Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Plenty of over priced car parks within spitting distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

cob655 wrote: »
    best of luck to all who have had/are having their interviews,I have mine on wednesday.I tired contacting the public appointments office again today to make sure i have the right time (i know you have to be there for 8.30 anyway) and to make sure they recived my app form.
    I had another question maybe someone here will be able to help me with,does anyone know if there is any parking facilitys in the area or close to the Public appiontments office as i was thinking of driving to it.

thanks for your help.
    also if anyone has any hints or tips for stage 2 please let me know.

You could drive to the red cow Luas car park, and jump on the luas to jervis and the public apointments office is right beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 limerickguy

can anyone tell me if a class started in bellad on Monday? And how many?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod note:

Please bear the following part of the charter in mind before posting:

# You may not describe or request, in any way, details of any role plays, video clips, examinations, questionnaires, spoken word or physical task that may be used in the recruitment process of any employer.

Back on topic please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

just wondering how people were contacted about the prison officers? did ye get emails or was it through publicjobs.ie? i havnt heard anything from them yet & did the test in 2008 in portlaoise & was in the top 15%!! i know that the publicjobs website changed since then so i was just wondering that if i was to be contacted would i hav got an email???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 colt1983

Just wondering about ppl who have been called for interview stage what number ye came,I'm in the late 300's and haven't heard back about interview yet

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

lakes1985 wrote: »
    just wondering how people were contacted about the prison officers? did ye get emails or was it through publicjobs.ie? i havnt heard anything from them yet & did the test in 2008 in portlaoise & was in the top 15%!! i know that the publicjobs website changed since then so i was just wondering that if i was to be contacted would i hav got an email???

What number were you?? The first 240 were done back in Feb/March, and I believe the next 120 are interviewing at the moment.

You are contacted by post by the Public Appointment service if you are called

Hmm...when do we get our birth certs etc.. back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ebear24

:o
    lozzy23 wrote: »
    Yes great start to the morning alright wasn't it your wellcum ya must have good insiders, the forms are a bit daunting aren't they but at least its another step closer, i'm set for my interview for the 11th October, does anybody know how many jobs are on offer this time round or is it the same as usual. Good luck to anyone else who got there letter this morning and i'll see you there.

Hi Lozzy, I also had a interview on the 11th and Im just wondering have you heard anything yet??? :D I haven't but my interview was very poor,my nerves really got the better of me :confused:

ebear24 wrote: »
    :o

Hi Lozzy, I also had a interview on the 11th and Im just wondering have you heard anything yet??? :D I haven't but my interview was very poor,my nerves really got the better of me :confused:

Have to say the same thing happened to me.

I did great in all the other parts but the interview was a disaster.

• Advertisement

Have to say the same thing happened to me.

I did great in all the other parts but the interview was a disaster.

Hey, when was your interview? Its so much pressure isn't it? Have you heard anything yet? I also went for interview in 2007. I found out in 4-5days that I didnt get it....Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 29 salut

Morning all,i was wondering when you get a letter from the piublic jobs is it for the interview and then you progerss to the physicial assesment or is the physicial assesament first and then the interviews. Im 400 in order of merit and should i expect to be called before Christmas.

salut wrote: »
    Morning all,i was wondering when you get a letter from the piublic jobs is it for the interview and then you progerss to the physicial assesment or is the physicial assesament first and then the interviews. Im 400 in order of merit and should i expect to be called before Christmas.

Hi I was around 220 I had my interview on the 11th of October.... its interview first then physical.

ebear24 wrote: »
    Hey, when was your interview? Its so much pressure isn't it? Have you heard anything yet? I also went for interview in 2007. I found out in 4-5days that I didnt get it....Sorry for all the questions

My interview was last week, after sitting the exam in 2008.
    They said, not to me but to one of the guys in the same group as me, that they would contact us in the coming weeks.

And yeah, the interview was very tough.

My interview was last week, after sitting the exam in 2008.
    They said, not to me but to one of the guys in the same group as me, that they would contact us in the coming weeks.

And yeah, the interview was very tough.

Cool,well fingers crossed.. Maybe we'll be lucky :D Let me know how you get on.. I hope they dont keep us waiting to long.

