Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

From what I heard today , the next pct is on in one month .Well done taxipete ....glad to get that out of the way too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Well done to you too martin.

Hopefully the rest of you wont be too far behind.

There was also a whisper(rumour, story, whatever you wanna call it) about a class starting very soon, as in the next few weeks. We will see. I think we have all learned not to expect anything until it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Did the test take long to complete taxipete?

jason99 wrote: »
    Did the test take long to complete taxipete?

About an hour for the actual test part. We were split into 2 groups. Our group went first while the other group had to wait around while we did our tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Thanks.
    and what were the other parts......demonstration etc?????

• Advertisement

jason99 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    and what were the other parts......demonstration etc?????

They demonstrate each test just before you do it. It really is all very straightforward.

Found this on Kildarestreet.com from yesterday.

Question 115: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform further to Parliamentary Question No. 195 of 3 March 2010, when a response will issue; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [21129/10]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail)
    I refer further to my reply to Question 195 of the 3rd March 2010.
    I wish to advise the Deputy, that following the receipt of sanction from the Minister for Finance, a recruitment process commenced in February of this year. Candidates for this process were drawn from those who successfully completed a written examination and were placed on a panel for the position in 2008.
    The recruitment process involves the holding of competitive interviews, medical and health assessments, and security clearance of prospective candidates.
    It is expected that this 2008 panel will be adequate for the current recruitment needs of the Irish Prison Service, and there are no plans to advertise for further applicants.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-05-20.1129.0

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

Well done to everyone today,here's hoping the rest of us get called soon for the PCT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

hi can anybody help me! i applied for prison officers i think it was late 2008! i did my aptitude test in portlaoise. I got a letter back to say i had finished in the top 15% in the country! thing is public jobs.ie changed somethin wit thier website & ya had to re register! i never did cos i didnt know how to! now i ave just registered today! i havnt recieved any news regarding any more tests or anything & was justwondering if anybody had heard from them that did ther aptitude test with me?? should i ring them up to find out?? any help please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Crocop legend

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Found this on Kildarestreet.com from yesterday.

Question 115: To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform further to Parliamentary Question No. 195 of 3 March 2010, when a response will issue; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [21129/10]

Dermot Ahern (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform; Louth, Fianna Fail)
    I refer further to my reply to Question 195 of the 3rd March 2010.
    I wish to advise the Deputy, that following the receipt of sanction from the Minister for Finance, a recruitment process commenced in February of this year. Candidates for this process were drawn from those who successfully completed a written examination and were placed on a panel for the position in 2008.
    The recruitment process involves the holding of competitive interviews, medical and health assessments, and security clearance of prospective candidates.
    It is expected that this 2008 panel will be adequate for the current recruitment needs of the Irish Prison Service, and there are no plans to advertise for further applicants.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-05-20.1129.0
    Nice find mate,iHeard it was a closed shop after us and prob won't be more recruitment for the next 5 years!!!It's all the home straight now.Congrats to those who made the final hurdle today.Just a waiting game for you guys now.I heard they took up to no.80 for the pct today.Thats just 16 away from me so fingers x'd it happens soon!To those that did the pct today,was it as stressful as everybody was makin it out to be or was it relaxed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

lakes1985 wrote: »
    hi can anybody help me! i applied for prison officers i think it was late 2008! i did my aptitude test in portlaoise. I got a letter back to say i had finished in the top 15% in the country! thing is public jobs.ie changed somethin wit thier website & ya had to re register! i never did cos i didnt know how to! now i ave just registered today! i havnt recieved any news regarding any more tests or anything & was justwondering if anybody had heard from them that did ther aptitude test with me?? should i ring them up to find out?? any help please?

If you were in the top 240, you'd have received a letter. If you're outside this, sit back and enjoy your summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 youngsam

To the people who did the PCT yesterday, you obviously didnt have to run backwards during the shuttle runs did you ?

youngsam wrote: »
    To the people who did the PCT yesterday, you obviously didnt have to run backwards during the shuttle runs did you ?

No lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

Missed out on passing the 600m by 4 seconds!!! Yet the person who was in front of me by 2 yards got through!! Dont think that two yards took me 4 seconds!!!! Raging. Going to have to wait for the repeat now. Hopefully it will be soon...

Not to change the subject too much but I take it we are all on the panel.Anyone have any ideas how many of us are on the panel playing the waiting game???!!!;).It's basically "we hire as we need" according to Dermot Ahernes reponse from 2 days ago that Taxipete found.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

lakes1985 wrote: »

If you did a test and you were placed you should still be considered. Ring on Monday morning and get answers. Baby who cries loudest gets the dummy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hotter

Not to change the subject too much but I take it we are all on the panel.Anyone have any ideas how many of us are on the panel playing the waiting game???!!!;).It's basically "we hire as we need" according to Dermot Ahernes reponse from 2 days ago that Taxipete found.

