Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Crocop legend

youngsam wrote: »
    I am placed 96. We have obviously scored the same points. The next person would be place 98 if there are not more on 96. I guess thats how it works. Hoping for letter for PCT today, fed up with all the waiting!!
    Maybe so,goin to ring ips just incase.Would be just my luck you would get a letter and I would be overlooked!been that type of year so far!let me know if you get a letter today.Thanks

johnnyk11 wrote: »
    Got a phone call aswell yesterday delighted is an under statement.well done to every one else who got one we wil be seeing each other very soon.Does any one no how long training actually goes on for .I hav heard 9 weeks and 6 weeks
    its 9 johnny,7 weeks and 2 weeks jail experience,unless they've cut it like everything else!!!'

darkmark79 wrote: »
    Happy days ,mine came this morning too.
    Same as yourself 11am on 11th.
    After getting this far i better not cock it up:D
    Best of luck to everyone attending next Friday.
    Hey darkman,any idea what number it's up to now who's gotten a letter bout the pct?if yer 82 and i'm in the 90's it must be coming close for me too now.No letter came yesterday unfortunately and i'm 99% one isnt gonna come today.Be nice to know what number it stopped at so at leat i'll know there's 5,6,7,8,9 ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Hey darkman,any idea what number it's up to now who's gotten a letter bout the pct?if yer 82 and i'm in the 90's it must be coming close for me too now.No letter came yesterday unfortunately and i'm 99% one isnt gonna come today.Be nice to know what number it stopped at so at leat i'll know there's 5,6,7,8,9 ahead of me.

Dude i haven't a clue cos when i rang ips on monday they couldn't even tell me if i was getting a letter i'd say your best bet is to just ring and find out for definite.
    With the repeats and candidates from 07 were not sure where the cut off is,Ring Jason Keogh in ips and he should be able to tell u -pm no. to u.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

Does anybody know the size of the class starting june 14 th?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

martingore wrote: »
    Does anybody know the size of the class starting june 14 th?

Well 41 passed the PCT on the 21st may. Usually class sizes are 40. Sometimes they take two classes together. So that would be 80.
    But id say by the looks of it, it will be a class of 40 starting on the 14th June. People doing the PCT on the 11th, i would hardly think they would be offered to start on the 14th. To short notice, but then again, everything has been so far!!!!

cheers for that .I wondering has everyone received their phonecall or is it a still an ongoing process.I was in the first pct group and passed .

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey Lads i got my letter today for the pct on fri . My number was 107 .

Strangely enough my bmi in my medical was 32 but there was no mention of a step test or anything . Im not too worried about it though ive been training hard so BRING IT ON .

Best of luck to everyone going froward . Hopefully ill be seeing you all in Portlaois soon enough

Got a letter today too for june 11th at 2pm in beladd house.Was due to fly away for a wedding tomorrow for 9 days so going to see what the story is with it,chances are i'll have to cancel going to the wedding.Sick!Wonder is there a possibility of getting the pct date changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Mick990 wrote: »
    Hey Lads i got my letter today for the pct on fri . My number was 107 .

Strangely enough my bmi in my medical was 32 but there was no mention of a step test or anything . Im not too worried about it though ive been training hard so BRING IT ON .

Best of luck to everyone going froward . Hopefully ill be seeing you all in Portlaois soon enough

Fair play to you but this is the BS that really gets on my nerves with the whole selection process. My BMI was 31.9 and i was made go in and do the step test. Because of this i couldn't do the first PCT even though i was placed 11th after the interview. Then i miss out on being in the first class called, basically i'm dropped 30 places in the order of merit because of some ridiculous BMI chart that is completely inadequate in guaging body fat of physically active people! Rant over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 NOVICE-REFURB

its 9 johnny,7 weeks and 2 weeks jail experience,unless they've cut it like everything else!!!'

After the 2 weeks jail experience, what happens then? are we assigned to a station ???

After the 2 weeks jail experience, what happens then? are we assigned to a station ???

