Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

lozzy23 wrote: »
    there is a pre interview course been held in portlaoise tomorrow

Hey all,

anyone have a contact number or name for whoever is running this course?

Thanks;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

Yes great start to the morning alright wasn't it your wellcum ya must have good insiders, the forms are a bit daunting aren't they but at least its another step closer, i'm set for my interview for the 11th October, does anybody know how many jobs are on offer this time round or is it the same as usual. Good luck to anyone else who got there letter this morning and i'll see you there.

i made it to the medical but failed on it -- didn't think id hear again
    but lo and behold friday morning i got a letter stating that i've got called for interview on the 11th October -- haven't even heard that they were reopened and i have relatives working in the Service

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

moonbeam76 when did you go for the medical? what did you fail on? did you do the aptitude in 2008? that crowd that were doing the training were from cork, <mod snip>, have you rang them monnbeam to see what time your interview is and stuff? they dont give you a whole lot of time to get the preparation material ready for the interview has to be submitted for Friday. And also jobhunter how long was it from the time of your interview till you actually went training in Ballad?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

Salmon wrote: »
    Hey all,

anyone have a contact number or name for whoever is running this course?

Thanks;)

The only one I know of that conduct pre aptitude and interview courses are <mod snip>....as far as I know the last pre interview course they did was back in February, before the first round of interviews.

Got my interview date, 19th of October, 10.45am. Anyone else get theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 pmcb_aura

Hi

anyone know how far down the list they are calling for interview this time?

moonbeam76 when did you go for the medical? what did you fail on? did you do the aptitude in 2008? that crowd that were doing the training were from cork, <mod snip>, have you rang them monnbeam to see what time your interview is and stuff? they dont give you a whole lot of time to get the preparation material ready for the interview has to be submitted for Friday. And also jobhunter how long was it from the time of your interview till you actually went training in Ballad?

Hi Lozzy

i went for the medical in Jan 2008 - failed on my weight - rang them this morning and waiting for a call back for the date and time -
    i have all the materials ready and will upload tomorrow to the email address

hit_killer wrote: »
    Got my interview date, 19th of October, 10.45am. Anyone else get theirs?

got mine 20th oct 1215 pm - but have to be ther at 830am for the rest of the stuff -- should be all done and dusted by 2-3pm

pmcb_aura wrote: »
    Hi

anyone know how far down the list they are calling for interview this time?

i dont know how far down or at what stages they are recalling -- i didnt think i would hear again from them as i had failed the medical part of it

i went for the medical in Jan 2008 - failed on my weight - rang them this morning and waiting for a call back for the date and time -
    i have all the materials ready and will upload tomorrow to the email address[/QUOTE]

Bro you don't have to answer this if you don't want to but , what weight were you, compared to your height?? I'm barely 5'7 but I tip the scales at 17 stone but I aint all fat, been lifting weights seriously for years, and I know my bmi is over 30% (height to weight ratio).... you dont know if they do all those tests on a individual basis....

• Advertisement

Bro you don't have to answer this if you don't want to but , what weight were you, compared to your height?? I'm barely 5'7 but I tip the scales at 17 stone but I aint all fat, been lifting weights seriously for years, and I know my bmi is over 30% (height to weight ratio).... you dont know if they do all those tests on a individual basis....

hi Bro -- im actually a female :p -- my BMI was over 40 -- but ive been working hard to bring it down so fingers crossed - - i swim 3 times a week and scuba dive on a sunday --my gear weighs 21kg and i carry that from my car to the slipway -- im 5'4'' in height -- yeah they do the tests based on individual tests and also based on the some shart that they use - which i think is a bit outdated

Cool happy days, fair play to you on your workouts ...sorry about the "bro" :o....im gonna try get my weight also by do a little more cardio...running wouldn't be my strong point at all so ill have to work on it......especially that shuttle runs are involed in the physical...getting ahead of myself, just wanna get the interview first and see what happens after that...

Cool happy days, fair play to you on your workouts ...sorry about the "bro" :o....im gonna try get my weight also by do a little more cardio...running wouldn't be my strong point at all so ill have to work on it......especially that shuttle runs are involed in the physical...getting ahead of myself, just wanna get the interview first and see what happens after that...

thats no prob -- i honestly was very surprised that i got a recall but hey i dont mond -- just gonna push for strong interview and keep working on the weight loss -- so fingers crossed for us all

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

HI,

Well Done to all who got called for interview...I'm waiting on word for a class to start,Hopefully We'll get the call soon...

LoanShark wrote: »
    HI,

Well Done to all who got called for interview...I'm waiting on word for a class to start,Hopefully We'll get the call soon...

when did you sit interviews and medical ??

when did you sit interviews and medical ??

