Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

portumna wrote: »
    Didn't get my letter for the PCT today so i rang the IPS there and was told the letter will be in the post this week, should have it by Wednesday. I'm in on the 11th at 11. Here's hoping i don't drag this out any longer for myself like i have been doing already!

I placed in the early 80s but when i rang today they couldn't tell me if i would be called just to keep an eye on the post on Wednesday and to ring back if no letter .
    Thats weird cos i thought i would be told obviously they have a list of who is been called like portumna got time and date and i got the long finger as usual:mad:

Best of luck Portumna i'd say you're chomping at the bit to get it over with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 phillips

user1999 wrote: »
    Well i got the dates off people in the top end of the training and recruit section. They were the ones that told me early last week that i would be getting a letter to do the re-test for the PCT on the 11th, and i recieved the letter confirming that today. They havent put me wrong yet.

But dont give your notice till you recieve written confirmation of that......Anything could happen, especially with the croke park deal thingy looming!!!

4 seconds, that was harsh. I thought they could of informed us more on where we were and how many more shuttles were left a bit more. At least you know what to expect and can sail it. Failing it by 4 secs, you don't have much to do - best of luck!
    Fair play to ur resources, handy to have some sort of guidance on where we are! Does anyone know if the security clearance are back yet, so that wont delay us further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

phillips wrote: »
    4 seconds, that was harsh. I thought they could of informed us more on where we were and how many more shuttles were left a bit more. At least you know what to expect and can sail it. Failing it by 4 secs, you don't have much to do - best of luck!
    Fair play to ur resources, handy to have some sort of guidance on where we are! Does anyone know if the security clearance are back yet, so that wont delay us further?

I was told last week at least half of them were back and they were trying to get the rest back asap.

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    I was told last week at least half of them were back and they were trying to get the rest back asap.

Thats great to hear - relief!! At least we seem to be moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

darkmark79 wrote: »
    I placed in the early 80s but when i rang today they couldn't tell me if i would be called just to keep an eye on the post on Wednesday and to ring back if no letter .
    Thats weird cos i thought i would be told obviously they have a list of who is been called like portumna got time and date and i got the long finger as usual:mad:

Best of luck Portumna i'd say you're chomping at the bit to get it over with.

I'd presume the reason he told me was that i missed out on the last PCT cause i was made go do the step test which i was not happy and made my feelings known to the IPS and the CMO on the day. Sailed through the step test which justified my anger at being made do it. By the looks of it the people who have already heard about the PCT are either from the 07 panel, repeats from the last day or people from the step test that should have been in the original PCT. Just look oput for the post on Wednesday i'd presume they are going to call the next 30 or 40 on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

hi, im a prison officer for last 5 years just reading yer posts and seeing ye have intense physicals to pass. what a joke. ye will get the job and realise most officers are far from fit !!! if anything expect to put on weight in the coming years after joining unless you have good will power. what these fitness tests are for i really dont know as you will seldom be under physical pressure for more than a few minutes, its a joke. can i ask what pay structure new recruits will be on i.e. rent allowance, yearly pay and how many yeras service will ye have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

th hen wrote: »
    hi, im a prison officer for last 5 years just reading yer posts and seeing ye have intense physicals to pass. what a joke. ye will get the job and realise most officers are far from fit !!! if anything expect to put on weight in the coming years after joining unless you have good will power. what these fitness tests are for i really dont know as you will seldom be under physical pressure for more than a few minutes, its a joke. can i ask what pay structure new recruits will be on i.e. rent allowance, yearly pay and how many yeras service will ye have to do.

The most frank answer we can give you for this one is we dont have a clue. few rumours that our salary has been cut but when we applied for the posistion it was advertised as 24k salary with rent allowance and 8% operational allowance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

even if you were promised 24k and they want to reduce it they will just reduce it because they know people will accept it because of the current climate. anyone from outside dublin or west of the shannon factor in that you could be in dublin for at least 5 years and paying rent up there. the job has gone so crappy since i joined i truely feel for anyone joining because ya expect great things and then realise you spend most your days being bored out of your head and treated badly by prisoners and worse by management. when ya join the prison service your job is meant to be your life !!! this new deal the government is trying to bring in wants us to work an extra 26 days a year for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 bano12

user1999 wrote: »
    Got a letter today in the post about the retest for the PCT. Am booked in for 8am on the 11th June. Fingers crossed!!!! (oh and i am from the 2008 panel)
    I heard only one girl out of 9 girls got through on the 21st May, so cant have her being on her own!!!
    Bring on the 11th!!!!
    quick question to anyone who has done the shuttle runs.. do you have to touch each line/marker with your hand or just with your foot each run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

LoanShark wrote: »
    I was talking to a serving officer last night, and he told things are going to happen VERY SOON..He said three prisons are severly under staffed and they need to be sorted out soon....

