Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

If you plan on becoming an officer you better get used to your personal plans being messed up at a moments notice.

These aren't personal plans, they're work plans.

The IPS seem to think I can just swan out of work at a moments notice.
    I wonder if they would have a problem with me doing the same thing when I'm a prison officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I wonder if they would have a problem with me doing the same thing when I'm a prison officer.

You'll have to past the test on Friday to find out..

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

I started training with people who had only completed the PCT the previous friday. Short notice is very normal in the service.

If you are pissed off with this, what are you going to be like the first time you are conscripted for work at a days notice or for a reserve shift at a few hours notice. This happens so know what you are getting into

LoanShark wrote: »
    You'll have to past the test on Friday to find out..

Touché.
    I started training with people who had only completed the PCT the previous friday. Short notice is very normal in the service.
    Are you telling me that if I pass my PCT I could be called for training on Monday?

Touché.

Are you telling me that if I pass my PCT I could be called for training on Monday?

As I said it has happened before. It all depends on how many people they need to fill a class. I think its unlikely to happen in this instance but it certainly isnt a rarity

• Advertisement

As I said it has happened before. It all depends on how many people they need to fill a class. I think its unlikely to happen in this instance but it certainly isnt a rarity

And can you tell us anything else about the training or is that against the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

If you are pissed off with this, what are you going to be like the first time you are conscripted for work at a days notice or for a reserve shift at a few hours notice. This happens so know what you are getting into
    this is true. your life is now over. wait until you learn about their family friendly policy. you will never see your family again :eek:

this is true. your life is now over. wait until you learn about their family friendly policy. you will never see your family again :eek:

That doesn't sound particularly friendly.

That doesn't sound particularly friendly.
    lol no its not. but they will say they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 poshea69

i can't make pct this weekend ,i rang ips to explain and it looks like i missed my chance to become a prison officer, does seem fair to me, all that time wasted, i'll have to wait another 4 years, anyone know any way around this???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I suppose it all depends on the reason you can't make it. They must have an 'extenuating circumstance' clause in their policies somewhere? I would recommend you try and have your situation recognised as extenuating circumstances and appeal to be allowed to try the PCA at a later date - all in writing of course!
    poshea69 wrote: »
    i can't make pct this weekend ,i rang ips to explain and it looks like i missed my chance to become a prison officer, does seem fair to me, all that time wasted, i'll have to wait another 4 years, anyone know any way around this???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

got my letter yesterday , wasnt to be unfortunately :(

I wasnt expecting it though , felt very hard done by in the interview , found it very tough , in comparision other people said it went well , I was the 2nd last interview of the day so dont know if that had something to do with it if maybe they were tired haha .. , must admit I am very disappointed

lol no its not. but they will say they are.

Well I'll remain optomistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Arco 08

lakes1985 wrote: »
    anybody any idea when next bunch of interviews might be?? im number 431 and was told il be in next batch of interviews!!
    If Macroman was in the 360-480 group for interview,and you are 431 does that mean they interviewed less than the usual 120?Im in the 480 to 600 group and i thought there was a bit of light at the end of a long tunnel but if your 431 and haven't been interviewed yet then im in for a long wait still:(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jobhunter09

nice one mick :)
    its not worth it! i'm in 5 years and i'm more or less back to the pay i first started when on probation. is it worth it? no its not for all the **** you deal with. get out and run while you can!
    don't become a bitter **** like me. theres more to life :)

If you hate the job so much then just leave!!!

Haven't paid a visit to this page in a while and all ill say to lads and ladies is im in the job 6 odd months and loving it, work does be a bit of crack some the days, yes its long days and very unpredictable but at the very least a good steady job is not to be sniffed at, why dont ya quit and join the dole ques with half the country if you hate it so much Bitter_lemon???

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

Arco 08 wrote: »
    If Macroman was in the 360-480 group for interview,and you are 431 does that mean they interviewed less than the usual 120?Im in the 480 to 600 group and i thought there was a bit of light at the end of a long tunnel but if your 431 and haven't been interviewed yet then im in for a long wait still:(

wel i contacted them about a month ago & they said they had just done a group & that im in next group & im number 431! he said they couldnt be sure of when id be called up! thats why i was wondering if anybody might know something here??

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

macroman when were you contacted & heard about your interview? were you in group 360-480?