Ok guys I know I keep asking this and I know I'm probably getting too far ahead of myself as I have yet to recieve the outcome of my interview, but the BMI is seriously on my mind in relation to the medical. I have dropped over a stone since I got the letter for my interview, and I am fairly fit, but my bmi is still way over 30%, and to be honest its getting difficult to drop bodyfat when there is not much left to drop and I'm afraid I'll just make myself ill by depleting myself any further. My question is, will the doctor and Chief Medical Officer take muscle weight into consideration regarding the BMI, even if it takes you way over the ideal BMI percentage spectrum?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

hitkiller what is the maximum bmi allowed and how do you calculate it cheers letters next week i think i rang this morning and she said they'd be out next week so hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

hit_killer wrote: »
    Ok guys I know I keep asking this and I know I'm probably getting too far ahead of myself as I have yet to recieve the outcome of my interview, but the BMI is seriously on my mind in relation to the medical. I have dropped over a stone since I got the letter for my interview, and I am fairly fit, but my bmi is still way over 30%, and to be honest its getting difficult to drop bodyfat when there is not much left to drop and I'm afraid I'll just make myself ill by depleting myself any further. My question is, will the doctor and Chief Medical Officer take muscle weight into consideration regarding the BMI, even if it takes you way over the ideal BMI percentage spectrum?

Thanks

If your BMI is over 30 and you will probably do a skinfold calliper test. This is used to measure the amount of body fat you have. This is usualy carried out on people who weightlift.

lozzy23 wrote: »
    hitkiller what is the maximum bmi allowed and how do you calculate it cheers letters next week i think i rang this morning and she said they'd be out next week so hopefully

Max BMI allowed is 30%, but I'm just not sure if that takes into account lean body mass, traditionally the way of determining BMI values was by height to weight ratio, but I feel that system is dated, as Macroman said maybe they will use calipers to give me the result of my bodyfat percentage as opposed to my BMI as a whole. Again this is all with the hope that I passed the interview stage, I have yet to recieve a letter with my outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tubes46

there interviewing up to 360, people after that are in batch 4, which public apps say will be called for interview before the end of the year. good luck to everyone who has applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

i found out im number 431 & was told im in next 120 to be called!! does anybody think they know when that might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pmcb_aura

Hi Folks

I think ill be in the next batch of interviews. does anyone know of any one that prepares you for the interview? similar to the guys that run courses for the Garda tests.

pmcb_aura wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I think ill be in the next batch of interviews. does anyone know of any one that prepares you for the interview? similar to the guys that run courses for the Garda tests.

I dunno if you got my last PM??

Got a phone call from my wife, my letter finally came and I passed the interview, happy days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

congrats hitkiller got my letter myself, wonder how many got in, happy days is right, so delighted

Thanks yeah, and same to you. I'm still trying to get my weight down before the medical, I reckon I may have to do the chester step test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

hit_killer wrote: »

Thanks

Haven't been on this for a while and am only just after seeing this. If your BMI is over 30 they will look at it but they usually let upto 31.5 go. Anything over this and you'll be asked to go for a step test. This involves stepping up and down off a step for 10 mins with the tempo increasing every 2 mins. Once you can do this they'll allow you to do the physical. They don't take skinfolds or take muscle into account. I know cause i had to do it. The only real down side of this is that it may hold you being called up to the physical and training for a few weeks.

Congrats on passing the interview and make sure to train for the 40 shuttles cause that's the only hard part.

portumna wrote: »
    Haven't been on this for a while and am only just after seeing this. If your BMI is over 30 they will look at it but they usually let upto 31.5 go. Anything over this and you'll be asked to go for a step test. This involves stepping up and down off a step for 10 mins with the tempo increasing every 2 mins. Once you can do this they'll allow you to do the physical. They don't take skinfolds or take muscle into account. I know cause i had to do it. The only real down side of this is that it may hold you being called up to the physical and training for a few weeks.

Congrats on passing the interview and make sure to train for the 40 shuttles cause that's the only hard part.

#
    Cool thanks, if I gotta do it then so be it, I am pretty confident in regards my fitness, so hopefully I'll pull through.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

I got a Snotty PM from a mod in regards to advertising a particular service on this thread in regards to interview training so if anybody wants to know the company that the Prison Service actually uses for their In-House Promotion training and who also does preparation courses for Interviews PM me.

• Advertisement

Congrats Everyone, I also got my letter too and I passed the interview :D
    Nervous about Stage 3 now

Advertisement