I'm waiting on my letter for my physical.....I finished 150 on the panel..

Let us know if you get called for the pct.i finished in the 140's so i should be called around the same time as you.i phoned the ips last week but they could not tell me if i would be in the next test because they have to follow the order of merit on the panel and also test the rest of the last from 07 and the repeats.i hope they call us soon.best of luck to anyone who is in on the 11th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

th hen wrote: »
    even if you were promised 24k and they want to reduce it they will just reduce it because they know people will accept it because of the current climate. anyone from outside dublin or west of the shannon factor in that you could be in dublin for at least 5 years and paying rent up there. the job has gone so crappy since i joined i truely feel for anyone joining because ya expect great things and then realise you spend most your days being bored out of your head and treated badly by prisoners and worse by management. when ya join the prison service your job is meant to be your life !!! this new deal the government is trying to bring in wants us to work an extra 26 days a year for free.

Can you give us more insight into the job .? do the prisoners give the officers loads of grief ? Whats the daily grind like in the prisons ?

bano12 wrote: »
    quick question to anyone who has done the shuttle runs.. do you have to touch each line/marker with your hand or just with your foot each run?

Just your foot mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jen_cokes

some one said earlier that only one girl got through from the 8am group, im the only girl that got through the 11am group, lets hope the rest make it the 2nd try, need to get a bit of women power going on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

How far down the order of merit are the now ?. How many of a panel do they expect to have form the 240 after all is complete ie. medical through to pct.

jen_cokes wrote: »
    some one said earlier that only one girl got through from the 8am group, im the only girl that got through the 11am group, lets hope the rest make it the 2nd try, need to get a bit of women power going on!!

She actually said that she heard only one girl got through, so that means your on your own at moment jen. Lets hope the others get through on the repeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnnyk11

best of luck to any one doing the repeat on the 11th at least yous no wat to expect now anyway.thats good news about the start date on 14th or 16th but wont believe it till we get letter do hopefully wont be waitin much longer do1

No letter yet.
    Anyone else get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

got mine last friday but i'm off the 07 panel ,only security cleared last week .

No letter yet.
    Anyone else get one?

Was told the letter wouldn't arrive until Wednesday so don't fret just yet. I'd say they're only bein posted today!

Was told the letter wouldn't arrive until Wednesday so don't fret just yet. I'd say they're only bein posted today!

I know i know just cant help been a bit anxious now ,its getting a bit closer each week.

• Advertisement

I know i know just cant help been a bit anxious now ,its getting a bit closer each week.

I honestly dont know how some of the guys waiting for the guards do it. Some have everything done for nearly 2 years and still not in. I only have it done a couple of weeks and I am getting impatient.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

I honestly dont know how some of the guys waiting for the guards do it. Some have everything done for nearly 2 years and still not in. I only have it done a couple of weeks and I am getting impatient.

My best mate has everything done 2 years now, he just gave up after 7 8 months and stopped thinkin bout it!!

My best mate has everything done 2 years now, he just gave up after 7 8 months and stopped thinkin bout it!!

You would have to or else you would go nuts.

She actually said that she heard only one girl got through, so that means your on your own at moment jen. Lets hope the others get through on the repeat

I was in the 8am group and one girl did pass. So jen, you're not on your own:)

Have the letter in hand! Confirmed 11am on the 11th. I love my postman for delivering early so i didn't have the long wait for work to finish.

Have the letter in hand! Confirmed 11am on the 11th. I love my postman for delivering early so i didn't have the long wait for work to finish.

Happy days ,mine came this morning too.
    Same as yourself 11am on 11th.
    After getting this far i better not cock it up:D
    Best of luck to everyone attending next Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

Does anyone know how far up the list they are going for the pct on the 11th.

Well done guys. Best of luck, now its time to bring it home

jason99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how far up the list they are going for the pct on the 11th.

I think up to 70 were called last time so i imagine similar numbers this time.

• Advertisement

I think up to 70 were called last time so i imagine similar numbers this time.

But this time they have repeats from the last PCT, the last few from the 07 campaign and the poor souls that had to do the step test so i wouldn't imagine it wouldn't go as far as 140!

Advertisement