Hi,
    I did interview in Feb this year and medical and physical in june / july...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

hi moonbeam what sort of stuff do they do in the medical have never been for one before am fairly confident of my fitness for the pct but don't know about the medical part, eyesight tested hearing tested etc or what is it? thanks and well done, hopefully we'll get it this time.

hi moonbeam what sort of stuff do they do in the medical have never been for one before am fairly confident of my fitness for the pct but don't know about the medical part, eyesight tested hearing tested etc or what is it? thanks and well done, hopefully we'll get it this time.

The medical looks at weight,sight,urine,blood pressure,flexability,vision(colour balance etc.)..Its quite handy..

The PCT...Practice,Practice,Practice the shuttle runs.. Learn to run at YOUR pace and no-one elses....

The medical looks at weight,sight,urine,blood pressure,flexability,vision(colour balance etc.)..Its quite handy..

The PCT...Practice,Practice,Practice the shuttle runs.. Learn to run at YOUR pace and no-one elses....

Loanshark - i was fine the last time on everything else but the weight issue :o
    which im getting under control -- ive lost 2 stone since the 2008 interviews

shuttle runs -- will have to get someone to help me with those:(

Hi,
    I did interview in Feb this year and medical and physical in june / july...

Loan Shark - that was very quick -- you must have been superfit -- when you starting in Balladd??

• Advertisement

Loan Shark - that was very quick -- you must have been superfit -- when you starting in Balladd??

Being Superfit has nothing to do with it...The process has just moved on at that rate..

As for practiceing your shuttle runs, Just make two marks in your back yard 15m apart and run over and back...Do it first without any time just to see if you can do it, Then start timing yourself to see how you get on and see what time you can shave off......

As for starting in training, I have to wait to hear from IPS..

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Can you fail on eyesight if you wear glasses. How bad dose your blood pressure have to before you fail a medical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Being Superfit has nothing to do with it...The process has just moved on at that rate..

As for practiceing your shuttle runs, Just make two marks in your back yard 15m apart and run over and back...Do it first without any time just to see if you can do it, Then start timing yourself to see how you get on and see what time you can shave off......

As for starting in training, I have to wait to hear from IPS..

How many times do you have to run the 15 metres and back in the actual test?

macroman29 wrote: »
    Can you fail on eyesight if you wear glasses. How bad dose your blood pressure have to before you fail a medical

I was wondering about that too, I think you can wear glasses for sure, as long as your vision is not completly gone without them, as for blood pressure , again tnot too sure, I'm a little worried about that too, plus my high cholestoral.

macroman29 wrote: »

I wear contact and or glasses depending what im doing in work
    i didnt fail on the eyesight that was fine

I was wondering about that too, I think you can wear glasses for sure, as long as your vision is not completly gone without them, as for blood pressure , again tnot too sure, I'm a little worried about that too, plus my high cholestoral.

start working on getting the cholestorol down -- eat brown bread and stay off the fried food

start working on getting the cholestorol down -- eat brown bread and stay off the fried food

Lol...cheers...I think its all the red meat thats clogging me up, I am definetly cutting down though, might even drop a stone ...of cholestorol...LOL..appreciate it though yeah...:D

HI,

I wasn't trying to scare people about the medical..

Its just your basic MOT in the doctors surgery...He can't fail you,he just takes a record of all your stats and that is then sent to the chief medical officer..

If you suffer from high blood pressure,then just cut out the fat,salt and
    caffine..

You also will have to do a hearing test too..which is done by an audiologist...

How many times do you have to run the 15 metres and back in the actual test?

You do the shuttle runs 40 times in 3min 30sec..
    You do 7 sprints in 30 sec
    2 sprints carrying a fire extinguisher in 30 sec or under..
    ( I think the times are correct)

• Advertisement

I just emailed my application form yesterday evening, took me over 2 hours to complete it,...just a couple of questions maybe some of you could help me with got a bit worried when I saw the leaving cert requirments, which a barely passed, I failed Irish though but the form did say you must pass "english and/or irish"....but I should be ok yeah?

A lot of my previous employment is in the security industry, both retail and nightclub door work, some of that employment was cash in hand and off the books, would they look into that?...also..I dont have very much consistancy in terms of duration in employment, I'd do six months here or 10 months there with different security firms and doors, but that was the nature of security at the time, at the moment i've got a job in the semi state section which I have been employed for nearly 4 years, so hopefully that would show consistancy.

I guess my question is basically with the leaving certificate "English and/or Irish" requirment??....and would my patchy employment history be a deciding factor of my interview?

thanks

Advertisement