Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

The orientation is on the same terms as your future employment, any prison, any time.

Best of luck monday lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

I wonder how the new recruits are getting on today.
    Any news for the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bonesie22

Im from the 08 recruitment, i finished 66th after the interview stage and done my physical last friday which i passed. I rang ips and <mod snip> rang me back saying im waiting on security clearence before i can be offered the job, theres nothing that can be done about it to hurry it up or anything, all i can do is wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Julius32

Hey guys,

The next PCT is arranged for July 2nd!!! And a class commences on July 12th

Does anybody know what the take home pay is with increments, allowances and overtime for a Recruit??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 limerickguy

how do you know that julius?

I called them and asked Limerick as I have had my medical and I have been security cleared!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

what happened to all the new recuits that started on monday, do they not want to use this site any more? At least give us a heads up and let us know what to expect

I'd say 1 of 2 things happened.

1. They are just so laden with the workload that they don't have a minute to spare,

or

2. They've been having drinking bonding sessions each evening to get to know each other.

Hey portumna, with the world cup on... My guess is that it's the second one

That would be my guess too cause if it was the 1st one they'd be on here in a heart beat giving out about it telling us not to take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sandyo

what happened to all the new recuits that started on monday, do they not want to use this site any more? At least give us a heads up and let us know what to expect

theres a reason why new recruits aren't on this PUBLIC website- u'll understand when ye start training yourselves. best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 spursfan79

the next pct is on the 2 of july, u correct juilius so you are probably right about a class starting on the 12 july.

has anyone got some feedback on how the training goin now???there was loads of guys on here who got into the last class and no word since.....obviously they under pressure but any info would be much apprieciated...thanks guys

ps. im in the 120's and told ill be in for next pct if that helps anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

You are told when you join the IPS that you are not allowed to post info on public sites. thats why any of the ones that start last week havnt been posting. Anyone can see these pages, and any info posted could be given to the wrong hands. Harmless as it may be, but its a fact. when you start you will be told this. Word of warning, always keep the info brief, and never reveal to much info about yourself and never reveal anything that may have an effect on sercurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

spursfan79 wrote: »
    the next pct is on the 2 of july, u correct juilius so you are probably right about a class starting on the 12 july.

ps. im in the 120's and told ill be in for next pct if that helps anyone

Just wondering where did you hear about the next PCT being confirmed on that date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

I rang and while a date was not confirmed, i was told to get training, pct will deffo be before 12th in order to fill a class. They are pushing to get it done asap to give people a chance to make arrangements.

Of the 100 odd tested so far, 38 have started so the rest of the next class has pretty much been filled with the rest of the places more than likely going to those who are repeating part of the pct. Anyone doing the pct for the first time will have to wait for a further class.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

wexfjord wrote: »
    Of the 100 odd tested so far, 38 have started so the rest of the next class has pretty much been filled with the rest of the places more than likely going to those who are repeating part of the pct. Anyone doing the pct for the first time will have to wait for a further class.

If the next class is already filled,does anyone know when the next class might be starting coz I'll defo be called to the next PCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jason99

I guess letters for the pct should be out this week.
    fingers crossed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 limerickguy

Last time Jason they got about ten days notice, so if there is a pct on the 2nd, one would think you will have you letter by Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brackenltd

hi only new to boards.ie could any1 tell me bout the fitness test for the prison service ??? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Crocop legend

Guys I spoke to Ips.There is a physical on july 2nd(letters will be received this week) with a class starting on july 12th in bellad in portlaoise so keep an eye out for the postman :D

brackenltd wrote: »
    hi only new to boards.ie could any1 tell me bout the fitness test for the prison service ??? thanks
    Did a pre test this morning in the gym.It really isnt hard to be honest if you have a basic fitness background.
    Runnin tests;
    (Aerobic)-40 x 15 metre shuttle runs up and back in under 210 secs 3 and a half mins
    (Anaerobic)-7 x 15 metre shuttles in under 35 secs
    (Fire Extinguisher/Carrying test)-2 x 15 metre shuttle holding a 14kg weight in under 30secs
    Strength test;
    Seated bench press-5 measured bench presses averaging 34kgs or higher
    Seated bench pull-5 measured bench pulls averaging 34kgs or higher
    Grip strength;
    Squeeze as hard as you can,2 goes on each hand
    dominant hand-min 32kg non dominant hand-min 30kg
    Shield hold;
    hold a 6kg weight in a stipulated position for a min of 60 secs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brackenltd