I have heard that a class may start early june but finance has not yet been approved for it.

hotter wrote: »
    I have heard that a class may start early june but finance has not yet been approved for it.
    Yeah I heard this too but from what I heard it's 20 from the 07 panel that are ready to go and starting in june.Don't know how true it is coz i've been told so much B/S over the last while to do with the job.Think the rest of us can sit back and enjoy the summer if this is the case.I was just wondering what numbers are on the panel.As I said before i'm 96 on the list.Was just wondering does it go much further than that or are there people in the 300-400's also on the panel.I know it almost went to 2000 on the 07 panel and I know for certain that the 08 panel is much smaller.Rant over!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

Yeah I heard this too but from what I heard it's 20 from the 07 panel that are ready to go and starting in june.Don't know how true it is coz i've been told so much B/S over the last while to do with the job.Think the rest of us can sit back and enjoy the summer if this is the case.I was just wondering what numbers are on the panel.As I said before i'm 96 on the list.Was just wondering does it go much further than that or are there people in the 300-400's also on the panel.I know it almost went to 2000 on the 07 panel and I know for certain that the 08 panel is much smaller.Rant over!!!!:D
    hey crocop, im from the 07 panel and havent done the fitness test! couldnt believe i wasnt called for the one last friday!! I think the next class will be a mix of 07, 08. your right about the B/S its ridiculous..

Did you contact the prison service bano?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

martingore wrote: »
    Did you contact the prison service bano?
    I did and I know another fella from 07 in the same boat. Im sick ringing them but getting no straight answers. Id rather be told im not been considered anymore than this waiting around! looks like they are picking who ever they feel like..

thats bad form .they should let you know one way or the other

It might be worth noting that all of us there on Friday were measured up for our uniforms before the test, presumably so they could be ordered if and when we passed. This might be another indication of a quick intake

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

It might be worth noting that all of us there on Friday were measured up for our uniforms before the test, presumably so they could be ordered if and when we passed. This might be another indication of a quick intake

Well done Pete and everyone else who passed on Friday:D
    Just wondering how many attended on Friday and any news on when the next test will be?
    Fingers crossed i get called and do well ,did those who passed all do some sort of training to prepare or was it easy enough?

darkmark79 wrote: »
    Well done Pete and everyone else who passed on Friday:D
    Just wondering how many attended on Friday and any news on when the next test will be?
    Fingers crossed i get called and do well ,did those who passed all do some sort of training to prepare or was it easy enough?

From a personal point of view I was very unfit and have been training since I got the call for the interview. My main advice for anyone doing the test would be to practice the 40 shuttle runs again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

From a personal point of view I was very unfit and have been training since I got the call for the interview. My main advice for anyone doing the test would be to practice the 40 shuttle runs again and again.

Thanks ,i was very unfit myself and started training aswell but lost interest with it for one reason or another ,me thinks its time to buck myself up and get back at it.;) The rowing machine is great for d leg muscles , a must have for the shuttle runs :D FEEL THE BURN:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnnyk11

i passed test on fri was dreadin the thing all week.i done trainin for d 40 shuttle runs.personally i think any1 who hasnt done test yet should train 4 d runs cause its alot harder then it sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

I was in the first group on friday, and the governor of beladd met with us when we arrived and said that after we pass the physical (which was friday), the course will be starting in 3/4 weeks. This will be filled by the people who passed on friday. There was people from the 07 & 08 group at the physical when i was there. I also heard from a person within the top end of the service, that the next day for physicals will be the 11th of June or there abouts. And the people who pass this will be in the next class (sept/oct), as they would have enough people who passed to fill a class from the tests on friday last. I unfortunately didnt pass the 600m, so have to wait till the next call for physicals. Which isnt really fair, seen as you can repeat the strength tests, the carrying test etc... on the ame day if you fail,(you get two chances) but you arent allowed to repeat the 600m shuttles on the same day. Which means i have missed out on being in the first group to start the training. Thats my little rant done with now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

user1999 wrote: »
    I was in the first group on friday, and the governor of beladd met with us when we arrived and said that after we pass the physical (which was friday), the course will be starting in 3/4 weeks. This will be filled by the people who passed on friday. There was people from the 07 & 08 group at the physical when i was there. I also heard from a person within the top end of the service, that the next day for physicals will be the 11th of June or there abouts. And the people who pass this will be in the next class (sept/oct), as they would have enough people who passed to fill a class from the tests on friday last. I unfortunately didnt pass the 600m, so have to wait till the next call for physicals. Which isnt really fair, seen as you can repeat the strength tests, the carrying test etc... on the ame day if you fail,(you get two chances) but you arent allowed to repeat the 600m shuttles on the same day. Which means i have missed out on being in the first group to start the training. Thats my little rant done with now!!!

Very useful post...

Sorry to hear you didn't make the cut on the shuttle runs...The dream ain't over, its just been put on the long finger..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hotter

user1999 wrote: »
    I have heard once they get the funding they will look to take on everyone who past the pct in early june

Advertisement