Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Hi all- my partner is in the PS since last august. the recruitment process is B/S - but if you get the job at least you'll be used to it. You will more than likely be put in one prison at first and you will be expected at the drop of a hat to go to another ie. 24 hrs notice:eek:. You may be put on mon- fri or 12 hour shifts. you can decide which suits with the overtime you HAVE to do-your time off will be minimal anyway.(they'll tell you 'great time off on shift') - more B/S. i have been told that any new recruits will have the option to do the college course 24k+rent a year or NOT to do college course 21K+rent:( (i think). My partner said without a doubt he would'nt do the course and do without the money. LOTS of work involved in it-coming home from 12 hr shift and then tryin to write 2000 word essay:eek:. Anyway thought i'd give my views on it all. By the way he loves the job itself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 theirishlad

hey,
    i done the physical test on friday and passed it.by the sounds of it on here we could be getting in soon.im wondering will we get 4weeks notice because i like alot of people will have to give notice to there jobs.i need to give 4weeks.do yous think we will be told 4weeks in advance of starting this job???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

hey,
    i done the physical test on friday and passed it.by the sounds of it on here we could be getting in soon.im wondering will we get 4weeks notice because i like alot of people will have to give notice to there jobs.i need to give 4weeks.do yous think we will be told 4weeks in advance of starting this job???
    I dont mean to be negative but you will be lucky to get 4 days notice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

hey,

4 weeks is probably not very likely. There would appear to be very little consistency over the years with how much notice you get. Even go back near the start of this thread. Some people had 3 months notice others a week. It would seem to be very unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

There's no consistency whatsoever in anything the Prison Service does. How it works is a call comes form Finance that there has been clearance for X amount of Recruits .IPS gets in a flutter then and calls people from list and see's when they are able to start. If they get enough to start as soon as possible then they'll have a class starting on that date. Its as disorganised as that. The classes are rushed in because Finance might pull funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Hi Hotter,

Did the Gov say how many were starting or how many were leaving the IPS. I heard 2 classes of 40 ?. Did he mention was their going to be any more interviews this year im in the early 400. Getting well p***ed off with the waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hotter

macroman29 wrote: »
    Hi Hotter,

Did the Gov say how many were starting or how many were leaving the IPS. I heard 2 classes of 40 ?. Did he mention was their going to be any more interviews this year im in the early 400. Getting well p***ed off with the waiting.
    In the past they have interviewed most if not all of the panels. As for when you will be called for interview it is hard to tell due to the current economic climate. You could be called in a few months or a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fedor.2

anyone know if new recruits are really been givin the option of not doing the hccc course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

fedor.2 wrote: »
    anyone know if new recruits are really been givin the option of not doing the hccc course

Ya as far as the gossip going they will have the option to decline to do it - but wage will reflect this:(

Heard during the week 40 to start in 2 weeks time!:)

I rang the IPS yesterday. Spoke to really nice guy.He not able to give any indication when anyone will be taken on. He did say though that they would not be told until the last minute.As he put it they are the 2nd last to know and we are the last.

Apparently about half of the clearances are back and they are trying to get the rest sorted. He said they would phone anyone being taken on and try to give them as much notice as possible but the way it works in there that is not always possible. This more or less echoes what other posters here have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 limerickguy

does anyone know what the pass rate was on Friday for the and are you sitting down or lying down for the bench press?

does anyone know what the pass rate was on Friday for the and are you sitting down or lying down for the bench press?

Sitting. Its a kind of rowing machine that is used.

No idea of pass rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fedor.2

if its true dat you can opt out of the hccc course,the training and job itself will be a much more enjoyable experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnnyk11

is any one else getting very annoyed with this whole process.passed the physical last week and its like bein back to square one no one bothers telling us anything and now were back waiting again its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

johnnyk11 wrote: »
    is any one else getting very annoyed with this whole process.passed the physical last week and its like bein back to square one no one bothers telling us anything and now were back waiting again its a joke.

I coming to my wits end, and really need to know when we are going in, its very unfair, does anyone know if there is a class in beladd at the moment and their finish date??