SORRY SORRY PRISON HAHAHAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭dorothymantooth

hey guys i passed the pct on 21st of may but havent been called for this class. just gettin a bit worried about the amount of people that they are actually taking on? i was placed 50 after interview, am i wrong to be getting my hopes up about definately being called if there is a class in july?? also wondering if the place numbers mean anything or is it just a case of whoever gets security clearance the quickest is called

Could anyone who did the last pct tell me how long it took to do,i have to arrange a babysitter:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

darkmark79 wrote: »
    Could anyone who did the last pct tell me how long it took to do,i have to arrange a babysitter:confused:

Wont take more than two hours/two and a half hours. And that includes everthing from the PCT, to trying on the uniforms etc...
    I was the 8am class on the 21st and we got delayed with medical forms clearances and all, but still got out by half 10.

user1999 wrote: »
    Wont take more than two hours/two and a half hours. And that includes everthing from the PCT, to trying on the uniforms etc...
    I was the 8am class on the 21st and we got delayed with medical forms clearances and all, but still got out by half 10.

Thanks for that good to know it wont take too long after all.

hey guys i passed the pct on 21st of may but havent been called for this class. just gettin a bit worried about the amount of people that they are actually taking on? i was placed 50 after interview, am i wrong to be getting my hopes up about definately being called if there is a class in july?? also wondering if the place numbers mean anything or is it just a case of whoever gets security clearance the quickest is called

I was talking to them today and its soley based on the garda clearance coming back .As soon as they get them , they should be ringing you.It could be anywhere up until friday next week .

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Well done to everybody that got the call and good luks to all who have a pct retest. Anybody hear when they hope to have more interviews ?. Im in the early 400's. If they take 2 x 40 classes the will surely interview in the summer.

lads,

can we do a count on how many of us on here got the call ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jen_cokes

i got the call to start on the 14th aswell..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

congrats on all who got the job. you will have fun in beladd house. just don't take them too seriously. what you learn in the classroom and in the jail are two different things!
    i can't believe all the fuss about the tests. for god sake like you are going to be working with slobs of lads with last weeks curry down their tops. but they are looking for a new breed - an educated one that goes to college :P

i myself am in the job 4 years so if you want any questions answered shoot and i will try and answer as best as i can within reason of course because of security measures. you all have a nice day now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Usual procedure is 2 weeks in Beladd, 2 weeks in a prison (Usually Dublin), back to Beladd then for the remaining 5 weeks. That however can change depending on how many clouds are in the sky on any given day!!!

The only certainty to anything in the Prison Service is that nothing is certain..

Congrats to all those that made it, I hope it's the right choice for you.
    For a lot of people, when you get there and get to start working in a Prison it's a nerve wracking experience. It's not unusual (in fact it's very very common) for people to wonder " What in the name of **** am I doing here.." Don't forget that every single person that you're working with has gone through the exact same thing and can relate to how you're feeling. If you are apprehensive/nervous/unsure talk to some of the older lads and let them know, particularly those with a few years service. They will guide you and assist you if needs be.
    There's a great camaraderie amongst the staff but along with that comes a tendency to slag each other unmercifully. To an outsider this sometimes comes across as abuse but it rarely is. You'll learn to give and take it and you'll also start to understand 'Jail Humour'. It's a bit like The Ambulance/Fire Brigade in that you do tend to develop a fairly sick sense of humour in relation to things that you see and do. Some of the things that may shock you now you'll laugh at later on.

I started in Mountjoy and spent a good number of years there and loved it. Now in Cork and love that too even if it is a bit quieter. It's a grand job once you get into it and most of you will love it when you do. The fall out rate is extremely low after the first year or two so give yourself a bit of time to adapt and you'll be fine.

Good luck again to all of you

P.S....Feel free to PM me if there's anything that you'd like to know or are unsure about anything at any time whether in Beladd or on the job.

oh yeah just when i said i'd help the rookies. typical jailer ;)

oh yeah just when i said i'd help the rookies. typical jailer ;)

That's a good Jail username you have there horse!!!

Now go back over the thread, all 110 pages and you'll find that i've been here for a while...

Back in your box ROOK :D

lol i can't be arsed looking back over all them pages!

don't you be pulling rank on me old man. back in your box and touch on :P

lol @ bitterlemon and twowheelsonly

a sense of humour is a must :)

lol i can't be arsed looking back over all them pages!

don't you be pulling rank on me old man. back in your box and touch on :P

And I have the rank as well... ;) (But just a little one...)

Typical jailer.... cant be arsed... :rolleyes:

well fair play for you boys coming on here and being helpful

• Advertisement

martingore wrote: »
    well fair play for you boys coming on here and being helpful
    oi i'm a girl! twowheelonly would call me a sheeser probably :rolleyes:
    you're welcome though sweetie :)

Advertisement