Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ebear24

macroman29 wrote: »
    Well done Bud,

Was it hard what did you have to do ?. did you run from two points or did you have to go round points?. did you get a contract and did they say how many is starting.:)
    I'd really advise everyone to practice the shuttle runs loads there a killer some in our group were only a few seconds out and they have to do it again... Its running from one point to another touching your line with your foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

ebear24 wrote: »
    I'd really advise everyone to practice the shuttle runs loads there a killer some in our group were only a few seconds out and they have to do it again... Its running from one point to another touching your line with your foot.

It was exhausting enough to begin with, I can't imagine having to go through it again immediately after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

I passed too last friday morn,i was in at 11.its not that bad.like the weights part were you have to get 34kg i was hitting like 70- 75kg and i havent been in the gym in over 6 months and id say i had about 50 secs left in the 40x15m run and havent even ran in about 5- 6 months,but then again im not over weight at all and play football every year and train 2-3 times a week when im playing..

so all in all if you play sports at all you have no probs,if not do a bit of running and weight training and you be fine also.

cob655 wrote: »
    havent even ran in about 5- 6 months,.

Like they said themselves, they don't want athletes.

You'd have to be quadraplegic to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 uachtar99

LoanShark wrote: »
    I agree with mc Gyver and PSNI, Guys like Bitter Lemon exist in the job and they are the disease that causes bad atmosphere in the job, They are not happy until they have turned the attitude of others around them sour aswell, Thankfully guys like Bitter are slowly being shifted out of the job.. Use the rule of 5, ask 5 people for their opnion and then ask another 5 then use the best advice, You'll then be able to get to know the muppets whose advice is best avoided..

Very true.......I'm twenty years in the job and I still enjoy it. You get a lot out of our job if you put something into it. There are a lot of caustic gob****es in the service but there are a lot of energetic, enthusiastic people as well. You have a decision to make when you take up the job, which type of person would you like to be in thirty years. I'd rather enjoy my work so I invest a bit of energy into it. How ****e would it be to be in a job you hate? Why would you stay in a job you hate? Can't understand people like that. They create a negative athmoshere in what is potentially a very rewarding career.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 uachtar99

If you hate the job so much then just leave!!!

Haven't paid a visit to this page in a while and all ill say to lads and ladies is im in the job 6 odd months and loving it, work does be a bit of crack some the days, yes its long days and very unpredictable but at the very least a good steady job is not to be sniffed at, why dont ya quit and join the dole ques with half the country if you hate it so much Bitter_lemon???

Well said horse.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

To all future recruits, keep an eye out for lads like bitter there. He will be the one hanging around the lives table, 5 stone overweight with a fag hanging from the side of his gob. He will not apply for any promotion or panels but will begrudge any officer who does and call him a c##ksucker. He will no doubt have aspirations for himself but won't make the effort to apply for anything because the other heroes around the lives table will slag him. The thing that really annoys him the most is that he believes that he is a brilliant officer and would make a cracking chief if only they would come to him and ask him to do be chief, but they won't and so he is left standing in the yard getting more and more bitter and the next thing he knows he has his 30 years done.

What's a live table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

What's a live table?

A pool table- they play 'lives' all lunch time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 211002

Lives. A chance to boost your income at lunch or tea time. Or split the winnings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Lives- The alternative to AH!! :)

Forget about Bitter,
    Rawhead pretty much hit it on the head about him...

Anybody receive their contracts yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Anybody receive their contracts yet?
    Nothing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dukes32

Anyone know what choices we have for accommodation if we are moving to Portlaoise for the 9 weeks training, or must we organise something ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Why is the training in portlaoise ?.

Dukes32 wrote: »
    Anyone know what choices we have for accommodation if we are moving to Portlaoise for the 9 weeks training, or must we organise something ourselves?
    A friend of mine who is a PO said that there is accomodation for 40 in Beladd and the rest will be put up in a local hotel or b+b's. I think if you live in the area you can commute daily but not 100% sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dukes32

A friend of mine who is a PO said that there is accomodation for 40 in Beladd and the rest will be put up in a local hotel or b+b's. I think if you live in the area you can commute daily but not 100% sure.
    Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pmcb_aura

Hi Lads

Anyone got any idea on the content for new recruits of the course/ training? is it tough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

macroman29 wrote: »
    Why is the training in portlaoise ?.

Cos thats where the Training and Development Centre is.

Dukes32 wrote: »

The online booklet said you can chose to live off site if you wish, though will not get any exemption if late etc..

Wish they had sent these damn contracts sooner so we could get on top of these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

Wish they had sent these damn contracts sooner so we could get on top of these things.

Have you recieved your contract? I have yet to get mine!!!

hit_killer wrote: »
    Have you recieved your contract? I have yet to get mine!!!

I haven't received my contract yet.

But going by past experience I'd say I won't have it until the 16th.
    Or the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

anyone any idea what the money situation is with the 10% pay cut? not long now lads, presume when your only 20 mins drive ya dont have to stay over?

lozzy23 wrote: »
    anyone any idea what the money situation is with the 10% pay cut?

All new applicants are subject to the 10% pay cut.
    I should expect that to include us.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

dont ya know it will, but have been talking to alot of PO's and the variance in starting wage is mad any idea of what we'll be starting on anyone?

lozzy23 wrote: »
    dont ya know it will, but have been talking to alot of PO's and the variance in starting wage is mad any idea of what we'll be starting on anyone?

That's another matter that does not appear to be clear cut.
    Another reason why I would like my contract asap so that I can clear it up.

All new applicants are subject to the 10% pay cut.
    I should expect that to include us.
    I could be wrong but I don't think that pay cut can come in until the finance bill is passed, and that won't happen for a good few weeks yet.

Perhaps you're right, but there's no reason why they can't impliment once we've started.

Furthermore, we're only going to be recruits for the next two years.

Perhaps it could hit us upon graduation.

Perhaps you're right, but there's no reason why they can't impliment once we've started.

Furthermore, we're only going to be recruits for the next two years.

Perhaps it could hit us upon graduation.
    I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Is it not 3 years as a recruit?

• Advertisement

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Is it not 3 years as a recruit?

Not sure, I haven't seen my contract yet ;)

Advertisement