Did a pre test this morning in the gym.It really isnt hard to be honest if you have a basic fitness background.
    Runnin tests;
    (Aerobic)-40 x 15 metre shuttle runs up and back in under 210 secs 3 and a half mins
    (Anaerobic)-7 x 15 metre shuttles in under 35 secs
    (Fire Extinguisher/Carrying test)-2 x 15 metre shuttle holding a 14kg weight in under 30secs
    Strength test;
    Seated bench press-5 measured bench presses averaging 34kgs or higher
    Seated bench pull-5 measured bench pulls averaging 34kgs or higher
    Grip strength;
    Squeeze as hard as you can,2 goes on each hand
    dominant hand-min 32kg non dominant hand-min 30kg
    Shield hold;
    hold a 6kg weight in a stipulated position for a min of 60 secs
    fair play chap much appreciated

Postman just walked by the house again today.Anyone else get a letter?

No Letter today either guys!!!!!!

How would a person train for the strength/grip test??

Julius32 wrote: »

Strength test I would suggest going to your local gym and puttin the asked weight for pct onto the smith machine and doing a few repititions for practice,also the same on the seated back extension machine.
    For the grip test the best thing I can suggest is to hang out of the chin up bar with arms at full length and hold til failure.Keep trying this and try and improve your 'hanging' time.This will increase your grip strength and you will also be holding much more than required for the test.Piece of cake!!!!
    Hth :D

Postman just walked by the house again today.Anyone else get a letter?

The letters for the other 2 PCTs didn't arrive until the Wednesday so i wouldn't fret yet. If he walks by tomorrow then i'd be ringing the IPS.
    Julius32 wrote: »

There's no real need to train for these as anybody with enough strength to do a press up will easily pass the push and pull. As for the grip test it's just trying to squeeze 2 handles together and once again anyone with any moderate strength will sail through.

portumna wrote: »
    The letters for the other 2 PCTs didn't arrive until the Wednesday so i wouldn't fret yet. If he walks by tomorrow then i'd be ringing the IPS.

There's no real need to train for these as anybody with enough strength to do a press up will easily pass the push and pull. As for the grip test it's just trying to squeeze 2 handles together and once again anyone with any moderate strength will sail through.
    I agree portumna but if a person isn't a regular gym goer or isnt sure about their strength,it gives them piece of mind to know they are going into the pct having practiced and done these things already.

I agree portumna but if a person isn't a regular gym goer or isnt sure about their strength,it gives them piece of mind to know they are going into the pct having practiced and done these things already.

That's fair enough but from what i saw while doing the PCT i would advise the females to practise the strength and grip tests as this is where they struggled but all the males should have no trouble. Of all the males in the PCT the lowest of the push/pull was 50kg average and the lowest on the grip was 40kg.

portumna wrote: »
    That's fair enough but from what i saw while doing the PCT i would advise the females to practise the strength and grip tests as this is where they struggled but all the males should have no trouble. Of all the males in the PCT the lowest of the push/pull was 50kg average and the lowest on the grip was 40kg.
    You've done it already?cool!whats this concept II ergo metre that measures your strength?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 user1999

You've done it already?cool!whats this concept II ergo metre that measures your strength?

The concept II ergo meter, is kind of like a rowing machine in the gym. You are sitting down with your back against a support and you pull the handle towards your chest and then push it out away from you as hard as you can. There is resistance when you try to push it away. You do 3 warm up ones, and then they measure the next 4. And your strength is based on an average of the 4 pushes. The Pull strength test is the same, except you have two handles that you push away from you, and then try to pull it towards you as hard as you can. Again an average over the 4 are taken.

As mentioned above, only girls really need to practice this. (im allowed say that because im a girl!!!) The lads dont have any truoble with this at all. Again the grip test isnt something you need to practice for. No one had trouble with this. I would suggest that you practice for the shuttles mainly. And not on a treadmill. You are better off setting out 15meters on a hard surface, and doing the 40 shuttles that way. The hardest part of the shuttles is the turning. Its hard on your legs and they go to jelly. If you do this everyday (once or twice depending on your fitness) you should be ok by the test. This is where i fell down on, missed out by a few seconds. Im not unfit, but dont go to the gym, and all the rest was grand and easliy passed, it was only the shuttles that takes a bit of training.

• Advertisement

Just to add to what user1999 said above the average in the push and pull is done over 5 and not 4 but will be no hassle. I did no training for these and passed all easily.

For the shuttles i'd advise to practise on a hard surface and in a hall/gym with a timber floor if at all possible. I trained for it on grass and found turning very difficult on the timber floor on the day. I had to slow down for each turn and it adds on extra time doing this. Luckily i was pretty fit and was well under the time anyway but for people just under the time in training on grass it could be the difference between a pass and a fail.

Advertisement