Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

ebear24 wrote: »
    Yeah thats great I heard contracts were posted yesterday and there are 2 starting dates the 17th and31st... I hope I get mine today too.... are you happy with it.. also u have a very early postman.. I surely wont get mine until 3 or 4 :(

Doubt it was posted yesterday if I got it today, and yep, posty was remarkably early.

Delighted with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bowdie4733

Got my Contract today!!! :D

17th Of Jan Start date!! Cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

was told that my clearance wasn't back and that the gardai didnt do the vetting anymore it was another crowd but was told the contracts would be sent out yesterday and i would receive mine this morning but haven't heard anything yet why dont they do the vetting in order of where you came through interview or whats the point in giving you a number and also its not as if i have any convictions and have only lived in one address for my whole life dono whats going on with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

lozzy23 wrote: »
    was told that my clearance wasn't back and that the gardai didnt do the vetting anymore it was another crowd but was told the contracts would be sent out yesterday and i would receive mine this morning but haven't heard anything yet why dont they do the vetting in order of where you came through interview or whats the point in giving you a number and also its not as if i have any convictions and have only lived in one address for my whole life dono whats going on with them

i was thinking the same thing and ive lived in the same address all my life,and to add to that my sis got into the gardi between 2 and 3 years ago,so they wouldnt have to look that far back in my familys record/history...

i rang up today and told the class starting on the 17th was full but their hoping the rest of the clearances will come back next week so they can give 2 weeks notice for the people starting on the 31st...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 d2k7x

i passed my fitness test today. there were only seven of us. for two of us it was our first attempt and passed :) 3 people failed :( we got our measurements taken and were told that we should be starting on the 31st of january. i rang the HR department to change my address and was just told my garda clearance as yet to come through, so hopefully soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Is there a Vhi group scheme in the prison service does anyone know?

Prison Officers Medical Aid Society

http://www.pomas.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 d2k7x

Doubt it was posted yesterday if I got it today, and yep, posty was remarkably early.

Delighted with it.

what exactly does it say on your contract??

d2k7x wrote: »
    what exactly does it say on your contract??

In regards to what?

doe sit give any indication what you'll be taking home a week or anything like that

Nope.
    It lists three pay rates, but does not elaborate on which we will have.
    Then it basically says that this doesn't include over time, which one will have to be prepared for.

Furthermore, it doesn't give any details about allowances etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Looks like it's the 31st for me. No security clearance yet:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

Looks like it's the 31st for me. No security clearance yet:mad:

Lads said it before here the clearance can take up to a year and half and thats no b******T.

tommy57 wrote: »
    Lads said it before here the clearance can take up to a year and half and thats no b******T.
    Whats annoying me is that I had to get vetted in my last job only 12 months ago and it only took about 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

Whats annoying me is that I had to get vetted in my last job only 12 months ago and it only took about 3 weeks.

I know man its a joke but if you have any type of record inclouding motor offences it will hold you up. its a 10 year background check. the clearance holds so many up.

Note that the Gardaí are very under-staffed at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 no1horse

do you know when they might be recruiting??

was it not only a 6 year background check? it is a pain alright better not take a year and a half where is it done now anyways?

lozzy23 wrote: »
    was it not only a 6 year background check? it is a pain alright better not take a year and a half where is it done now anyways?
    Its done down in Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

The civil service doesn't care if you're waiting years. Don't be surprised if your clearance doesn't come before then .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ebear24

See youu the 17th I got my contract too. nervous now I must say... did you notice on the contract we get paid fortnightly... do you think we will have to work like for a month before we get any wages??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

much safe than Garde

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Security Clearance is not carried out by GS. Your vetting form goes to the Northern Ireland Security Section in the Department of Justice. Thats why it takes so long.

macroman29 wrote: »
    Security Clearance is not carried out by GS. Your vetting form goes to the Northern Ireland Security Section in the Department of Justice. Thats why it takes so long.
    Then why did it have the Garda logo on the form?

no1horse wrote: »
    do you know when they might be recruiting??

Yeah they recruited last night, you missed it.
    ebear24 wrote:
    See youu the 17th I got my contract too. nervous now I must say... did you notice on the contract we get paid fortnightly... do you think we will have to work like for a month before we get any wages??

Yeah I saw that.
    I shouldn't think we will have to do a back week....it's not something often associated with the civil service.0

What I'm curious about is the pay scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Gardai are part of Dept of justice and their are guardi in that section.

Then why did it have the Garda logo on the form?

macroman29 wrote: »
    Gardai are part of Dept of justice and their are guardi in that section.

So a company in the North does the background checks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ebear24

Yeah they recruited last night, you missed it.

Yeah I saw that.
    I shouldn't think we will have to do a back week....it's not something often associated with the civil service.0

What I'm curious about is the pay scale.

Me too its weird that there is 3 different pay scales what do you think thats about??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

No, you'll be paid on the next pay day after you start.
    Payslips come on a Weds and the money is in the bank on the Thursday.

If you're starting on the 17th of Jan then the next pay day is Thurs 27th.
    If somebody were to start on the 24th then they'd be paid on the same date, but proportional to their start date (i.e. you'd have a weeks wages more than them). The working week starts on a Saturday BTW.

Good luck to all those that are starting soon.
    The first few years will be tough enough but hopefully you'll all find it worth it in the end. The first few days/weeks in a 'real' jail will be petrifying for a lot of people and you'll probably question your own sanity but that feeling usually goes fairly quickly as you settle in. If you are having trouble settling and/or are especially nevous then talk to somebody about it. Almost everybody there will know exactly how you're feeling. There are SSOs' (Staff Support Officers) available to talk to in confidence if you feel that you can't discuss it with just anybody. They're very good and will assist you in any way that they can.

Enjoy, and hopefully we'll see you along the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

Me too its weird that there is 3 different pay scales what do you think thats about??

Not wierd at all, very simple....

Starting off, you'll be an RPO Year 1 so you'll be on first (lowest) pay grade
    After 1 year you'll be RPO Year 2 so you'll be on second (middle) pay grade
    After 2 years you'll be RPO Year 3 so you'll be on highest of the three pay grades mentioned for an RPO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭cob655

any one have any idea on when these clearances will come back??I was supposed start on the 17th but my clearance still wasnt back,please god it comes back soon so i can start on the 31st!!

Advertisement