Then add 2 weeks onto that for the place to be cleared for us and we should start then !

if we knew when the current (if there is one) are finished we could get our bearings!!

I coming to my wits end, and really need to know when we are going in, its very unfair, does anyone know if there is a class in beladd at the moment and their finish date??

Then add 2 weeks onto that for the place to be cleared for us and we should start then !

if we knew when the current (if there is one) are finished we could get our bearings!!

Congrats on passing the physical. You must of been delighted after the worry you had about the shuttles. Glad it worked out for you.

From information on this thread a class started at the begining of march. Apparently alot of people did not show up so the numbers were reduced.
    They would be finished by now so it wont be that holding us up.

I know its a pain and believe me I am dying to get started but we just have to be patient. We have waited over a year to get to the interview stage. In 3 months we have done everything else and are hopefully just waiting on the call to start. I cant see it being too much longer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

Cheers taxi, delighted,

Well, 9 weeks means that they were well finished now, but i remember being there on the day (friday), and the car park was empty, didn't see any (maybe 1or2) lads in uniform, so i presume the place was empty.

Kind wanna know when, as i want get out of this job and book myself a holiday! hahah have not been on 1 in 6 years , as trying to keep this boat afloat !!

Once we know, many of us can settle and begin to prepare for the 9 weeks, i have been reading down through the thread and some lads were waiting months.

THE WAITING GAME IS A KILLER !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

I know the feeling , Im self employed and have about 10 days work ahead of meself , have'nt taken anything else on , just want to get a holiday squeezed in before it starts .I do believe though ( hunch ) really that we might hear something next week.

The second class @ 11 am on the friday ....all passes 9 out of nine.

The guy doing it said it was the first class ever not to have a fail but would take that with a pinch

martingore wrote: »
    I know the feeling , Im self employed and have about 10 days work ahead of meself , have'nt taken anything else on , just want to get a holiday squeezed in before it starts .I do believe though ( hunch ) really that we might hear something next week.

I have a similar feeling. I actually had a feeling that we would be starting on the 14th of June. Dont know why, just something told me. Lets hope we are both right. ;)
    martingore wrote: »
    The second class @ 11 am on the friday ....all passes 9 out of nine.

The guy doing it said it was the first class ever not to have a fail but would take that with a pinch

We went in the 1st group at 11 and there were 2 fails from our 9. Thats 16/18 from the 11am group. Decent pass rate

• Advertisement

So if two groups of nine were there (18). How many groups were there on Friday? Sure there must have been more groups if the numbers went up to 80 plus?

So if two groups of nine were there (18). How many groups were there on Friday? Sure there must have been more groups if the numbers went up to 80 plus?

There was 18 people there for 11am. We were split into 2 groups of 9

There was a group at 8am. No idea how many were in this group.

As far as I know .. three groups of 20 . 8 am ..11 am... and 3pm .There was 18 at the 11 am so I can only guess that there was 2 no shows.Im sure someone else here can verify this .

ThAt would make more sence. If you think about the people that failed the medical, that don't want the job or have other plans etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnnyk11

i was in the 3 o clock group and there was about 14 in it 3 people failed.there was another group after us aswell with about the same amount of people

Out of thw 240 that was interviewed how many will get through all parts ie. interviews medical, audio, pct. I heard it could be as little as 90 ?. anyone heard differ.

When you are writing your report during the interview stage is the report on your group task of on a DVD you watch.

When you are writing your report during the interview stage is the report on your group task of on a DVD you watch.

Its of a DVD you watch.

Thanks Taxipete29,

Have you heard that they expect to have only 80 candidates from the 240 that got interviewed in feb ?. 140 got through interview but people are dropping off having failed medical, audio, pct, security clearance, have you heard anything?.

• Advertisement

Thanks Taxipete29,

Have you heard that they expect to have only 80 candidates from the 240 that got interviewed in feb ?. 140 got through interview but people are dropping off having failed medical, audio, pct, security clearance, have you heard anything?.

Have heard nothing. Anyone who failed the PCT last week gets another go so they are not out of it. I am crossing my fingers and toes for some good news this week.

Advertisement