Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

Do you have to stay in portlaoise ,if for example, you live in dublin ? Does anyone have a definitive answer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

Im a girl and 26 nearly 27. Was placed in the top ten after the interview. Have my pct at 8am on friday. Horrible hour of the day. When you do the training in you have the choice to stay down there or not. But you cant chop and change. You either stay from the start or dont. For anyone with a far distance to travel, you are better off staying down, because you start at 8 every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

martingore wrote: »
    Do you have to stay in portlaoise ,if for example, you live in dublin ? Does anyone have a definitive answer ?

I'm not sure if its a requirement but you are encouraged severely to stay in the centre. Living out would be frowned upon. I'll get definite answers tmw and post tmw night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

http://www.irishprisons.ie/documents/PreparingForEntryToTheIrishPrisonServiceTra.pdf

“Are we provided with accommodation, and will we have to pay for it”?
    Accommodation is provided for recruit officers in training. Some trainees will be allowed to
    live away from the centre, provided they live locally. There is no fee for the official
    accommodation provided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Las Vegas

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how much they wrote in the report writing exercise?

I received feedback on my stage 2 and passed the interview and group exercise. I failed the report writing. Can't believe it. I thought that would have been the easiest part of the selection process.
    I only wrote a page and thought I had covered everything but I noticed the people around me had written a few pages.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

I cant remember exactly, but I know that it was at least 2 pages if not more and I wasnt sure I had put in enough detail

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

I wrote about a page and a half!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

page and a half aswell.

on a different note.....
    best of luck to everyone in on friday.
    let us know how you get on.
    maybe ye can clarify the great shuttle run debate.....forwards,backwards!!!!!!

i had about 2 and a half pages and didnt get it finished, but i had every details. Report writing is like a legal report, you dont state fact, you state to the best of your knowledge. Which in other words means that if you make a mistake in a report statement, there is loop holes left. Hence "it appeared" instead of "directly pointing the finger and stating it as fact".

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Think I wrote about a page and a half too..
    Its all about the content and how you relay it back to the person reading it..
    As user 1999 said its a document and it is how you word it and put it forward..
    Pay attention to detail and don't try to create a fact..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I believe there were marks to be lost for including irrelevant content.

You got to eliminate the negatives, accentuate the positives and look out for mr. inbetween.:rolleyes:

If you fail a test on friday do you repeat it on the same day or at a later date??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 theirishlad

someone who lives near the training center,
    can you give me directions as you enter portlaois coming from tullamore side

thanks

Assuming your coming through mountmellick, you come into town go straight through the first roundabout, a topaz filling stations is on your left, keep going straight past dunnes stores(on ur left) and under the bridge, go straight tru the next round about. Tale a left at the next roundabout(there is a fillin station on ur left and rite here) and head straight through 2 more round abouts. You'll see the church then, go straight through 2 mini round abouts(you'll see what I mean) keep heading straight (you'll be driving along the left hand side the church) it is the first entrance after you pass the prisons!! Oh and incase you didn't notice this town thinks roundabouts solve all traffic problems:p

If you fail a test on friday do you repeat it on the same day or at a later date??

i asked the ips the very same question.you repeat the test on a different day,but hopefully you wont have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Bellad house is beside the prison which is on the Dublin side of Portlaoise ,it'll be on your right as you come in past the hospital.Hope this helps just look for the Dublin road and you can't miss the Prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

Just a tip guys....probably sounds obvious but if you can bring a couple of bottles of lucozade sport with you on the day...not the fizzy one but the flat orange or blackberry ones, and SIP on it as much as possible in between excersises....dont gulp it down just sip on it so it doesnt upset your stomach and gives you a steady stream of glucose...keeps muscle glycogen high which as you already know converts to energy fast, helps performance and can prevent burnout.

Try and get some porridge into you in the morning as well yeah and a couple of eggs...stay well hyrdrated.

I came in 296th...don't think my batch has been contacted for an interview yet but not 100% sure...anyone know? or has anyone around my range been contacted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 youngsam

Best of luck to everyone doing the physical tomorrow. Let us know how ye got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Best of luck to everyone doing the physical tomorrow ,i hope everyone does well.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Good Luck tomorrow to everyone...

• Advertisement

Of all the luck!!! .....Have had a really chesty cough all week, went to the doc and was told i have really bad hay fever and a chest infection. :( So if you see someone collasp tomorrow during the run...it will be me!!!! Heres hoping that i wake up in the morning as fresh as a daisy!!! (Hopefully!!!).
    Best of luck everyone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Best of luck to all tomorrow. Spare a thought for those of us who should be there with ye and let us know how ye get on. Hopefully there won't be any of ye back for a retest on the day we do ours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jen_cokes

Been practising the stupid weights, got it so hopefully all will be ok 2moro, best of luck everyone, hopefully we'll all be fine, driving up from west cork first thing 2moro morning so hopefully i wont get lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

Well lads best of luck to everyone tommorrow,I'm sure everyone will fly it on the day:)

I'm placed 106 after the interview so haven't been called this time for the PCT but hopefully it won't be long.

On another note i was speaking to someone in the IPS about the salary and he told me that the starting salary is €24k + €4k rent allowance(paid to everyone regardless if your renting,living with parents or paying mortgage) ,8% operational allowance and also paid extra for sat & sun work.This is what the RPO's who started in feb are on.He couldn't tell me though when next class is due to start unfortunately.

He also said that security clearance could take up to 3 months,don't know why it takes so long as the job I'm in at the moment required security clearance and I got it back in two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

best of luck everyone !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey best of luck to everyone tomorrow i hope it all goes really well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

After all the nightmares I had about those shuttle runs I passed. Congratulations to anyone else on here who passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    After all the nightmares I had about those shuttle runs I passed. Congratulations to anyone else on here who passed.

Well done Pete. Hopefully i'll be posting something similar in the not too distant future!

On a different note i got a call from the IPS earlier. They were looking for my home address that i grew up in for the sucurity clearance as they couldn't find anything on me at any of the addresses i gave them. There seems to be a lot of movement from them lately!

So what was it like today?
    what was the procedure today?

• Advertisement

Taxipete29 wrote: »

Congrats and well done.you can relax now.

Advertisement