Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

have you done the shuttle runs yet? any word on when your pct is? heard that a lad i know is having his today he was in the top 20 and i'm in the top 40 but haven't heard anything bout it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

In fairness, that's more than enough time to complete the task, even for an unfit person.

One thing you will learn from the job, Assumption is the mother of all screw ups!!!!
    It all depends how much you want the job, if you want it badly then practice the running, first see if you can do the forty shuttles and then try to work on your timing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

wexfjord wrote: »
    you really need to watch all the rocky movies, for inspiration!

i think its been said before, practice your shuttle runs on an appropriate hard surface. do a few push ups while your watching rocky and if you think you really need remedial help, ask a buddy to do you up a training schedule with the relevant goals in mind. preferably a buddy that knows about training and stuff.

its not hard, just do little and often.

i am aware of the shuttle runs which i have been practising -- i want to know what can be done in the gym as you cant do shuttle runs in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

most adults will have no problem with the grip strength or shield hold and the fire extinguisher is not the 15 kilos. cant remember the weight for the ergometer jobby but make sure you can at least bench it times 5. you should have no bother with it but its better to be comfortable, at worst you dont want to look a tit in front of the rest of the group.

the shuttles are tough, but if you can do remotely near the time in practice, you will fly it on the day. make sure to cross/touch the line every time and dont worry about losing count, just keep running.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

i am aware of the shuttle runs which i have been practising -- i want to know what can be done in the gym as you cant do shuttle runs in there

Interval running on a treadmill can be fairly close to doing regular shuttle runs, basically its walking for 1 minute then fast running for 2 minutes then back to walking again then 2 minutes of fast running again, keep repeating this for 20 minutes, if you like you can do 30 seconds of walking then 1 minute of fast running and repeat...its just to break the consistancy of running continuously and to help you get used to stopping and restarting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

hit_killer wrote: »
    Interval running on a treadmill can be fairly close to doing regular shuttle runs, basically its walking for 1 minute then fast running for 2 minutes then back to walking again then 2 minutes of fast running again, keep repeating this for 20 minutes, if you like you can do 30 seconds of walking then 1 minute of fast running and repeat...its just to break the consistancy of running continuously and to help you get used to stopping and restarting.

thanks hit_killer
    this is just the sort of thing i need to work on now
    will start today when i go up to the gym
    :D:D
    went for a swim @ 630am this morning -- couldnt sleep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

So has anybody been contacted in regards to their physical yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Lads and Ladies,

anyone heard back on last batch of interviews yet ?. Is their a class starting soon ?. If you pass the interview how soon after is the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

New class started in Beladd yesterday apparently. I heard 80 recruits

Yet we haven't even heard of when our PCT is, so we're a a fair bit behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 211002

There's a class in training at the moment. Another one supposed to start in January as far i know

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

You've been misinformed...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

LoanShark wrote: »
    You've been misinformed...

I was surprised when I heard it and found it unusual that there had been no discussion on here about it. No problem apologising if my info misled anyone

all anyone has to do is ring the IPS, they told me the pct is on the 17th, and someone else told me there is a class finishing on the the 17th too, so i'd probably think that we're looking at a january start unless they bring us in the 20th for the week, haven't heard when there bringing us in yet. how are yee all getting on with the training bit tough with the amount of snow about isn't it, doing a bit in a local hall myself

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

Beladd can only take 40 at a time. usually when its 80 one group is back from familiarisation and the other group has only started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 211002

Easy way to know if theres a group training in Beladd. If the flags are flying at the gates, there is a class in training

• Registered Users Posts: 29 salut

HI Lozzy23 i was just wondering about something ,you said that there is a pct test on the 17th.Are you in that block doing the pct and did you get post to confirm this or did the ips confirm this to you through a telephone call.
    Thanks

Salut, I have talked to the IPS numerous times in the past couple of weeks and they have told me every time that the PCT is on the 17th and confirmation will be sent out either this week or early next week. Give them a call yourself and see what they tell you and let us know cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

Mick990 wrote: »
    Thats what i was thinking and i have to be honest with what this brings the pay down to and the level of sh1t we will have to take i am really begining to ask myself is the job going to be worth it :(
    nice one mick :)
    its not worth it! i'm in 5 years and i'm more or less back to the pay i first started when on probation. is it worth it? no its not for all the **** you deal with. get out and run while you can!
    don't become a bitter **** like me. theres more to life :)

lozzy23 wrote: »
    Salut, I have talked to the IPS numerous times in the past couple of weeks and they have told me every time that the PCT is on the 17th and confirmation will be sent out either this week or early next week. Give them a call yourself and see what they tell you and let us know cheers

Well if that's true, then it's today week and I haven't heard anything yet.
    Though it wouldn't be unlike them to dump this stuff on you at the last minute.

I assumed the PCT would only take a day, but people here are talking about a week!?

• Advertisement

i presume it only takes a day haven't heard anything to make me think otherwise has anyone rang them to ask about it? yes it wouldn't be to unlike them to spring it on us alright, dont know why we couldn't have been called to do it last week and get our contracts signed before the budget came in like they were hoping to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

tommy57 wrote: »
    Beladd can only take 40 at a time. usually when its 80 one group is back from familiarisation and the other group has only started.

The first two intakes of recruits to Beladd from the 2007 recruitment campaign had 4 classes of 22 recruits all at the same time. That's 88 recruits in Beladd all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pmcb_aura

Hi Folks

Im Just practising my shuttle run. i was wondering if anyone knows do you have to touch the ground 15m apart, does both feet need to cross a line 15m apart or is it just one foot that needs to cross the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

pmcb_aura wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Im Just practising my shuttle run. i was wondering if anyone knows do you have to touch the ground 15m apart, does both feet need to cross a line 15m apart or is it just one foot that needs to cross the line?

Just one foot has to touch the line but make sure it does as they will call you back if it doesn't and you'll lose a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Got a letter this morning passed the interview thank GOD. Anyone else got a letter. When is medical and audio long wait i guess.

macroman29 wrote: »
    Got a letter this morning passed the interview thank GOD. Anyone else got a letter. When is medical and audio long wait i guess.

You should get another letter shortly telling you all of this.

Though I got my flipping second letter first, then the next day, I got my first letter, to tell me I had passed in the first place.

congrats macroman shouldn't be to long await for ya, how many do the PCT at a time? anyone anyway worried about it? ie the shuttle runs

lozzy23 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, so I got my letter today, telling me that my PCT is on Friday.
    Very annoyed about this short notice.

I'd like to think that the IPS don't want recruits that would casually swan out for personal affairs on such short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Bloody hell, so I got my letter today, telling me that my PCT is on Friday.
    Very annoyed about this short notice.

I'd like to think that the IPS don't want recruits that would casually swan out for personal affairs on such short notice.

If you plan on becoming an officer you better get used to your personal plans being messed up at a moments notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

anybody any idea when next bunch of interviews might be?? im number 431 and was told il be in next batch of interviews!!

Advertisement