Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Not sure, I haven't seen my contract yet ;)
    :)

Just had a look at the info booklet and it is 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

Guys your starting salary will not be much different from that which was advertised in the original recruitment poster. Expect to clear about 950 every 2 weeks while your 8-5 Mon to Fri. That will go up to almost 1100 when you get on the roster. Both of those figures exclude your Annualised hours(overtime)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Guys your starting salary will not be much different from that which was advertised in the original recruitment poster. Expect to clear about 950 every 2 weeks while your 8-5 Mon to Fri. That will go up to almost 1100 when you get on the roster. Both of those figures exclude your Annualised hours(overtime)

950 net or gross?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

950 net or gross?

950 before tax.

Still no sign of the contracts.

• Advertisement

How long would it take normally for you to get on the roster?

At this stage I'm not going to expect mine until next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

anyone ring jason in Hr might be worth a shot i'm goin to buzz him later when i get a chance normally very helpful with anything like that

How long would it take normally for you to get on the roster?

It depends on free spaces on the roster. It can happen almost straight away or can take 6 -9 months. All prisons are different at different times.

LoanShark wrote: »
    950 before tax.

950 after all deductions in my case

• Advertisement

It depends on free spaces on the roster. It can happen almost straight away or can take 6 -9 months. All prisons are different at different times.

But, is it common for an RPO to be put on the roster?

But, is it common for an RPO to be put on the roster?

Everyone gets on the roster should they wish to go on it, its all just a question of how long it takes. Being an RPO doesnt come into it

Everyone gets on the roster should they wish to go on it, its all just a question of how long it takes. Being an RPO doesnt come into it

Ok, thanks for the info.

Anybody had any luck contacting HR yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ebear24

Ok, thanks for the info.

Anybody had any luck contacting HR yet?

I contacted HR yesterday and I was told my clearance is not yet back... they have a lot in the same situation so their unsure about us starting the 17th like they had said.. He said he was gonna try push along our clearance but isnt definite about our start dates.

ebear24 wrote: »
    I contacted HR yesterday and I was told my clearance is not yet back... they have a lot in the same situation so their unsure about us starting the 17th like they had said.. He said he was gonna try push along our clearance but isnt definite about our start dates.

Ah bloody hell.

Biggest spanner in the works ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

950 after all deductions in my case

How long are you in there your wellcum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m1se

lozzy23 wrote: »
    How long are you in there your wellcum
    I would also like to know this. Have you still got your medical card and what tax credits have you got to have those wages.

I was talking to a person off the last group in and they were told they were the last group in before the 10% paycut.

There is bitterness in the job as like every job. Everyone has their own opinion but some are bitter for good reason. It is more obvious in the jail as you have more time to talk about it. The rosters depend on the jails, some of the last group got it after 5 days !!!

m1se wrote: »
    I would also like to know this. Have you still got your medical card and what tax credits have you got to have those wages.

I was talking to a person off the last group in and they were told they were the last group in before the 10% paycut.

There is bitterness in the job as like every job. Everyone has their own opinion but some are bitter for good reason. It is more obvious in the jail as you have more time to talk about it. The rosters depend on the jails, some of the last group got it after 5 days !!!

In less than a year and just have a standard tax credit. Dont know what you mean about medical card?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m1se

In less than a year and just have a standard tax credit. Dont know what you mean about medical card?????

Anyone with a medical card does not have to pay the levies

But you need to be below a certain income to get a medical card, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

m1se wrote: »
    Anyone with a medical card does not have to pay the levies
    But you need to be below a certain income to get a medical card, no?

Yes you do need to be below a certain income to have medical card- hence(unless you've lots of kids) you wont have one.
    Also the new 'Universal Charge' instead of the levies is applies to everyone, including medical card holders:mad: A few of my co-workers found out today:eek:

Is there a Vhi group scheme in the prison service does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Is there a Vhi group scheme in the prison service does anyone know?

There isn't a VHI scheme, but there is a private group that operates for officers and staff..

Also, to all the other candidates, For the first three years your money is going to be crap,You can winge and moan about it all you like, But you're not gonna change it. If you're lucky to get on the roster quick enough, this will help your earnings (not by much,but it will help!)..
    The service can change whatever they like about the contract since they are the ones who are offering the job!! We had to start on lower money than what we where told about in the advertisment..The way I look at it, is its a damn site better than the dole!!!

LoanShark wrote: »
    There isn't a VHI scheme, but there is a private group that operates for officers and staff..

Also, to all the other candidates, For the first three years your money is going to be crap,You can winge and moan about it all you like, But you're not gonna change it. If you're lucky to get on the roster quick enough, this will help your earnings (not by much,but it will help!)..
    The service can change whatever they like about the contract since they are the ones who are offering the job!! We had to start on lower money than what we where told about in the advertisment..The way I look at it, is its a damn site better than the dole!!!
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

ebear24 wrote: »

I was talking to somebody on the 29th of dec,he said they were still waiting on most of the clearance's to come through and was hoping they would get them 1st week in jan,doesnt look like they came through as I still havent heard any word.
    I was told if mine doesnt come through before the 17th that I would be in the next group to start,but anyone know when that's likey to start?could be next year for all we know..

I think ill give them another ring in the next few days to see if theres any word as Ill have to give my current job my notice..

oh also rang the garda vetting and was told it norm takes between 12 and 14 weeks for a clearance to come though and they wouldnt give me any other info on it as they only give the Prison service info on applicants..
    like i sent mine in at the end of sept i think,so hears praying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 211002

Looks like 40 starting on the 17th and 40 on the 31st of January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

211002 wrote: »
    Looks like 40 starting on the 17th and 40 on the 31st of January
    where did you hear about the 31st??
    if thats the case then it wouldnt be too bad,just the thoughts of missing out on starting on the 17th because my clearance didnt come through yet and maybe not getting in for another 6months would kill me!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭innercitydub2

Reading through everyones post about getting ready to go down or are already POs sure is making me a bitter lemon :D. I was too young the last time there was a recruitment drive and its looking like im going to be waiting a very long time before it opens back up again.

Does anyone no when or possibly there will be another recruitment drive for the PS?

In the Garda Reserve and doing a 3 year degree relevant to work simaliar to Garda,Prison Guards and Probation officers.

Realy thinking of applying to a police of prison service abroad if nothing comes up in the near future.

Going to hold out until my degree is fisnhed in the hope fine gael or labour get the ball rolling with recruiting again.

Hopefuly

Anyways good luck to everyone starting there training ;)

Contract arrived this morning.

Heading down on the 17th.
    w00t!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ebear24

Contract arrived this morning.

Heading down on the 17th.
    w00t!

Yeah thats great I heard contracts were posted yesterday and there are 2 starting dates the 17th and31st... I hope I get mine today too.... are you happy with it.. also u have a very early postman.. I surely wont get mine until 3 or 4 :(

Advertisement