Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

dono if i'd believe a lot of it have heard them myself but doubt 80 are starting in november considering that we haven't done the pct yet and also the fact that ballad wouldn't cope with 160 at the same time but could see alot leaving the service if the croke park agreement is scraped

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

lozzy23 wrote: »
    dono if i'd believe a lot of it have heard them myself but doubt 80 are starting in november considering that we haven't done the pct yet and also the fact that ballad wouldn't cope with 160 at the same time but could see alot leaving the service if the croke park agreement is scraped

Lots of guys have said they would leave if there are more wage cuts. I will say to you what I have said to them. Leave to do what????? There are 450k unemployed, very few jobs so where would they go. People who say they would leave are talking through their backside if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Lots of guys have said they would leave if there are more wage cuts. I will say to you what I have said to them. Leave to do what????? There are 450k unemployed, very few jobs so where would they go. People who say they would leave are talking through their backside if you ask me

Let them.
    It createa more opportunities for people who will appreciate their jobs.

i'd have a feeling that the only people who will leave is those that can get early retirement or can fully retire which I'm lead to believe there is quite a few but sure ya never know, I'd totally agree with you yourwellcum any job is better than no job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m1se

There is lots of people thinking of leaving the prison service. You have to think alot first before you join.
    1 You will be stationed in Dublin for 4-5 years at least.
    2 The wages are not as very high
    3 So the cost of travelling and maybe renting takes alot out of your wages

You say any job is better than no job, remember that when if you get a job there and are complaining about the job and the wages when you get it. If you have a job ask someone who is in the prison service first before you make a decision about quitting your job.

• Advertisement

m1se wrote: »
    There is lots of people thinking of leaving the prison service. You have to think alot first before you join.
    1 You will be stationed in Dublin for 4-5 years at least.
    2 The wages are not as very high
    3 So the cost of travelling and maybe renting takes alot out of your wages

You say any job is better than no job, remember that when if you get a job there and are complaining about the job and the wages when you get it. If you have a job ask someone who is in the prison service first before you make a decision about quitting your job.

Do you have any figures?
    I have no idea what a RPO gets paid.

Do you have any figures?
    I have no idea what a RPO gets paid.

You are around 400e a week, then you have to take travel, food, rent from this.

Is that supposed to be net or gross?
    What's your source?

Is that supposed to be net or gross?
    What's your source?
    That is net pay If you are on roster and not paying Health insurance.
    My source is an officer.
    http://www.irishprisons.ie/documents/2008RPOrecruitmentadvertisement_000.pdf
    Take about 10-15 % off to get wages now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 col_

i did my interview last week, realistically how soon could i start assuming the medical and fitness goes well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

I am afraid your source is incorrect.

An RPO can expect to earn 950 net fortnightly before they are on the roster, this will of course increase with additional hours and sunday allowance once on the roster.

I am afraid your source is incorrect.

An RPO can expect to earn 950 net fortnightly before they are on the roster, this will of course increase with additional hours and sunday allowance once on the roster.

I'd be chuffed to work for either.

has anyone started training specifically for the shuttle runs? i'm reasonably fit, train for soccer two nights a week and a match on a sunday goin to get a couple of trainings in for the shuttle run thinkin of starting today just to see if anyone else has any feedback on this times etc and how fit you are cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

has anyone started training specifically for the shuttle runs? i'm reasonably fit, train for soccer two nights a week and a match on a sunday goin to get a couple of trainings in for the shuttle run thinkin of starting today just to see if anyone else has any feedback on this times etc and how fit you are cheers

Sure did, started them a few weeks ago, useless at first but now fairly ok, my best time was 3 minutes 15 seconds. Its the stopping and starting thats a killer.

what do ya mean the stopping and starting hitkiller? good running is it always running forward or have you to back pedal aswell have you heard anything bout the pct lately?

what do ya mean the stopping and starting hitkiller? good running is it always running forward or have you to back pedal aswell have you heard anything bout the pct lately?

We have to run back and forth 40 times at 15 meter intervals, when we hit the end of the 15 meter run we have to stop and run the opposite direction for 15 meters, then back again, this must be done 40 times, so its stopping and starting thats tougher than just running consistantly in the same direction.

