Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

cob655 wrote: »
    any one have any idea on when these clearances will come back??I was supposed start on the 17th but my clearance still wasnt back,please god it comes back soon so i can start on the 31st!!
    I'm in the same boat. I rang that chap Jason in HR on Monday and he said to ring back at the end of next week. Some on here are saying that the clearances can take months/years to come throught but all of us would have sent our forms in around the same time and 40 of them have already been done. Here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 d2k7x

Not wierd at all, very simple....

Starting off, you'll be an RPO Year 1 so you'll be on first (lowest) pay grade
    After 1 year you'll be RPO Year 2 so you'll be on second (middle) pay grade
    After 2 years you'll be RPO Year 3 so you'll be on highest of the three pay grades mentioned for an RPO.

i was reading through the comments and was gonna say the exact same thing as u! are they just the normal pay rates without over time ect ect??

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

d2k7x wrote: »
    i was reading through the comments and was gonna say the exact same thing as u! are they just the normal pay rates without over time ect ect??

Yes, they dont include any allowances or overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

CO is the term for Prison Officer in the America......This is a very good video . Very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It might be a little different here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

It might be a little different here...

If you think it's going to be different here then you're going for the wrong job mate. It couldn't have been more accurate.

If you think it's going to be different here then you're going for the wrong job mate. It couldn't have been more accurate.
    No, sounds like you're in the wrong job.

I can't wait.

I can't wait.

Piece of advice, if you go working in the jails with that attitude you wont last pissing time because you will alienate yourself from your colleagues

You know nothing about the job you are about to start. I really enjoy what I do but with the exception of the bit about the reduced life expectancy that clip is very accurate and very funny.

Best of luck to anyone starting on Monday. Hopefully see you's in a few weeks.

So can anybody tell us what the digs are like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Too true - that video is scarily accurate!!!

That said, it's a grand job all told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

I can't wait.

What a muppet. You know absolutley nothing about the job and yet still think you know best.

That's a couple of times now i've seen you refuse to take take well-intentioned advice on board and plough ahead with your own ideas. Two other posters above, who obviously have similar experience to my own, have verified what i have said but dont let that stop you.

By the way, there's a saying in training that every group has a heatseeker, a gob****e who does his own thing and makes the others look good. They say if you dont think there's one in your group, then it's you.

Looking forward to seeing you in the jails, you wont be difficult to spot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bowdie4733

Im starting On Monday the 17th In Portlaoise!

I cant wait but am feeling slightly nervous about the job Im going to be training for. I know its going to be tough and reading the honest posts of obviously experienced officers, the nerves are getting a bit more intense.

But in saying that I trust that training and working alongside experienced officers will give me a sense of security and experience and hopefully the job is going to be fulfilling and enjoyable but admittingly with its share of challenge. Cheers to the people who have posted here offering a currently working officers perspective, its been a great insight before I even start to train.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Infracted for personal abuse.

Keep it civil please.

What a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Best of luck to all the lads and ladies starting on monday. The views are mixed on this thread. The best advice is from people in the job. Good Luck :)

What a muppet. You know absolutley nothing about the job and yet still think you know best.

That's a couple of times now i've seen you refuse to take take well-intentioned advice on board and plough ahead with your own ideas. Two other posters above, who obviously have similar experience to my own, have verified what i have said but dont let that stop you.

By the way, there's a saying in training that every group has a heatseeker, a gob****e who does his own thing and makes the others look good. They say if you dont think there's one in your group, then it's you.

Yes, you seem deeply unhappy in your job, you've made it quite clear.
    Is there anything else I need to take on board.

Yes there is. Guys who come into the job thinking they know it all or know better than those who have gone before them are hated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I don't really think you need to take anything on board by the sound of things. Just go in Monday morning, pick up your uniform and head for Mountjoy. Tell Ned to touch off home as you will be running the jail from here in. The experience you Kilmainham warders have is invaluable to the service.
    Good luck to all the crew starting Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 uachtar99

Just relax mo chara, you'll be grand.

haha good reply! had a good laugh while reading that!

• Advertisement

hey guys and girls im new to this! em was just wondering if there is anybody out there that have recieved word about starting on the 31st? i passed my fitness test on the 7th of january and were told we should be starting on the 31st but after reading a few comments about the clearances im not sure :(

Hi lads. Are the pay rates on the contracts the same as advertised on the PS website (3 point scale 25k - 28k) or has the 10% pay cut been applied? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Too true - that video is scarily accurate!!!

That said, it's a grand job all told.

I agree.. That video is really close to what we do and what we have to put up with..

To those who think what that video says is untrue, You need to wake up...FAST...

Good luck to those who are in on Monday, You'll enjoy your training..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

To all starting that are nervous just relax. The most important things you need in the service are a bit of cop on and a good sense of humour. Im in 6 months now and i love it. Just indentify the cabbages early and avoid any advice from them and you'll fine. Its a lot more relaxed inside the prison than most would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 uachtar99

portumna wrote: »
    To all starting that are nervous just relax. The most important things you need in the service are a bit of cop on and a good sense of humour. Im in 6 months now and i love it. Just indentify the cabbages early and avoid any advice from them and you'll fine. Its a lot more relaxed inside the prison than most would think.

True dat......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 211002

Best of luck to all starting in the morning. Keep the head down and remember every day is a learning day. The job is tough but your colleagues will help you through it. You'll have good days and bad days(to quote the half door) but we all survive.

Yes there is. Guys who come into the job thinking they know it all or know better than those who have gone before them are hated.

And when exactly did I profess to know it all, or know better than those that have gone before me?

It seems that in being enthusiastic about starting a new career, I have been exposed as a muppet, a gob****e and a 'heatseeker'.

But I don't want to further alienate myself from my colleagues, so I'll change my attitude.
    Tell me though, if I start with a chip on my shoulder, will I fit in from the get go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 211002

You wouldnt be the first with a chip on their shoulder, you wont be the last. We all want to clock out at the end of each day safe and healthy. When you get posted to your jail, just observe your colleagues and learn from them. We were all red arses at one stage. You'll spot the muppets very quickly.

And when exactly did I profess to know it all, or know better than those that have gone before me?

It seems that in being enthusiastic about starting a new career, I have been exposed as a muppet, a gob****e and a 'heatseeker'.

But I don't want to further alienate myself from my colleagues, so I'll change my attitude.
    Tell me though, if I start with a chip on my shoulder, will I fit in from the get go?

Grow up kid, your 30 wont seem as long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

with all these new social charges and what ever what should a single RPO hope to take home a week and also how did today go for all in Ballad

Advertisement