Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

Best of luck to everyone and congratulations to those who are starting up soon.....rang the ips today coz i think im in the next batch, i placed 296th, the guy said that they may be starting interviewing again for the 3rd batch so anyone around that range hopfully things will get moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

hit_killer wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone and congratulations to those who are starting up soon.....rang the ips today coz i think im in the next batch, i placed 296th, the guy said that they may be starting interviewing again for the 3rd batch so anyone around that range hopfully things will get moving again.

Thats a good bit of info..I hope its right..I'm in the mid 100's of the current batch... and am still waiting on a call for a PCT..Hopefully it'll not be long now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Passed the PCT earlier and am just after getting the call to start on Monday. Had to turn it down but was told i'll be starting on 12th July. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

portumna wrote: »
    Passed the PCT earlier and am just after getting the call to start on Monday. Had to turn it down but was told i'll be starting on 12th July. Happy days!

Congratulations Portumna, It was worth the wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 limerickguy

Well done portumna, what was the pass rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

I managed to pass today myself , congrats to all who passed and commiserations to those who didn't make it have faith and you'll get it next time.
    Just got a call to start on monday myself, thinking i'll take it but all depends if we can sort out a babysitter.

Well done portumna, what was the pass rate?

15 out 18 passed the morning group and 9 out of 10 passed our group. I don't know how many out of the 10 after us passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Well done to everyone who passed. Can't believe its all out of the way now.
    For anyone who didn't reach the required standard at least you know what to expect next time and you can work on it.
    Hopefully we won't be waiting too long to get the call

portumna wrote: »
    15 out 18 passed the morning group and 9 out of 10 passed our group. I don't know how many out of the 10 after us passed.

Hey portumna. Congrats on getting the call.
    One person out of the second group at 11 failed.

darkmark79 wrote: »
    I managed to pass today myself , congrats to all who passed and commiserations to those who didn't make it have faith and you'll get it next time.
    Just got a call to start on monday myself, thinking i'll take it but all depends if we can sort out a babysitter.

Congrats Darkmark,

Happened sooner than you thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

What number were you darkmark?

Congrats Darkmark,

Happened sooner than you thought.
    Thanks bud still in a state of shock.

martingore wrote: »
    What number were you darkmark?

Hi Martin i was placed 82 .
    I think i was rang cos on d form we filled out this morning it asked how much notice was required and i wrote none because i'm at home at d mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Well done all, must be great to get the call to go on monday, I was kinda hoping that would happen cos I'm in the next pct which will hopefully be before the 12th of july. Hopefully they will need more to fill that next class.

Did mondays posse get their contracts after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Congrats to all who passed. Hopefully anyone who failed last time out managed to get through.

Portumna thats great news about the 12th. Its alot easier to wait when you know its definatly happening.

Darkmark, with a bit of luck we will see you Monday.

For those starting on Monday, I was speaking to the IPS today and it will be in or around the 9th of July before we will be paid our first wages. Its something to do with the forms not going to be in time. Just to give you the heads-up

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey lads i passed today thank god.

I was in the 2 o clock group and im pretty sure everyone passed out of it . One lad got a call while we were finishing up to ask him if he wanted to start Monday which makes me wonder have a fair few dropped out of that class ??

My advice to anyone getting ready for the pct is to practice your shuttle runs also try do lots of squats to help your leg strength its not the running that wrecks you its the constant turns

Congrats to everyone who passed today not long left now peeps

• Registered Users Posts: 28 limerickguy

when your doing the shuttle runs, are you running around a conr or is it from line to line? And are you doing it in a group?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 youngsam

Did the PCT at 2.00pm today. Everybody passed. Also got a call to start on Monday but had to turn it down. Not enough notice. Looking forward to the 12th of July though. Well done everyone today.

when your doing the shuttle runs, are you running around a conr or is it from line to line? And are you doing it in a group?

