this sh!t. God hindsight is great!

Hey Portumna what do you have to do for the step test ?? Is it like the bleep test ??

Congrats on passing it though hopefully not long now till your in

Im 29 from Leixlip as well but im not worried about coming home not much in Leixlip except 3.50 pints mon to fri and my girlfriend is pissing me off so ill be glad of the break lol

Sorry guys only joined the post, so I'm sure I've missed loads,
    whats the actual criteria for a PO's job.. maybe link or something? oh and age limit?

Under 60, security clearance required, medical and physical, leaving cert.....

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/en/campaign/inprogress.do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Crocop legend

Mick990 wrote: »
    portumna wrote: »

Hey Portumna what do you have to do for the step test ?? Is it like the bleep test ??

Im 29 from Leixlip as well but im not worried about coming home not much in Leixlip except 3.50 pints mon to fri and my girlfriend is pissing me off so ill be glad of the break lol
    Haha,love it mate only up the road in lucan!i'll be coming home coz I train 4 weekdays a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

jen_cokes wrote: »
    Hi guys, is there any girls on this??!!! yee know any girls going for it???!! im placed in the late 20s, have my physical next friday too. did the 40 shuttle runs there for the first time and made it in the time so hopefully all will be ok, i ran forwards and backwards though..yee sure that we're not meant to do that? cuz it does say back wards on the sheet they sent us? also, did the sprinting with the weight, thats no problem, only one im worried about is the bench press thing, any advice??! (im 23yrs old by the way)
    hey jen cokes, well your the first girl ive seen on this board and the first ive heard going for it. so best of luck and fair play for gettin this far. with the bench press just keep going to the gym starting on a low weight working your way up. or steroids ha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hi guys, is there any girls on this??!!! yee know any girls going for it???!! im placed in the late 20s, have my physical next friday too. did the 40 shuttle runs there for the first time and made it in the time so hopefully all will be ok, i ran forwards and backwards though..yee sure that we're not meant to do that? cuz it does say back wards on the sheet they sent us? also, did the sprinting with the weight, thats no problem, only one im worried about is the bench press thing, any advice??!

Hey Jen with regards the bench press my advice would be to head to the gym and after doing a decent warm up first try a flat bench with 2 maybe 8-10kg dumbells try lift them 2 sets of 8-10 reps . try concentrate on your breathing as well inhaling when bringing the weights down and exhaling when pushing them up.

Then move onto the bar i would try the bar on its own first as if its a proper olympic bar it will be 20kgs . Now grab the bar shoulder width apart and try lift it and bring it down to your chest and push up, make sure it comes to at least an inch off your chest if not touching it on each rep again try maybe do this for 10 reps. if you can do this handy then add a 5kg weight either side and if thats easy then add a 2.5kg either side this will give you 35kgs and a pass.

Now things to try if its too hard . Firstly your grip usually people will grab the bench so your fingers are on one side and your thumb is on the underside . try grab it so that your thumb is on the same side as your fingers so you can see them all when your looking u p if you know what i mean this will give your wrist extra support.

Also your feet firstly try the exercise with your feet either side of the bench but also try a set with your feet flat on the bench it might help give you that extra push.

Now if you are finding the 20kg kinda easy but the 35kg to tough then try go as slowly as you can with the 20kg or even try stop half way up and hold for 3-4 secs then hold at the top for 23-4 secs and same again at the bottom .

ALso try the same technique with press ups to help build up your strength.

Now most importantly . DO NOT try lift the big bar unless you have a mate or someone from the gym with you in case you can t lift the 20kgs you could do serious damage if you drop it on top of your self and look like a muppet :)

Hope this helps and ill see you in walking the halls soon enough

• Advertisement

Hi Jen,

Congrats on making it this far!

You might all ready know this Jen but just incase you didn't the bench press test is not an actuall bench press, if you look back at the very first info booklet about the job, its tested using a concept-II ergo meter which with the help of google I found out its a type of rowing machine. Mick's advice could be helpful with this type of test I wouldn't know to be honest but just to make sure you know you will not be asked to do an actual bench press as far as I know anyway. I also remember talking to a new recruit a while back and he was saying that the test just simulates a bech press and he said it was very very easy!

I am open to correction on any of the above by the way:p

Good luck on friday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

lads,

Just had a go at the shuttle runs, did 15 and nearly collapsed !!! anyone else having problems ??

lads,

Just had a go at the shuttle runs, did 15 and nearly collapsed !!! anyone else having problems ??

Are you going too hard too fast??

A steady pace of 5 sec per run, while not easy is not exactly a mad sprint

Have you been doing much training before now?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

Not a massive amount of training, just have lost 2.5 stone in the past 4 months, but still finding it hard to do the runnin !!

Really getting worried now, test next friday, and after all the turmoil, i dont know what im going to do if i fail, its says that we can repeat the test if we fail it the first time, but can we repeat it on the same day ??

How strick are they with the passing, its just after i put so much effort into loosin weight, and only getting the letter 1 week before the test seems unfair.

I am going to train for the rest of the week but i doubt ill be able to pull it together in time !!!

Not a massive amount of training, just have lost 2.5 stone in the past 4 months, but still finding it hard to do the runnin !!

Really getting worried now, test next friday, and after all the turmoil, i dont know what im going to do if i fail, its says that we can repeat the test if we fail it the first time, but can we repeat it on the same day ??

How strick are they with the passing, its just after i put so much effort into loosin weight, and only getting the letter 1 week before the test seems unfair.

I am going to train for the rest of the week but i doubt ill be able to pull it together in time !!!

You never know, you might surprise yourself on the day. Determination and hunger can count for alot with physical challenges

Keep training and just do your best. You have done well to lose that much weight so far. If it you dont manage it on the day you repeat at a later date.
    They are very strict from what I gather.

To be fair we have known from the day we applied we had a PCT to do at some stage if we got that far. Not being smart, but we have had a year and a half. I dont think we can call it unfair to be called at short notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tonyosh

22 10 mins away from plaois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Johnaldinioh

Is there any way of getting in without your lc as i left school after junior cert and dont want to go back to school. If not ireland could i apply to U.K ????

Most of the people who go in without a leaving cert dont get to leave for quite a while, if you know what i mean.

They seem to be quite strict on lc.

Re UK, see links.

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/careersandjobs/becomingaprisonofficer/prisonofficereligibility/

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/careersandjobs/becomingaprisonofficer/recruitmentassessmentday/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

you defo need the lc , i have a trade but no leaving, i passed all the tests and the interview but they still won't let me in , a joke if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

It's only stepping up and down of a step about 10 or 12 inches high for 10 mins. You start off really slow for 2 mins and the the tempo increases every 2 mins and they check your heartrate after each section.

Advertisement