I practice every 2nd day, in the evenings. I bought a 15 meter line from a hardware store and layed it out on a pathway in my local park and timed myself with the stopwatch on my phone, its tough with the rain and all but hopefully it will be worth it. I've started putting a few full bottles of water in a backpack and carrying that on my shoulders whilst doing the runs, makes it tougher, but on the day it may make it seem a little easier.

I have yet to hear anything about PCT, I have an appointment to see CHSOD this Friday to do that chester step test. Hopefully we will hear about the PCT soon.

yes i know what ya mean was just thinking of something else good stuff so you should fly the shuttles anyway good idea with the water to, have you played sports or kept fit before this?

yes i know what ya mean was just thinking of something else good stuff so you should fly the shuttles anyway good idea with the water to, have you played sports or kept fit before this?

Thanks. I've never really participated in the likes football or GAA or anything like that, just bodybuilding and martial arts, being doing those for years. Just had to work hard on the cardio lately because running is not my strong point at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

So do you have to run from one cone to another 40 times or one cone to another AND back 40 times?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

So do you have to run from one cone to another 40 times or one cone to another AND back 40 times?

You stand at point X, you run to point Y...You turn and point Y and run towards point X.... You then repeat this another 19 times..

X.............................................................................................Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

LoanShark wrote: »
    You stand at point X, you run to point Y...You turn and point Y and run towards point X.... You then repeat this another 38 times..

X.............................................................................................Y

Thats not accurate, you'd repeat this 19 times!!!!

Looks lads and ladies its simple 2 points 15 meters apart you run between dem 20 times UP AND BACK IS ONE. It shouldnt be a problem if your anyway fit at all, if your worried go out and do it once and den ya can take at least ten seconds of that time cause it easier on the day with the others encouraging you and so on den you no what your capable of

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Thats not accurate, you'd repeat this 19 times!!!!

Looks lads and ladies its simple 2 points 15 meters apart you run between dem 20 times UP AND BACK IS ONE. It shouldnt be a problem if your anyway fit at all, if your worried go out and do it once and den ya can take at least ten seconds of that time cause it easier on the day with the others encouraging you and so on den you no what your capable of

Well Spotted... You'll do well in the job...

The way you describe it is right.... I would tell eveyone to practice the shuttles...Be careful on the day that you dont get carried away with the mob, Some people will run like mad for the first number of runs and then end up knackered, If you are comfortable doing the runs at the pace you've trained at, Then thats the pace you should be doing..

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mick990

Hey lads does anyone know if we will be hit with this 10% reductions on new recruits to the public service that the government mentioned yesterday or will it be the next campaign ??

Part of me thinks it will be the next campaign but i do remember when we were called for interview they told us they had to implement the levys so will they implement this as well because as far as i know we won't sign any contract till we start in Belladd ??

Mick990 wrote: »
    Hey lads does anyone know if we will be hit with this 10% reductions on new recruits to the public service that the government mentioned yesterday or will it be the next campaign ??

Part of me thinks it will be the next campaign but i do remember when we were called for interview they told us they had to implement the levys so will they implement this as well because as far as i know we won't sign any contract till we start in Belladd ??

I expect we will get hit for this too.
    I mean we're not actually in training yet.

I expect we will get hit for this too.
    I mean we're not actually in training yet.

Thats what i was thinking and i have to be honest with what this brings the pay down to and the level of sh1t we will have to take i am really begining to ask myself is the job going to be worth it :(

But you're signing up for this job becuase you want to help to take care of, and reform these lads, right?

Ah yeah and to give back to the community :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

hi guys
    is there anyone that can help put here
    i m wondering if i get a heads up for some workouts in the gym ??
    any hints and ideas
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

you really need to watch all the rocky movies, for inspiration!

i think its been said before, practice your shuttle runs on an appropriate hard surface. do a few push ups while your watching rocky and if you think you really need remedial help, ask a buddy to do you up a training schedule with the relevant goals in mind. preferably a buddy that knows about training and stuff.

its not hard, just do little and often.

• Advertisement

In fairness, that's more than enough time to complete the task, even for an unfit person.

Advertisement