From line to line. 5 people do it at a time

youngsam wrote: »
    Did the PCT at 2.00pm today. Everybody passed. Also got a call to start on Monday but had to turn it down. Not enough notice. Looking forward to the 12th of July though. Well done everyone today.
    Congrats youngsam. Hopefully i'll get a call soon. So happy to have the pct out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

Congrats to everyone who passed yesterday.:) Best of luck to everyone starting on Monday

does anyone know when the next PCT will be because I should be defo called for that one(hopefully)!!!!!!

Congrats to everyone who passed yesterday.:) Best of luck to everyone starting on Monday

does anyone know when the next PCT will be because I should be defo called for that one(hopefully)!!!!!!

The next class is due to start on 12th July so i'd presume there'll be a PCT before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

Nice one portumna,I'm placed 108 so I should be called for the next PCT and was hoping that the 12th of July class wasn't filled yet!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭dorothymantooth

hi, i passed the PCT in may and was placed 50 after the interview. im getting a bit worried now about not getting a call when some people who were placed higher were called straight away and asked to start:(

hi, i passed the PCT in may and was placed 50 after the interview. im getting a bit worried now about not getting a call when some people who were placed higher were called straight away and asked to start:(

Maybe your clearance is not back yet?? Give the IPS a buzz on Monday, im sure they will be happy to let you know

I dont know what the story is with the ips cos i was asking Jason Keogh after we completed our pct how many had security clearance and he said he hadn't got them all back yet so i'd take Petes advice and ring them first thing on Monday morning.

We heard on Friday that all the places had been filled out of the 8am group so it was a big shock to have them ringing .
    I think the very short notice didn't suit everyone.

I dont know what the story is with the ips cos i was asking Jason Keogh after we completed our pct how many had security clearance and he said he hadn't got them all back yet so i'd take Petes advice and ring them first thing on Monday morning.

We heard on Friday that all the places had been filled out of the 8am group so it was a big shock to have them ringing .
    I think the very short notice didn't suit everyone.

You gonna start on Monday??

I think so Pete ,we spent all day trying to find a childminder for our 3 boys at such short notice but one came back to us this evening and said she will take them so roll on Monday.

Got the contract today in an email its very vague on allowances and im not sure what to make of (
    Part of the training course will involve role orientation which may be at any Institution which will be classed as your home station during that period. This placement will be for a period of one week and you will have to make your own travel and accommodation arrangements at your own expense. )Dont like the sound of that .

I think so Pete ,we spent all day trying to find a childminder for our 3 boys at such short notice but one came back to us this evening and said she will take them so roll on Monday.

Got the contract today in an email its very vague on allowances and im not sure what to make of (
    Part of the training course will involve role orientation which may be at any Institution which will be classed as your home station during that period. This placement will be for a period of one week and you will have to make your own travel and accommodation arrangements at your own expense. )Dont like the sound of that .

Yeah little or nothing about allowances. I assume we will find out more about these during training.

Maybe a serving officer can advise us if the week placement is usually in a Dublin prison or can you literally be sent anywhere??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

It's usually (almost exclusively) in a Dublin jail (i have heard of a day or two in Midlands but think that was only to provide cover for an officer's funeral and also to cover reserve duty due to low staffing levels but was strictly stand and observe) so you can safely assume that you will be sent to one of the Dublin jails, either M'Joy, Patricks, Cloverhill or Wheatfield.

You WILL be expected to make your own way there every day and to cover all expenses (fuel, accomodation etc.). To be honest i dont know how you would expect anything else? I dunno if it has changed but it used to be TWO weeks in Dublin then back to training, are you sure it's just one week?
    if you feel it will be a problem for you financially then i suggest you dont take the job. The financial aspect of the job has been done to death on here, the money starting out is crap and going to get worse after the agreement of the deal yesterday, and it will be years of doubling up with rent and mortgage and/or long travel before it gets anyway better.
    If i was starting out now there is no way i would take the job. **** from prisoners, worse from management and worse again from government and the private sector.

Advertisement