Haven't paid a visit to this page in a while and all ill say to lads and ladies is im in the job 6 odd months and loving it, work does be a bit of crack some the days, yes its long days and very unpredictable but at the very least a good steady job is not to be sniffed at, why dont ya quit and join the dole ques with half the country if you hate it so much Bitter_lemon???

Indeed.

Can't wait myself.
    Brickin the the pct tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Arco 08

lakes1985 wrote: »
    wel i contacted them about a month ago & they said they had just done a group & that im in next group & im number 431! he said they couldnt be sure of when id be called up! thats why i was wondering if anybody might know something here??
    I suppose we'l just have to wait and see what happens.Best of luck in your interview when it comes around anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hers3

anyone here get accepted for the job with a qualification other than a leaving ? or know of anyone who did ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

Indeed.

Can't wait myself.
    Brickin the the pct tomorrow.
    me too,id normally be fit,but havent done any training in about 6 months!is the 40 runs like a bleap test does anyone know??
    I just wish i still had the fitness i had 6 years ago,i got 94 runs back then...

you'd know you were only in 6 months with your fresh faced rookie enthusiasm. please what do you know? you haven't even run a landing! and don't say you have day in day out because you haven't. you should be concentrating on your essays for college :rolleyes: 6 months? ha come back after at least 4 years!
    can you get me another job in this economic climate?

in saying that best of luck to all who are going for it. this is a board for people either in training or inquiring about it and i will respect that.

you'd know you were only in 6 months with your fresh faced rookie enthusiasm. please what do you know? you haven't even run a landing! and don't say you have day in day out because you haven't. you should be concentrating on your essays for college :rolleyes: 6 months? ha come back after at least 4 years!

in saying that best of luck to all who are going for it. this is a board for people either in training or inquiring about it and i will respect that.

I know alot of guys in the job for 4 years and alot longer and they still love it and are not at all bitter. While your attitude is not uncommon in the job it certainly doesnt make it the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Hope the PCT went well for all today was there many tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Those of you in the custodal care course might recognize this attitude from some course work in semester 1 around toxic attatchment.

Bitter_Lemon's attitude shows everything that is wrong in the job. While berating the poster he will also expect the enthusiastic rookie to jump in for him when he intentionally drives a prisoner to lashing out at him.

Yes you lucky rookies you will meet this type of officer. My advice to you is to identify officers who you think do a good job and who wont drag you down to their level of bitterness.

You willl work with scum and then there are the prisoners

Come back to me when you have been posting on this site for 5 years Bitter_Lemon - now, how stupid does that sound.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I know people in my job who are doing it for over 25 years, and they're some of the soundest people I've ever met in my life. Great sense of humour, great outlook on life, absolute professionals at what they do any time I'm around. I feel like I'll always be in their shadow.

At the same time, there's people in the canteen who are in the job for the same amount of time, and they're bitter, snippy, aloof, arrogant and general assholes. They're everything I hope never to become.

It's been suggested by some of my colleagues that a job can only change you if you let it, depending on how strong you are as a person, and how strong your personality is. My job drags some people down to the depths of depression over time, or it can build you into a rock solid pillar of intelligence, experience and friendliness, depending on how you view life.

Because being a police officer is somewhat similar to being a prison officer - will you be a bitter lemon in 10 or 20 years' time, or will you be someone that the new guys will look up to for advice and guidance, hoping some day to be everything that you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I agree with mc Gyver and PSNI, Guys like Bitter Lemon exist in the job and they are the disease that causes bad atmosphere in the job, They are not happy until they have turned the attitude of others around them sour aswell, Thankfully guys like Bitter are slowly being shifted out of the job.. Use the rule of 5, ask 5 people for their opnion and then ask another 5 then use the best advice, You'll then be able to get to know the muppets whose advice is best avoided..

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

macroman29 wrote: »
    Hope the PCT went well for all today was there many tested.

Passed my PCT yesterday, happy days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

hit_killer wrote: »
    Passed my PCT yesterday, happy days. :D

Well done Bud,

Was it hard what did you have to do ?. did you run from two points or did you have to go round points?. did you get a contract and did they say how many is starting.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

macroman29 wrote: »
    Well done Bud,

Was it hard what did you have to do ?. did you run from two points or did you have to go round points?. did you get a contract and did they say how many is starting.:)

The 40 x 15 meter shuttles are especially tough, if your like me and got heavy feet, I can't recommend enough to get the practice in. :D

Advertisement